What's new

Soap vs Creme

How much do you pay to Uberlather ? Also how do you quantify "roughly the same" translates to not quite as good. So how much is Proraso Soap, Proraso cream and your preshave oil ? Perhaps the difference in price between all 3 is not so much :) and you can have a better product with better ingredients and put a smile on everyones face :) IMHO, and YMMV

Who cares? They don't make it any more anyway. You wanted feedback. I gave it to you. That's as much as I'm prepared to offer at the moment.

That is not fact just conjecture on your part based on hearsay.

There are two members who report in your SMN thread that they have been to Florence, and say that the cream sells for around 35 Euros at the SMN pharmacy there. While my report of their reports is hearsay, their reports are not hearsay; they are eyewitness accounts, and you can read them for yourself.

I don't see what is conjecture about what I've said. If it is true that SMN cream sells for 35 Euros ($39.60 US) retail by the manufacturer, then it is also true that the US retail price of $71 is 78% higher than the company's retail price. That's not conjecture. That's math. Given that manufacturing and material cost is already accounted for in the manufacturer's retail price (it would have to be, or SMN would be selling at a loss), that means that whatever the US increase might be based on (importation, distribution, market position, etc.), it's not based on the actual manufacturing or materials in the cream.

Your TF cream does not come close to CF. While CF is a top 10 crème.

I'm not sure what TF cream is. Do you mean Truefitt & Hill?

I'm familiar with the Castle Forbes line. I have all three scents of their creams and their aftershave balms, as well as their preshave. I have also had an in-depth conversation with Andrew French, the brand's creator, about the company's origins, manufacturing process, quality control and customer service methods. Whatever my qualifications might be for commenting on the relative value of SMN cream, I'm certainly qualified to offer opinions on CF relative to other creams I've tried.

Given that, I can state with confidence that your comment that TF cream (assuming you mean T&H) "does not come close" to Castle Forbes is purely subjective, and certainly subject to debate. Stating it as objective fact is nonsense. CF is an excellent cream, but so is T&H. Both have a place in my rotation, and on my list of top five favorite creams.

Last edited:
There are two members who report in your SMN thread that they have been to Florence, and say that the cream sells for around 35 Euros at the SMN pharmacy there. While my report of their reports is hearsay, their reports are not hearsay; they are eyewitness accounts, and you can read them for yourself.]

So what, who cares what it sells for ? You are the obsessed with the pricing. And you know these people how ? At the moment it is hearsay not fact.

I don't see what is conjecture about what I've said. If it is true that SMN cream sells for 35 Euros ($39.60 US) retail by the manufacturer, then it is also true that the US retail price of $71 is 78% higher than the company's retail price. That's not conjecture. That's math.] Again who cares but you ? [Given that manufacturing and material cost is already accounted for in the manufacturer's retail price (it would have to be, or SMN would be selling at a loss), that means that whatever the US increase might be based on (importation, distribution, market position, etc.), it's not based on the actual manufacturing or materials in the cream.

Of course there is much more that goes into pricing including positioning in the market place.

I'm not sure what TF cream is. Do you mean Truefitt & Hill?

Yes, I mean TH which of course is not in the same league as CF, YMMV

I'm familiar with the Castle Forbes line. I have all three scents of their creams and their aftershave balms, as well as their preshave. I have also had an in-depth conversation with Andrew French, the brand's creator, about the company's origins, manufacturing process, quality control and customer service methods. Whatever my qualifications might be for commenting on the relative value of SMN cream, I'm certainly qualified to offer opinions on CF relative to other creams I've tried. It does seem if what you are saying is true, that you are able to comment on CF.

Given that, I can state with confidence that your comment that TF cream (assuming you mean T&H) "does not come close" to Castle Forbes is purely subjective, and certainly subject to debate. Stating it as objective fact is nonsense. CF is an excellent cream, but so is T&H. Both have a place in my rotation, and on my list of top five favorite creams.

I am sorry, do not know how to break up the diatribe :)

I am sorry, do not know how to break up the diatribe :)

Yeah, I can get a bit crotchety. I've been at traditional wet shaving for over a decade, and know through experience exactly how much enjoyment I can get out of a grooming product relative to its price. Admittedly, it rubs me the wrong way when a guy who has only been at this game for seven months acts like he's in a position to tell everyone else what the "best of the best" is because he's in the first flush of product discovery euphoria. I understand your enthusiasm. I've been there myself. Given that, I should learn to keep my mouth shut and let you have your fun.

Yeah, I can get a bit crotchety. I've been at traditional wet shaving for over a decade, and know through experience exactly how much enjoyment I can get out of a grooming product relative to its price. Admittedly, it rubs me the wrong way when a guy who has only been at this game for seven months acts like he's in a position to tell everyone else what the "best of the best" is because he's in the first flush of product discovery euphoria. I understand your enthusiasm. I've been there myself. Given that, I should learn to keep my mouth shut and let you have your fun.

No worries, all is fine, Yes, i have been wet shaving only 7 months and have much to learn. I have bought and sold or given away more than 40 soaps, cremes and croaps. I have done polls on the chat boards to see if the group feels as i do about a certain soap or creme. I want to have the best of the best, regardless of the cost. Its only soap, and how much in the scheme of things does it cost? Cars, can cost hundreds of thousands of dollars and more, to determine what is automotive greatness. So for 50.00 more i can actually have a great product :) I hope that i have not said anything to offend you , if i have i apologize. I love this wet shaving, i look forward to it each morning. Personally, i do not understand the whole soap rotation unless they are all like quality, so it really does not make a difference which one you pick. I personally do not care about scent, i know i am in the minority. I also know from other hobby chatrooms that i am in, that most are silent, and just read. I am more of a in your face kind of guy :) Sounds like you also, so we should get along great. I feel as long one tells the truth, not too much damage can be done.

I use both, but mainly soaps. With decent prep and technique the shave is equally good across all soaps and creams.
I go with what I feel like on the day. Although in hot and muggy weather it's hard to steer clear of a cold water shave with Proraso Green. Incredibly refreshing.

Top Bottom