What's new

Soap vs Creme

With this thought process, you would also feel that a Fiat 500 ($10,000) is of the same quality as a La Ferrari (2,000,000) , although owned by the same company (FCAU) and use the same ingredients? Not !

Indeed. I think the Fiat 500 is more reliable. Seriously.

About expensive shaving products; I am sure that there is a large markup due to marketing and smaller volumes. I really wonder if the net price of the ingredients is that much different.

Indeed. I think the Fiat 500 is more reliable. Seriously.

About expensive shaving products; I am sure that there is a large markup due to marketing and smaller volumes. I really wonder if the net price of the ingredients is that much different.

LOL, Probably :) on reliability but not on quality, function or performance, however the cost of the ingredients in shaving soaps/cremes although more expensive on a net basis perhaps not much in our terms, but could be a huge percentage difference. i.e essential oils are MUCH more expensive than fragrance . I can tell you that the quality becomes apparent when you compare and contrast one against the other.

My common sense tells me that the high prices of Xpec, SMN and AdP, relative to those of brands like Castle Forbes, T&H or DRH, are attributable mostly to market positioning. If your common sense tells you something different, our common senses can agree to disagree.

LOL, i will agree to disagree, however unless you have used the 6 brands listed above as I have, how are you able to comment on the quality, performance or value ? SMN gives the finest shave with the finest ingredients on the planet earth. Try it for a week.

I like them all for different reasons. Scent is taken into consideration as well as performance. I think the differences in them is what makes soaps unique and sometimes I just want something different. I don't take into account $$, i pay for it if i like it. But i do still get fantastic shaves from a stick of palmolive and arko and also a fantastic shave from MDC and CF.

Remember take into account YMMV. And what works for some might not work for you. If the cheaper soaps are working great for you, fantastic. If the more expensive stuff tickle your fancy and your ok with the price tag. Then that works for you. Everything has its place.

It's all very subjective if you ask me.
There is probably a lot of great advice in it. But when it comes to my face, my shave, the only opinion I trust is my own. Oh and a small handful of senior members of B&B, very small handful.

So to the original question...Do I think soaps provide a closer shave than cream? No, I do not.

I can get a BBS shave with a can of Barbasol. I can get a BBS shave with AOS cream. I can get a BBS shave with VDH. I can get a BBS shave with custom made soap by Joel.

Quite honestly...I think it boils down to more of your tools and techniques rather than soap or cream.

I think there's not a correct answer. IMHO, whatever works for you is the correct answer.

I would have to take in consideration, brush, water, water temperature, water hardness or softness, etc. Too many variables to make a specific statement as the one that started the thread. Of course, this is just my opinion:001_smile

Some very good and valid points.

i use both, and get good shaves from both, my Proraso Blue, TOBS Avocado, GFT Spanish Leather cremes make very nice lather, as does my soaps (GFT Eurcris, Truefitt & Hill Sandalwood, Dr. Harris Marlborough, Proraso Green, Tabac, QCS). However i do prefer using soaps.

i like the loading of my brush off of a puck.

LOL, i will agree to disagree, however unless you have used the 6 brands listed above as I have, how are you able to comment on the quality, performance or value ?

I'm not. I've never commented on the actual performance of any of them, except the old formula SMN, which I have used. (I've still got a seven-year-old, mostly full tub of it in my stash, which shows you how much I like it.) I wouldn't even have said anything in here, except that you proclaimed, point-blank, the über-high-end products use superior ingredients. That took the conversation away from subjective appreciation into a matter of factual accuracy.

As for why I don't buy into the hype, I said all I need to say in another thread. To quote myself: "the feeling I'm getting fleeced offsets any potential enjoyment I'd get out of the product."

With this thought process, you would also feel that a Fiat 500 ($10,000) is of the same quality as a La Ferrari (2,000,000) , although owned by the same company (FCAU) and use the same ingredients? Not ! Should you wish to believe the same quality of ingredients, as a Castle Forbes , TH, DRH Etc. you are sadly mistaken, sorry my friend , perhaps Xpec is more expensive, however it is made of higher quality material, lasts longer, shaves better, slicker, and provides a better shave. IMHO, YMMV not ! just fact

Care to examine the difference between a $30K Chevrolet and a $50K Buick?

In my experience the major difference between "expensive" soaps and Artisan soaps is the Artisan soaps are mostly poured soaps, ie. a single process step, while the more expensive soaps are triple milled or otherwise more processed.

Granted, extra manufacturing stages adds costs to the product. But without some quantitative data about ingredients all one can really say is "I like this one better."

