What's new

Smallest straights?

After reading about largest straights and a beautiful 12/8 Bill Ellis special, I was wondering about the other end of the spectrum: Small straights.

So show me your SMALL straights and Shorties. Preferably 4/8 and smaller blades. I know blades down to 2/8 were manufactured. I also know that blades have started as one size and worn significantly smaller through honing.

Shorties that have lost significant length are welcome too, regardless of blade width.

Phil

I'm curious too! I tend to love small shaving items, really curious about getting a 4/8 blade and wacking an inch or so off the end...

Here is my old 3/8 Puma 88.

proxy.php

Here is my Simmons 461 4/8. Great little shaver that takes a great edge. I've been going through my razors, and this is one of 4 that I've decided isn't going anywhere soon. I really enjoy using it.

proxy.php

The "Depew" and the "Little Shaver" look proportional like a larger blade does. The Puma and Simmons look somewhat elongated.

Let's see some more!

Phil

Two 3/8s I picked up this weekend. May never shave with them, but couldn't resist the price (free from my barber who no longer uses them).

I recently sold a Puma 3/8.
I can see how it would be good for trimming and whatnot, but I don't think it would make a good daily razor.

I have been thinking about making a small razor out of spring steel or a railroad spike as I think a small shaver would be really handy at times.

I have a 4/8 Gottlieb Hammesfahr Soligen Foche I restore a little while back, the company were famous for producing the decorative daggers carried by high ranking German officers and the third Rich,

Jamie.

Top Bottom