What's new

Sony shelved "The Interview"

It was all probably a big publicity stunt to get the film more attention than it sounds like it deserves.

Frank

This thought also crossed my mind and was the deciding factor for me to not bother with it. Well, that and it just wasn't even appealing to me anyway. The concept was nothing short of juvenile.

This thought also crossed my mind and was the deciding factor for me to not bother with it. Well, that and it just wasn't even appealing to me anyway. The concept was nothing short of juvenile.
Maybe it's just me, but I liked the days when creativity sold stories over cheap carny stunts designed to create hype and controversy. Also, just because a right exists, sometimes exercising that right for the sake of exercising it. I've seen people in the past who think it's funny to mock and deride a group, citing their right to do so, then rolling on the floor and expressing outrage whenever their favorite group gets the same treatment. Again, I'm old fashioned, but common courtesy and the Golden Rule seemed to work pretty well for many years.

Maybe it's just me, but I liked the days when creativity sold stories over cheap carny stunts designed to create hype and controversy. Also, just because a right exists, sometimes exercising that right for the sake of exercising it. I've seen people in the past who think it's funny to mock and deride a group, citing their right to do so, then rolling on the floor and expressing outrage whenever their favorite group gets the same treatment. Again, I'm old fashioned, but common courtesy and the Golden Rule seemed to work pretty well for many years.

It isn't just you. Unfortunately, we are all complicit. I too miss when creativity was front and centre. Shock value and controversy doesn't hold a candle to the imagination, but it is seemingly the norm now-a-days. Maybe it's just me, but I find it to be more boring than entertaining. Nevertheless, there was certainly a buzz in the air, surrounding this movie.

Last edited:
You want creativity? Watch Birdman instead of a Seth Rogen movie.
Watch Guardians of the Galaxy. Watch The Grand Budapest Hotel, Interstellar.
Want acting that blows the socks of every wooden actor of.old? Watch The Theory of Everything or The Imitation Game, Mr Turner ir Under The Skin.

Sorry for the rant, but picking The Interview as the shining example of today's film industry is a bit like picking out a Rimei razor from a pile of Hart Steel straights and saying "I don't think much of the razors these days"

No need for a rant. I'm just tired of the "poke the bear" approach that has been more common lately. They just don't compare to say... All of the movies you just listed. Seriously it's garbage. That's all I was saying. I know there are plenty of films with merit out there still. And to add, in my own defence, this thread is in fact regarding a Seth Rogan movie!

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
You want creativity? Watch Birdman instead of a Seth Rogen movie.
Watch Guardians of the Galaxy. Watch The Grand Budapest Hotel, Interstellar.
Want acting that blows the socks of every wooden actor of.old? Watch The Theory of Everything or The Imitation Game, Mr Turner ir Under The Skin.

Sorry for the rant, but picking The Interview as the shining example of today's film industry is a bit like picking out a Rimei razor from a pile of Hart Steel straights and saying "I don't think much of the razors these days"

Or, if you want to see incredible acting with zero special effects, try 12 Angry Men
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12_Angry_Men_(1957_film)

I agree this is garbage. It was just the broad brush you painted "the norm these days" that got my goat.
Not my intention to generalize. I was comparing films that take this approach in context to this profound new "genre". Didn't mean for it to come off so broad :)

Last edited:
When I was in high school, I worked at a movie theatre. Judging from my experience, I am 100% sure that most people thought The Interview was actually a good movie :sleep:

Some of you sound like you're surprised this movie had toilet humor and wasn't very creative. What did you expect before you saw it?? I knew what I should be expecting when you have Seth Rogen. So, I had to adjust my view on the movie. Was it entertaining? Sure. Did it make me laugh, yes. Were there penis jokes? Of course, it made me cringe but I expected it. Will it win an Oscar? No, and I don't expect it will ever be nominated. With movies like this, you should know it should be taken with a grain of salt. It's like being surprised when Taylor Swift makes a song about a romance/break-up.

Top Bottom