What's new

Single Malt Scotch

I feel like I've neglected my own thread by being away for a week!

I'm not very good at this reply w quotes yet - new to forums such as this... bbut will attempt to address some of your comments...

There's a button at the bottom of a post that says "reply with quote" - it will do it for you. You can also cut and past the whole thing or just the tags (the bit in square brackets) to break it up.

for the price, and my taste, Lagavulin 16 is perfection in a bottle to me and agreed on the laphroaig 10 being a bit harsh - very listerine-ish but the 15 , 18 and quarter cask are much more mellow in that regard...

I totally agree: best bang for buck in the genre IMO. I picked up a bottle of Quarter Cask yesterday - will crack it with some mates this weekend hopefully.

as for the 'eternal question' as with anything YMMV, but I drink neat unless cask strength - then I add enoguh water (or a single cube on occasion) to dilute it to drinkable strength.

and on occasion I'll add a drop of water to a standard 40-46% alcohol by volume jsut becuase it does seem to open the flavors, and as you said for medicinal purposes :)

I was reading about this: the consensus seems to be that 30% to 40% is ideal for flavours. Anything more and the alcohol starts to overpower your ability to taste, any less and you dilute the drink too much. I haven't experimented with it myself, but some simple maths on rum cocktails seems to bare it out.

and hopefully I will make it to OZ one of these days, a dear frind of mine from the old days of alt.smokers.pipes is a gourmet chef from 'down unda' - so i've had an open invite for 15 years.. I *am* determined to take him up on it - I'll certainly let you know if/when I make it down so we can share a dram or 3+!

plus, I want to hit NZ as well to nymph fish to some of the giant brown trout in those crystal clear streams :)

Deal. There's good trout fishing in the Aussie high country (not very high by world standards, but it's what we've got). I'm not much on it myself - I prefer beach fishing. It seemed like a lot of hiking to stand up to my thighs in freezing water. Plus it turns out I'm very bad at it!

A mate took some english visitors fishing in NZ a while back. They spent much of the time playing where-in-middle-earth-are-we :biggrin1:

as for bourbon, I'm not well versed at all, though I have had blantners and enjoyed it - and though I admire the artisanship (as I do the artisan tequilas), nothing can touch single malts for me in complexity of flavors. although I do enjoy the effects of a decent Absinthe when I can find it (alas, illegal in the US still)

I think I've tried Blantners (it has a horse on the cap, no?) and it was very good but, as you say, no where near as complex as a good single malt. Generally, I find bourbon and it's non-appellation siblings rather too sweet for my taste. I've never tried absinthe although it's freely available here or any artisan tequila for that matter. I should remedy that.

Oh, and love your sig. Heart Attack and Vine was my introduction to Tom waits twenty something years ago.

Pappy Van Winkle 15yr Bourbon

fantastic

I found the Aussie importer for Pappy Van Winkle. Now I just have to find someone who stocks it...

Hey Hotreds! What is that? - the pick is to small for me to read the label.

Phillip Hill, founder of the Scotch Malt Whisky Society, rated 12-year old Tomatin as one of his top 20, and less than $30 a bottle! It is delightful if not a profound sip.

I found the Aussie importer for Pappy Van Winkle. Now I just have to find someone who stocks it...

For this you'll probably have to ask around and 'pre-buy' the bottles. Granted, bourbon culture is probably much different here in Nashville than in Oz but it is near impossible to find them on a shelf. I spoke to the distributor at a Pappy tasting last week and he said the entire state of Tennessee is only allotted between 10 to 12 cases with each store that can get them only receiving about 3 to 6 bottles. A friend who owns the store that was hosting the tasting said he won't get his three bottles until around November and all have already been purchased and paid.

Macallan 18 for a +$100 bottle that's still consumer friendly. Got two bottles at home that I'm slowly working through. One is a 1990 bottling and the other is a 91. Fantastic stuff, I could swim in those rich sherry notes.

Under $100, I'd have to go with Highland Park 12. Always blows my mind how good it is for a $40 bottle.

This is what I have at home. The Ardbeg Lord of Isles is untouched and I will save it ...
$DSCN0272.jpg

I can't afford the Macallan 18, so I keep a bottle of Macallan 15 around. I'm a big fan of Talisker 10, I like the sweet/peaty combination. Recently discovered Caol Ila and really enjoyed it. I'd like to try out some of the options suggested in this thread.

My favorite readily available malts would have to be the Ardbeg 10 year old, Laphroaig quarter cask, and to a lesser extent Talisker 10 year old.
Last year I was lucky enough to find a store with an untapped reserve of Bruichladdich Infinity 2nd edition and 'Moine Mohr', I picked up at least 3 bottles of each and enjoyed them very much.
My uncle was in Edinburgh in June and a friend took him to the Malt Whisky Society's club in Leith. He brought back a bottle purchased there. It's a private bottling of Laphroaig with all the hardcore scotch info on the label (cask number etc). No artificial colouring, non chill filtered and bottled at cask strength. It's named 'the Changeling' and is simply a sublime dram.

Pete

Last edited:
My two current favorite malts are Highland Park 15 year old (almost as smooth as their 18 year old, but about $50 cheaper per bottle) and Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban, which is matured in port casks.

Nick

At a bar this evening, I gave the Johnnie Walker Black a try for the first time tonight. I've been interested in trying blends rather than single Malts, but now back home with a nice glass of Ardbeg 10, it's really not even a discussion. Ardbeg is many leagues better than the JW Black.

My two current favorite malts are Highland Park 15 year old (almost as smooth as their 18 year old, but about $50 cheaper per bottle) and Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban, which is matured in port casks.

Nick

My favorite is Lagavulin 16, my go to bottle is Highland Park 12. Which is amusing as I have neither in the cabinet right now. I'm working through a bottle of Genmorangie Nector d'or and McClellands Islay (both Father's Day presents). Being a fan of peaty scotchs I find it interesting that I love the Nector d'or and am not such a fan of the McClellands.

For my 40th on Sunday I got a bottle of Quinta Ruban, Ardbeg 10, and Laphroig Quarter cask. The Ardbeg 10 came with a little bottle of Uigeadail. I look forward to trying that.

Oh boy. I get ridiculed constantly for my 'bad taste in Scotch' (not my words). A buddy went to Scotland, and the person at the liquor store told him the one I like is not great, so he has it in his mind that way.

But anyways, I love myself a good Laphroaig (I've had the 18yr, the quarter cask, and the 15yr, and the 10yr). I thoroughly enjoy the 15 yr more than the others, based both on taste(vice 10yr) and price (vice 18yr).

The other one that I started out with and still enjoy is the Cragganmore.

Also, I drink mine neat, but I just read somewhere that a little bit of water enhances the flavor (something else I was ridiculed for even bringing it up).

To add just a little bit of water can make it better. But not always. And keep those icecubes away ... keep it room temp and just enjoy.

Laphroaig Quarter cask is a completely different scotch when a bit of water is added to it. I like it much better with a drop or two if water.

For my 40th on Sunday I got a bottle of Quinta Ruban, Ardbeg 10, and Laphroig Quarter cask. The Ardbeg 10 came with a little bottle of Uigeadail. I look forward to trying that.

Please post your comments when you've tried the Quinta Ruban. I'm curious to know if you enjoy it. That is one of my favorite malts, and is quite a good value for under $50 here in Chicago.

Nick

Top Bottom