What's new

Soap smelling like a classic cologne, e.g. 4711

I am always refining the small collection of scented shaving stuff I have. Refining, but expanding.

I started with rose, still a total favorite, with a ton of examples in the den.
Then came almond, because of Cella and other Italian soaps.
Next is Bergamotto Neroli, from Tcheon Fung Sing, which is fabulous, as is their Canadian cousin, RazoRock Don Marco.

So many other aromas! But I have such long-held dislikes that I have eliminated many different products just on personal foibles. For instance, I don't like any of the "classic" scents, Old Spice, Aqua Velva, Brut., etc. I don't use any bay rums, vetivers, lime, musk, Pinaud, mint, fake aromas like Trumper Euchris, sandalwood, fougere, etc. And all the "designer" scents seem fake and based on chem-lab experiments and marketing sleight-of-hand. And lots and lots more don't make the grade. Yeah, I am really picky.

Two perfect EdC/T for me are Jicky and Imperiale, both by Guerlain.

This leads me to the fourth aroma family I want to explore. This I guess I can describe it as "classic cologne." 4711 is the most famous and the best, for me; I've used it as an AS splash (the cologne, not the dedicated AS) since high school. Fades quickly. I'm using 4711 bath soap, and this has gotten me to thinking how much I'd like that scent in a shaving soap (or cream). The other echt Kolonisch-wasser is J.-M. Farina; I don't have the original Cologne version, but rather the French version, made by Roger & Gallet. Yes! Great classic cologne scent, long-lasting. I just added Cella Colonia Classica to the mix. Good, but a little thinner. A splash, in my world. But the right scent family where I'd like to find a shaving soap.

Sorry to going for so long. Here's the question: do you know of any shaving products that are made in this classic cologne scent? I need to try Acqua di Parma, but it is spendy. D. R. Harris Arlington? Any other suggestions very much welcomed, with great appreciation.

Thanks.

Yrs, Vespasian (Robert)

Oldtrout said this in a B&B thread:
"Arlington smells quite like No. 4711 to me, in fact, I pair the two.

4711 by Muelhens is an impressive cologne known for its fresh citrus explosion of orange and lemon. Combined with a splash of sandalwood and floral infusions, 4711 provides a clean and balanced scent that will last all day long. Introduced in 1772, this classic cologne is perfect for a night out on the town where you are sure to turn heads as you breeze into your favorite hot spots.

Don
Charter Member of the He-Man Arko Haters Club.
Participant in The Year of Gentlemanly Shenanigans (FAILED 4/1/14)."

I have asked what was close to 4711 in the way of a soap several times. Up until recently, Arlington was it. However, I just received a tub of Barrister & Mann's Vetyver Santal and, despite the name, I find it works very well with the 4711 I have. Vetyver Santal turns out to have a high percentage of lemon in the aroma, muted a bit by the vetiver and sandalwood.

Happy hunting!

Excellent, thank you, John. I am glad to get a little reassurance about Arlington, as I love D. R. Harris products.

Creed? Excellent! I see me toddling to Needless Markup in my near future to test the waters, so to speak. I know nothing of the RR Freedburg. Thanks!

Top Bottom