What's new

Single Edge Razor Acquisition Thread.

Two new SE razors.. A 1912 Gem and a Burham
$uploadfromtaptalk1429040568785.jpg

I've never used a SE razor. I asked a friend what he might recommend and he suggested a GEM 1912 to start. I put up a WTB on TSD and a gentleman named @Omaney, offered this Star. I realize it's not a GEM, but from what I've learned it's pretty darn close.

Funny, but when he initially made the offer of "I have a Star I can send you.", I answered with "How much?" His answer was "For what? Postage?" It was then I realized he was offering this razor as a gift to me as a SE newbie. He also included a handful of SE carbon blades! Right now I'm using my custom fat boy until the end of tax season. Then this razor is next in line! I cant wait to to try it out!

View attachment 561851View attachment 561852
Wonderful people in "this thing we do", aren't there? The shaving community constantly renews my faith that there are GREAT folks out there.
I will bet you will love that Star, BTW.
Congrats!

It is a Damaskeene ... and a very nice set! You should be proud! It'll clean up just fine.

Most importantly, the fabric over the hinge is intact. Gently does it on the box, but it looks in good nick anyway. Razor, just go slow and steady with a good non-abrasive polish and then use a liquid hand soap which often leave a very bright look.

Enjoy!

Blade stops intact?

It is a Damaskeene ... and a very nice set! You should be proud! It'll clean up just fine.

Most importantly, the fabric over the hinge is intact. Gently does it on the box, but it looks in good nick anyway. Razor, just go slow and steady with a good non-abrasive polish and then use a liquid hand soap which often leave a very bright look.

Enjoy!

Blade stops intact?

Well I hope so, this was the sellers pic, but based on the condition of everything else I could see I took a chance and bought it.

Two razors I picked up today at a antique flea-market
for $10. One is an Ever-Ready 1912 and the other is
a Ever-Ready patent applied for Shovelhead.

Question. Did Ever-Ready make two different patent
applied for Shovelheads? I have another one I got awhile back
that has a different base and shorter handle and the threaded
stud on that shorter handle is longer. Because of the longer
stud the shorter handle doesn't properly fit the new shovelhead
I picked up today if I were to switch them out.

$23APR15.jpg

Have you shaved with the Burham, yet?

I got a couple as part of a multi-razor deal and thoroughly enjoyed the shave. It was almost like I simply couldn't do anything wrong - mild, but by no means not a close shave; like a Tech with a Feather blade.
Did you use a modern Gem blade?

$Damaskeen 002.jpg$Damaskeen 003.jpg$Damaskeen 004.jpg

So these are my pictures of the Damaskeen I picked up last week. Remarkably good condition. Had 4 NOS blades in the kit. I'm seriously considering opening one up and trying it. But overall very little cleaning was needed I just dusted out the case and gave the razor an ultrasonic bath. Shaved with it this morning with a Personna blade and was very happy with the result. I just love the old cased sets and this is one of my favorites so far.

picked up my first Schick Injector today. An E type in the Navy case. From what I've read I believe it's WWII Navy issue. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
$20150428_175006[1].jpg$20150428_175037[1].jpg

upon closer inspection, I noticed that the bottom piece that holds the blade in is loose. Is this normal? Or did I just waste 25 bucks?
$20150428_181006[1].jpg

Top Bottom