What's new

slim adjustables

It's not just that Muhle is "not exactly Gillette", you're drawing a comparison between a company who is in this market and one who is not. If I cater to a niche market I will follow that market. If I am a trend-setter / market maker, I will not follow fringe markets.

The DE market in North America is not a market of concern to Gillette. A few thousand people not buying their products is not going to make a dent in their bottom line and they aren't going to take notice. Period. Now, conversely, a spike in the North American market's interest in Gillette DE blades might indeed capture their interest because they can actually see positive revenue and they don't have to develop a new product line. So, buying their razor blades might actually make them the company you want them to be.

Regardless, I'm not going to punish them for having one of the best blade lineups in the industry. Who else comes close to quality and selection of Gillette? Feather? No. Personna? No. Kai? No. Rapira? Maybe, but they seem to be just copying Gillette blades. Gillette is making some of the highest quality blades in the largest selection, essentially, they are making the best product line on the market, but you're refusing to do business with them because of their inferior products that are not even in the same market as you. If Seiko makes mediocre clocks and excellent watches, are you going to avoid their watches? I've owned some terrible Sony car stereo equipment, I think it may be some of the worst name brand equipment on the market. That doesn't mean I think their TVs suck. I think we just see this differently.

I agree with you that Gillette is, indeed, now serving a different market. They have pretty clearly turned their backs on the DE market - ironically, the very market they were primarily responsible for establishing in the first place. That's their right to do so, just as it is my right to take my money elsewhere.

Personally, I won't buy their products. They've made it pretty clear which market they are more interested in serving, and I am simply no longer a part of that market. People who want to drag 5 blades across their faces with a layer of synthetic gel containing a list of ingredients they can't even pronounce (let alone identify) also have every right to do so. It's their faces and their wallets that will suffer. So be it. Live and let live.

But I do have a problem with the fact that Gillette is consciously attempting to steer the public into using products that have a greater environmental impact, contain ingredients that are known to be toxic, have a higher cost of use, deliver inferior results, and so on and so forth. The fact that some of their blades might be of good quality is irrelevant to me. If I give the company my money, I am supporting them in doing whatever it is they decide to do with that money. And right now, that includes ProGlide Challenge commercials.
Um, no thanks!

I hear what you're saying, so please don't get me wrong. Gillette does serve a different market now. You are absolutely right about that. (I may not agree with you about the quality of their blades being superior to Feather or Personna - but that's a purely subjective argument anyway.) The point is that they do enough other things that I greatly dislike that I can't feel good about giving them any of my money - and I won't. I'll put it in the hands of a company I feel is more aligned with my values - one dedicated to DE and wetshaving products and supporting the customers who use them.

But hey, that's just me.

They probably would start producing them again but only if the market was big enough. I to have seen some better quality shave creams at the supermarket so demand may be starting to heat up a bit. The younger generation tend to like cool retro things and DE shaving is starting to appeal to some of them.

They probably would start producing them again but only if the market was big enough. I to have seen some better quality shave creams at the supermarket so demand may be starting to heat up a bit. The younger generation tend to like cool retro things and DE shaving is starting to appeal to some of them.

Totally agree. I just gave my 17 year old cousin a vintage Gillette and a pack of Feathers for his birthday, and he actually seemed genuinely stoked on having it. (Either that, or was just being kind and is a superb actor...)

I know at least my two sons have sworn they'd never touch a disposable razor.
So that's at least three!

I think you're right; we're growing in numbers.
It would be really interesting to see some stats on the number of active B&B members over the years!

Top Bottom