What's new

Six Aftershave Decants From Superlather Arrived Today!

Hey Chappies. I wanted to post up my latest sacrilege for your consideration. As you may have guessed during my little jaunt through these decants, the Spanish and Italian Floids have managed to rank themselves at the bottom of my preference list. So what to do with three decants? I simply took both Spaniards and the Italian lad and mixed them together. And no, it did not create some miraculous elixir used by Zeus or other mythological creatures. It did subdue a bit of the powder from the Italian and the mix seemed to manage a nice cooling sensation with no freeze out. Besides, this let me contain them all together and allowed the little decant bottles to dry out. Now I can PIF more a/s splashes or colognes to someone else. Too bad about the Floids really. I wanted them to be a favourite. Only the Blue takes consideration and only then in a passing fashion. I can tell you without hesitation that I could buy two bottles of the Alt Innsbruck and SWMBO would applaud the manoeuver. She and I both like that much. It is most assuredly on the buy list. I will post again late in the week with a final wrap up of these decants but I think you get the picture pretty well as to where I stand with these aftershaves.

Regards, Todd

As always, your reflections are both thorough and thoughtful. I, too, worked my way through a set of Superlather samples, and each fell into one of three categories:
  • I love it, and would immediately order more
  • Meh--as you would say, neither fish nor fowl
  • I don't care for it and will never use it again
My first impressions of the Floïds were very similar to yours. However, after a couple more uses of the Spanish flavors, I came to like them a bit more. I never got over the sweetness of the original Italian Floïd, though. Another where my opinion improved with use was the Pitralon Polar, I actually find myself reaching for that more often than the Floïd Blue.

Thanks for the reviews!

I'm very excited for my own experiment now. I received 8 decants from superlather on the day I left for Las Vegas last week and only had enough time for a quick sniff of each.

I purchased Alt-Innsbruck, tried a 1ml decant before, loved it and just wanted a few more tries before i commit to a full bottle.

Also received Irisch Moos aftershave, Proraso, Italian Floid, Austrian Pitralon, La Toja, Spanish Floid Vigoroso and Swiss Pitralon.

My initial reaction to the quick sniff was that Alt-Innsbruck, La Toja and Irisch Moos had their own unique and interesting scents. All of the rest just smelled very similar, not bad but nothing mind blowing. La Toja reminded me a little bit of Drakkar but I haven't worn Drakkar in 15 years so my memory might be off on that one.

Now I just need to decide which to try first - life could be worse :w00t:

Thank you gents. And you see, I learned from these postings too. My next consideration was the Pitralon varieties. I sense from Garry's post that the Pitralon's may be in the "meh" category as to scent. Yes/no? I have always wanted to try them. Simply because the original Swiss Pitralon has a very good reputation as a comforting aftershave. Unless scents are captivating to me I just don't care if they last long. Musgo Classic, Alt, Irisch Moos, Taylor-Mr. Taylor, I like their scents and the fact they hang around a few hours. The Floids disappear rather quickly on me and that is fine. Definitely the meh category. I have always hesitated on the Proraso splash since it is supposed to be a pretty close copy of the shave soap/cream which is simply too much Eucalyptus and menthol for me. I loved it years ago but have completely moved away from it. Oh well. So many splashes, so...much time. The hunt is always on for good aftershaves.

Regards, Todd

Not to hijack your thread but I will probably just post my brief impressions here since I am not "wordy" enough to do a thorough review:001_tongu

I'm in the opposite camp to you in that I want some alcohol or menthol punch in my aftershaves and a good lingering scent is also greatly appreciated. If the punch is there but the scent is too sweet I can't hang with it all either.

Unfortunately Swiss Pitralon had neither menthol nor alcohol kick but it did feel soothing like Speick splash. The scent was definitely not my cup of tea, way too sweet. I am terrible at describing scents but it didn't seem powdery on me just sweet like a candy kind of sweet :ohmy:

Todd, since you haven't tried the pitralon's yet I will be glad to pif the remaining decant to you completely for free if you PM me your mailing address. This is my thanks to you for this great thread.

I will try the Austrian Pitralon tomorrow and if I don't like it either I will throw that one in with the Swiss as well.

I can't believe I've never tried Proraso splash before especially since I love the menthol. That will be my next to try after Austrian Pitralon for sure.

