What's new

Smallest straights?

It'll never, ever shave well because that puny little blade will always feel insecure stored with all those big, muscle bound brawlers you own. Send it to me for proper residential care.

Last edited:

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I have been thinking about making a small razor out of spring steel or a railroad spike as I think a small shaver would be really handy at times.

Make one out of a Gold Dollar. The hard work is already done. Just hone it down on 100 grit belt sander until you end up with a 3/8 wedge, then do the tang to match. Then hollow it a little, if you like. Don't need to heat treat or temper. You can rough it out in less than a day.

Or start out with a 6" Nicholson file. Makes a great little wedgie or 1/4 hollow.

I have a few little razors but none with me. When I get home I think I will break a couple of them out.

Caccia emailed me a picture to post. I hope he pops in here and has more to say about it.

He says other members have seen it in person, and he wonders why someone would devote this much time on such a tiny blade.

I don't have the dimensions of either blade however.

Phil

Lil wedge-y one .. 9/16 J.A.Hanckels - Zwillingswerk #27
$2013-04-19 15.27.06.jpg
$2013-04-19 15.29.34.jpg

Wow, your signature brings out some very very old souvenirs about Sturm in Dragonlance!!

"The cruelest torture one can inflict on a kender is to lock him up. Of course, it is also widely believed that the cruelest form of torture one can inflict on any other species is to lock them up with a kender."

Ahhh those darn kliptomaniac kenders! :-D

"The cruelest torture one can inflict on a kender is to lock him up. Of course, it is also widely believed that the cruelest form of torture one can inflict on any other species is to lock them up with a kender."

I have a really small twins razor at home. It looks like someone shortened it too, but I'm not sure. Everything looks clean and I don't see signs of any modifications. I'll have to take a picture later.

I only have one baby one. Here's a comparison to a normal-sized Kropp..

$D1305_031.jpg

$D1305_032.jpg

I've no idea who made it - it just says "German Hollow Ground". And at the moment, it's about as sharp as a spoon - I picked it up cheap (with the Kropp) for honing practice.

I only have one baby one. Here's a comparison to a normal-sized Kropp..

View attachment 362245

View attachment 362246

I've no idea who made it - it just says "German Hollow Ground". And at the moment, it's about as sharp as a spoon - I picked it up cheap (with the Kropp) for honing practice.

The college cafeteria had sharper spoons than knives, so "sharp as a spoon" could be pretty sharp.

BTW, sharper looking than the typical spoon.

Phil

$smallrazors.jpg

The Tiny Trio

Vintage A.Witte Classic 7/16 half hollow
Vintage Giesen & Forsthoff Adoration Ax 4/8 (barely) near wedge
Not Vintage Boker 4/8 Tree Brand full hollow

Nice shavers all

Here's my two smallest, I had a third that was also in this range, but I traded it away (I'm tempted to try to get it back)... I added the DE blade for reasons of giving scale to the size of these two little guys...

$small-razor1-1024x1024.jpg

My little Timor with some lovely etching. This is the first razor I both honed and shaved with. It is an excellent shaver.

I was reading a page from a 1955 add from Zwillingswerk, And there was some general text about the profile grounding of the blades and the sizes. To cut it short, it was stated that for first shave (pass I guess) you would use 5/8-7/8 sized blade and an 4/8 one for a second shave.

Here are my small razors:

Right to left: Puma 4/8, Clauberg The Fish 3/8, another Fish 5/16, Bohumil Prague 5/16, Gebruder Bell 3/8 and an Ellinson (Solignen) 5/16.

$Small Selection.jpg

C.

Top Bottom