What's new

Slight rust on Goldedge

I recently found my grandfather's Dubl Duck Goldedge and am interested in getting started with straight razor shaving. However, there is some rust on the tail, pivot, and a bit on the heel (not on the actual blade). Can I still shave with that rust or would I have to get it restored?
(the tail has a shade of gold on it. im positive this isn't rust)
Pics:
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

(right click and open pics in new tab if they thumbnails aren't showing)

Lucky guy to have found you Grandfathers razor and it's a Goldedge.
As long as the rust isn't on the edge you should be able to shave with it. The rust isn't pretty but if its basically around the shaft and tail it shouldn't be a problem. Be sure to dry ( hair dryer) the razor afterwards as you don't want any more dampness sitting on the rust.
You are seeing Gold on the shaft. Most of these razors have little left as it wore away fairly easily. Here are mine where I restored two of them and the other is all original.
At one point I had the shaft just polished out until I discovered how to redo the Gold as you can see in the one photo. In the other shots you can see the re Gilded shaft which is so smooth and shiny it's hard to photograph well.
Enjoy it. Especially considering the history.

Attachments

• $IMG_5009.jpg
    $IMG_5009.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 53
  • $IMG_5262.jpg
    $IMG_5262.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 53
  • $IMG_3217.jpg
    $IMG_3217.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 53
I don't want to hijack the thread, but I would love to know how you replaced the gold on the tang. I have a beautiful Goldedge and to fix the gold would be awesome.

You can get at home plating kits but they don't really work well. I use a commercial process that involves some nasty chemicals that the EPA scrutinizes , electricity and naturally some gold. Fortunately I have friends with the proper permits etc. and much of what was needed in place and we adapted it for me to do gold plating. To do it properly it's not exactly a DIY at home process. And before any plating gets done the piece has to be as perfect as possible as the gold doesn't hide any flaws but will accentuate them.
I've also done a Union cutlery Gold Coin which is very pretty now. And I have several others waiting in line to hit the Gold bath.

Last edited:
Top Bottom