What's new

Soap or cream for straight razor slickness

Hi Guys
Don't want to start a big thing here, but in general should a newbie SR user start with a hard soap or a cream. I have Truefitt 1805 cream in the tub with an omega horsehair brush. Would a good soap give me better glide?

I'm a noob when it comes to straights but one of my slickest soaps is Uncle Jon's Pipe Smoke. I have yet to try it with one of my straight razors.

As you know there are bad and good creams as there are good and bad soaps. T&H creams are among the good ones. If you today prefer your lather to be rather "pasty" I'd recommend you to make it a bit "wetter" to enhance the glide of the longer straight razor blade. Otherwise it's just to carry on as usual.

Welcome into the world of straight razors.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
What little experience that I have with creams makes me a non-expert there. Lots of choices out there but some of the lowest priced soaps give me the most slickness. Williams, Arko, and Tabac.

With straights, you really want and need slickness.

What little experience that I have with creams makes me a non-expert there. Lots of choices out there but some of the lowest priced soaps give me the most slickness. Williams, Arko, and Tabac.

With straights, you really want and need slickness.

This sums up my thoughts better than I could type it.

You can make a quality lather with either. I used to think soaps were better. I was wrong. Now I think creams are better. Give me a couple of months, and I'll likely change again.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Doesn't matter as long as it's a decently slick cream/soap. T&H creams are certainly a good choice. The current version of Stirling is a good soap. Valobra/Czech and Speake/AoS tallow are some of the best, and you can still get the 3-pack of AoS tallow sandalwood for $33 and change on the bay. If you like artisan products, L&L is a fine SR cream.

Cheers, Steve

I used Truefitt and hill 1805 cream in the tub tonight, its a good soap as already been said make it wetter but just take your time. But as far as hard soaps go I use Tabac, MWF, SV 70th, and get along just fine. as I am new here moving from DE and loving it.

For straights, my favourites are;

Cream - Proraso Cypress and Vetyver
Soap - Barrister and Mann Cologne Russe

1805 is one of the few I've never tried so can't help you out there.

Top Bottom