My next consideration was the Pitralon varieties. I sense from Garry's post that the Pitralon's may be in the "meh" category as to scent. Yes/no? I have always wanted to try them. Simply because the original Swiss Pitralon has a very good reputation as a comforting aftershave.
My experience with the Pitralon samples were as follows:
  • Swiss: The scent was so objectionable to me (sweet pears) that I never tried it again
  • Austrian Original: The scent was similar to the Alt-Innsbruck, and I preferred the latter
  • Austrian Fresh @ Work: Instant winner, I liked it, my wife loved it
  • Austrian Polar: Originally in the "meh" category, but repeated uses won me (and my wife) over
Unless scents are captivating to me I just don't care if they last long. Musgo Classic, Alt, Irisch Moos, Taylor-Mr. Taylor, I like their scents and the fact they hang around a few hours. The Floids disappear rather quickly on me and that is fine. Definitely the meh category. I have always hesitated on the Proraso splash since it is supposed to be a pretty close copy of the shave soap/cream which is simply too much Eucalyptus and menthol for me. I loved it years ago but have completely moved away from it. Oh well. So many splashes, so...much time. The hunt is always on for good aftershaves.

Regards, Todd
My favorites amongst the samples I received were the Alt-Innsbruck and the Hâttric Classic. I also liked two of the Austrian Pitralons as mentioned above, La Toja, and the venerable Proraso. It was months ago that I went through the samples, and looking at my stock of aftershaves, it looks like the most used of all of them is the La Toja.

Not to hijack your thread but I will probably just post my brief impressions here since I am not "wordy" enough to do a thorough review:001_tongu

I'm in the opposite camp to you in that I want some alcohol or menthol punch in my aftershaves and a good lingering scent is also greatly appreciated. If the punch is there but the scent is too sweet I can't hang with it all either.

Unfortunately Swiss Pitralon had neither menthol nor alcohol kick but it did feel soothing like Speick splash. The scent was definitely not my cup of tea, way too sweet. I am terrible at describing scents but it didn't seem powdery on me just sweet like a candy kind of sweet :ohmy:

Todd, since you haven't tried the pitralon's yet I will be glad to pif the remaining decant to you completely for free if you PM me your mailing address. This is my thanks to you for this great thread.

I will try the Austrian Pitralon tomorrow and if I don't like it either I will throw that one in with the Swiss as well.

I can't believe I've never tried Proraso splash before especially since I love the menthol. That will be my next to try after Austrian Pitralon for sure.

Well heck Garry, I learned some more. I won't waste your postage on the Pitralon. I cannot usually handle food/sweet type scents very well. They are just a bit overwhelming to me, even if short lived. I can almost assure you I wouldn't care for it, but I thank you for the offer. I also thank you for the gracious compliment about my thread. I go long on the claptrap sometimes but I just don't know any other way.:blushing:

My experience with the Pitralon samples were as follows:
  • Swiss: The scent was so objectionable to me (sweet pears) that I never tried it again
  • Austrian Original: The scent was similar to the Alt-Innsbruck, and I preferred the latter
  • Austrian Fresh @ Work: Instant winner, I liked it, my wife loved it
  • Austrian Polar: Originally in the "meh" category, but repeated uses won me (and my wife) over

My favorites amongst the samples I received were the Alt-Innsbruck and the Hâttric Classic. I also liked two of the Austrian Pitralons as mentioned above, La Toja, and the venerable Proraso. It was months ago that I went through the samples, and looking at my stock of aftershaves, it looks like the most used of all of them is the La Toja.

Thanks for the input Bob. Sweet pears? That is more than likely enough to keep me away from it. Wouldn't mind that La Toja splash sometime. I had a tube of their shave cream a few years ago. About the same to me as most of the Ts. Serviceable but nothing too special. Superior to Tabac(cream). I liked the scent for the most part. Nothing in your face but earthy, warm, and comforting. I can imagine some young poppet smelling it on their dad or granddad and keeping it as a fond childhood memory. Sort of like my dad and his English Leather. I loved the Alt as well. It is truly on the "buy" list.

Regards, Todd

Well unfortunately I found the Austrian Pitralon to be even more offensive and sweet smelling in a similar to the Swiss version - candy like way. It had a little more alcohol kick than the Swiss Pitralon but no menthol either. The aftershave was soothing like the Speick splash but it won't be something I would ever consider using again.

I would love to try the German Pitralon, it's supposed to be "wood/spicey" smelling I believe. Anyone reading this thread have a sample they want to sell me?

Next up for me to try are the Floids, I have Italian Floid and Spanish Floid Vigoroso. Not too hopeful on these 2 as the initial sniff from each decant was a little too powdery for my tastes.

I decided to use the proraso splash today - great stuff - can't believe I waited so long. Nice citrus-wood-spice scent, super cooling and left my skin feeling nice and soft.

This is a keeper and I will be ordering a full size bottle :thumbup1:

Top Bottom