I'm not. I've never commented on the actual performance of any of them, except the old formula SMN, which I have used. (I've still got a seven-year-old, mostly full tub of it in my stash, which shows you how much I like it.) I wouldn't even have said anything in here, except that you proclaimed, point-blank, the über-high-end products use superior ingredients. That took the conversation away from subjective appreciation into a matter of factual accuracy.

As for why I don't buy into the hype, I said all I need to say in another thread. To quote myself: "the feeling I'm getting fleeced offsets any potential enjoyment I'd get out of the product."

Jerry, I dont know about the older forumulation if any on SMN nor do i know how well the creme would last for 7 years, however, please use it in the morning and tell me your thoughts on the product?

it might be just because I'm weird, but I find creams to give me a less irritable shave. Every time I shave with soap I get a few bumps here and there, but with creams I get nothing.

Jerry, I dont know about the older forumulation if any on SMN nor do i know how well the creme would last for 7 years, however, please use it in the morning and tell me your thoughts on the product?

I didn't get around to using it today, but I can certainly tell you my thoughts on the product. It is a very close cousin of Proraso green soap. The smell and appearance are very slightly different from Proraso, and there are minimal differences in the formulation; however, I notice no difference in performance compared to Proraso. It's a decent performer, but I find it doesn't offer the glide or cushion of my preferred British creams. I also find it leaves my face feeling a bit dry and tight.

It's held up perfectly well over the years. The combination of parabens and low moisture gives it a long shelf life.

Interesting. No sooner do I say the above than you drag out this thread. That is exactly the kind of thread that got me to buy SMN in the first place. And what's more, it's working again - causing me to question my own observations, given that the overwhelming sentiment in there is that SMN is superior to Proraso, despite the similarities. It's academic at this point, since the formulations of both products have changed since then. But since I still have old versions of both of them (and don't have the newer versions of either), I might as well test them out. I'll give them both a fair shot and report back.

One thing that is interesting to note: accounts in that thread state that, at the time, a 150ml tub of Proraso soap cost $9.95, whereas a 250 ml tub of SMN cost $52. Six years later, a 150ml tub of Proraso still goes for $9.95, but a 220 ml tub of SMN (they reduced the size) goes for $71. That's quite a price hike.

I think a big part of it is the experience. If the shave quality and scent are similar, it comes down to the building of lather. Some folks have issues with a lot of soaps, maybe due to water, and that can make creams preferable as they are easier to load and build. Others like the tradition and method of loading off a soap and may not have any water issues.

$SMN.jpgIt took me 4 days to figure out how to dial in the lather, now its crazy voluminous and I must dial back the amount. Load time will now go to 15 seconds

Interesting. No sooner do I say the above than you drag out this thread. That is exactly the kind of thread that got me to buy SMN in the first place. And what's more, it's working again - causing me to question my own observations, given that the overwhelming sentiment in there is that SMN is superior to Proraso, despite the similarities. It's academic at this point, since the formulations of both products have changed since then. But since I still have old versions of both of them (and don't have the newer versions of either), I might as well test them out. I'll give them both a fair shot and report back.

One thing that is interesting to note: accounts in that thread state that, at the time, a 150ml tub of Proraso soap cost $9.95, whereas a 250 ml tub of SMN cost $52. Six years later, a 150ml tub of Proraso still goes for $9.95, but a 220 ml tub of SMN (they reduced the size) goes for $71. That's quite a price hike.

Jerry, come home to Papa !

Wow, just saw the price of a 7.5 jar of SMN cream at their site. I would have to really like this cream to pay that much. I am sure one day I will break weak and buy it, but wow, is it that good?

Wow, just saw the price of a 7.5 jar of SMN cream at their site. I would have to really like this cream to pay that much. I am sure one day I will break weak and buy it, but wow, is it that good?

Yes, IMHO it is that good. However, 71.00 ? Not sure, but AdP, Xpec and ABC are all up there in price, I feel it is the best of crèmes/croap , i.e the aforementioned. It is probably a 9 month or more amount of crème, the smell, lather,protection, slickness is superior. I have not even gotten a small weeper since using it. Would I buy it again? YES !

Yes, IMHO it is that good. However, 71.00 ? Not sure, but AdP, Xpec and ABC are all up there in price, I feel it is the best of crèmes/croap , i.e the aforementioned. It is probably a 9 month or more amount of crème, the smell, lather,protection, slickness is superior. I have not even gotten a small weeper since using it. Would I buy it again? YES !

Thanks for the information. I always like to read actual experiences, not opinions.:001_smile

Thanks for the information. I always like to read actual experiences, not opinions.:001_smile

Experiences are still opinions, if you think about it. That's why everything here bears the caveat, "YMMV." There's certainly no guarantee Royalpar's experience with SMN cream will match yours. That said, most reports on the current SMN formula are pretty positive. (There's a whole other issue with the accuracy of self-reporting by an inherently small group who are personally invested in getting enjoyment out of the money they just spent, but I won't go into that.)

