What's new

So a 23 year old punk breaks in to this 71 year old's house...

Good on the old fellow.:biggrin:If this had occurred in the U.S.,the robber would have a gun,and more than likely,shot the old bloke dead.:frown:

The federal law requiring a five-day waiting period on gun purchases was part of the Brady Bill passed in 1993, and it expired in 1998. The waiting period was replaced by instant background checks at all licensed firearms dealers. The background check is performed by the FBI, is done over the phone, and usually takes only minutes. Thus, there is no waiting period required by FFLs any more. States can impose tighter restrictions.

Aodenkou's description of Indiana's gun laws, both for the selling of handguns and the issuing of conceal-carry permits, matches Oregon's to a tee. I purchased both my handguns without a permit, and without a waiting period. In both cases, I walked out of the store with gun in hand in under an hour. My conceal-carry permit was only slightly more challenging to obtain, but only because there were more administrative hoops to jump through, not because the laws restricted me from obtaining it.

V

VR6ofpain

I am so glad the judge didn't side with the lawyer BS about "a murder scene". Some lawyers are just plain scum.

Love it. :biggrin:
Would have been nice if the old man showed the kid how to use the knife too, if you catch my drift. :wink:
Ha ha, ya.

Good on the old fellow.:biggrin:If this had occurred in the U.S.,the robber would have a gun,and more than likely,shot the old bloke dead.:frown:

No if this would have happened in the US the "old bloke" probably would have had a small armory in his home and the 23 year old *** would no longer be a drain on society.

Nope. Most burglars are looking for an easy, drama-free score, and break in when nobody's home. Getting beat up or shot is not high in their priority list. They are usually not armed. Many who could get their hands on a gun will sell it as soon as possible, to feed whatever habit fuels their thievery.

Nope. Most burglars are looking for an easy, drama-free score, and break in when nobody's home. Getting beat up or shot is not high in their priority list. They are usually not armed. Many who could get their hands on a gun will sell it as soon as possible, to feed whatever habit fuels their thievery.

I agree. I personally feel gun laws are ridiculous. They typically just keep guns out of the hands of law-abiding citicizens. Criminals go outside the lines and get their hands on them anyway. I go by the law and where I live they say it takes 3 to 6 months to get a permit (although some people I know said it took longer for them). I know some less-than-savory characters who could get me a gun if I wanted off the streets at anytime. Now if I was a criminal would I wait the 3 to 6 months or more or hit the streets and get one? This is why I don't like gun laws. All they do is make sure us law-abiding folk are unarmed when the criminals come through.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
A priceless story!!

... on a serious note, this is a thread about some petty thief wot got 'is comeuppance, not about gun control. Sheesh.

I absolutely concur. I would have laughed my *** off. What always bothered be about these situations appears to be bothering others: why should I have to determine ANYTHING about a home intruder's motives? Were this to ever happen to me, the criminal intruder will have placed me in a situation where I have:

a) NO TRAINING to handle these situations,

b) about fifteen gallons of adrenaline entering mu bloodstream in a rush, pushing my heart rate past two hundred, and

c) my family in the house.

I am probably going to be in major league panic mode, and I'm supposed to make critical decisions about the intruders intentions? Please. That won't happen. I'm probably going to panic and do whatever nature commands. I've got no police or military training that would help me to evaluate life-threatening situations with an objective eye, I'm just Joe Shmoe. I think it's absolutely unfair for the judicial system to expect me to make these kinds of judgments in the space of what is probably a few seconds. It's fine and dandy to break it down in the courtroom when level heads prevail, but in the moment I can't imagine being anything but insane with liquid, white hot fear, instinct disabling most of my higher thought processes. My billion-year-old natural instincts will proably cause me to do ANYTHING I can to survive without even thinking about it. I'm not predicting, just trying to speculate about an unfathomable mind state. I remember a news article about some guy who was mugged- in court he says the incident frightened him and made him panic in a way he had never experienced before or since.

If criminals place regular, law abiding citizens in situations where they have to make these sorts of snap judgments, my preference would be for the legal system to bend over backwards to exonerate the victims of virtually anything they do short of torture.

I hate criminals. That their rights are even considered when they victimize people is extremely offensive to me.

That is an amazing comment and I can't agree with you enough. If someone were to break into my home, I’d probably take the first thing I could find, be it a hammer, a baseball bat, whatever, and swing it with more force then I ever thought I could possibly muster, and that would be, without a doubt, enough force to kill.

In MN the law states that lethal force is not justified if the burglar is unarmed. My mom also told me (half in jest): “If he’s unarmed, just toss him a knife before you shoot him.”

And risk damaging the edge? I'd rather ruin a .40 cal round, much cheaper!

You americans are so trigger happy. :001_tongu

You should learn how to handle rocks, sticks, frying pans and enjoy the art of beating someone to unconsciousness with those items. :laugh:

You americans are so trigger happy. :001_tongu

You should learn how to handle rocks, sticks, frying pans and enjoy the art of beating someone to unconsciousness with those items. :laugh:

We Americans are also sue-happy. That just opens you up for lawsuits, and a chance for him to make up some BS about how he was just asking to use the phone. Best to stop the oxygen theft at the source. Two to the center of mass, one to the top of that same, worthless mass.

Last edited:
Legal to shoot him in most states? Possibly...unless you have a CCW. If you do, you have to prove that the crook was intent upon harming you, that there was a threat.
My favorite part of that news story are the comments that people left. It seems that a few side with the young fellow and feel that he was 'wronged'

I believe you're wrong in regards to the CCW. Having a CCW is irrelevant in the case of a home invasion. If the shooting occurred in your house, most states will side with home defense. Proving the crook was harming you will probably have to be done and in some states is up to the police arriving at the scene to determine. If you're attacked outside your home and you have a CCW, then it's smart to lawyer-up and ensure that you were threatened before resorting to lethal force, unless you live in states that value freedom and believe in your inherent right to self-defense.

proxy.php

Top Bottom