Here's an interesting point that is experience based (admittedly, not my experience): according to another member, SMN sells for 35 euros at the pharmacy in Florence. That's roughly $39.60 US for a 220 ml tub, which puts it squarely in Castle Forbes price territory. Consider that $39.60 already has the profit margin built in for retail sale in Italy, and is already positioned for the market SMN wishes to inhabit. That means the additional $31.40 it sells for here is pure distributor markup.

Yep, those high-quality ingredients sure do drive up the price.

Last edited:
And speaking of experience, I got around to trying old formula SMN and comparing it to old formula Proraso soap. First off, let me preface this by saying I don’t use either one very often, and when I do use Proraso, it is almost always as precursor to a superlather with Proraso cream in a tube. I can’t remember the last time I used it by itself, although I did just use it in tandem with Proraso cream within the last couple of weeks.

Today, I started with Proraso by itself, then followed up with a second pass using SMN. I lathered both with a Simpson CH2 Chubby Super two-band, and shaved with a 7 O’Clock PII on a Merkur handle. I was surprised that the SMN really did produce a richer, thicker lather than the Proraso soap, despite the fact they have almost the exact same formula. So, on that point, I stand corrected. However, the superlather of Proraso soap and cream together was roughly the same as SMN cream by itself. This might be why I remember SMN as performing the same as Proraso. Also, whenever I use either brand, I typically use the Proraso pre-shave. Today, I used pre-shave oil. Perhaps not coincidentally, I didn’t suffer the dryness I usually do.

In all, I’d say the old SMN delivered a nice, but not mind-blowing, shave. Lather was rich, cushion was good, and glide was decent. Smell was slightly milder than Proraso, but not all that different. I could see myself continuing to use it with some regularity until it’s used up. I also acknowledge that, when compared to Proraso soap, there is a distinct difference between the two. Based on my experience this morning, I would agree with the claims by other members that SMN was the superior product. All that said, I don’t feel it delivers a better shave than the two Proraso products used in tandem; nor does it perform as well as my preferred British creams. For that reason, my personal opinion is that it doesn’t warrant the price I paid for it*, and were it still available for that price today, I don’t imagine I would repurchase it. Obviously this has no bearing on the current cream, which is a different formula at a different price point.

*I don’t remember what I paid for it, but the $52 mentioned in the older thread sounds about right. Mine is the 250 ml tub.

Last edited:
Experiences are still opinions, if you think about it. That's why everything here bears the caveat, "YMMV." There's certainly no guarantee Royalpar's experience with SMN cream will match yours. That said, most reports on the current SMN formula are pretty positive. (There's a whole other issue with the accuracy of self-reporting by an inherently small group who are personally invested in getting enjoyment out of the money they just spent, but I won't go into that.)

Here's an interesting point that is experience based (admittedly, not my experience): according to another member, SMN sells for 35 euros at the pharmacy in Florence. That's roughly $39.60 US for a 220 ml tub, which puts it squarely in Castle Forbes price territory. Consider that $39.60 already has the profit margin built in for retail sale in Italy, and is already positioned for the market SMN wishes to inhabit. That means the additional $31.40 it sells for here is pure distributor markup.

Yep, those high-quality ingredients sure do drive up the price.

That is not fact just conjecture on your part based on hearsay. Should you wish to hold all to a higher standard of fact, then let it begin with you. You have no idea about the cost of ingredients nor the cost of manufacturing, marketing or distribution. I would suggest you don't count other companies profits. Should you NOT wish to pay up for a premium product, i.e Xpec, MDC, ABC, AdP or even CF, then stick with the lower end brands and enjoy them. They are good, just not as good. Your TF cream does not come close to CF. While CF is a top 10 crème. Don't pay up, buy a Toyota not a Lexus, buy a Chevy not a Cadillac, buy a smart car not a Mercedes, There is a place for all and for all a place. IMHO and YMMV

However, the superlather of Proraso soap and cream together was roughly the same as SMN cream by itself. This might be why I remember SMN as performing the same as Proraso. Also, whenever I use either brand, I typically use the Proraso pre-shave. Today, I used pre-shave oil. Perhaps not coincidentally, I didn’t suffer the dryness I usually do.

*I don’t remember what I paid for it, but the $52 mentioned in the older thread sounds about right. Mine is the 250 ml tub.

How much do you pay to Uberlather ? Also how do you quantify "roughly the same" translates to not quite as good. So how much is Proraso Soap, Proraso cream and your preshave oil ? Perhaps the difference in price between all 3 is not so much :) and you can have a better product with better ingredients and put a smile on everyones face :) IMHO, and YMMV

Last edited:
Top Bottom