What's new

Simpsons synthetics

I had both types, gave away the Sovereigns, not because they were inferior, but I was downsizing and had to choose. Since the Platinum are supposed to be the superior evolution of these fibers I chose to believe it.

I found the Sovereign fibers softer and more consistent, like one would expect identical plastic fibers to be. The Platinum are (to me) a little rougher maybe? They feel more like variable animal hair in this way. The tips feel stiffer and more scritchy. If you use painting motions only, as is recommended, this is not an issue.

After 20 years of Simpsons super badger brushes, I’m a happy convert to synthetics. They work as well or better, are much less expensive, dry faster, and are more ethical.

I look forward to reading what others think of the perceived difference between the Sovereign and Platinum fibers.

I prefer Sovereign to Platinum by far.
The platinum are very "synthetic" in the way they bounce on the face and don't really splay readily, while Sovereign fiber is much closer to badger hair (closer...not same)....
IMG_8471.jpeg

IMG_8565.jpeg

I just got a Chubby 2 Platinum synth and it is very scritchy when facelathering.
i was told they changed the knot at some point and it was nice and soft before.
if you like face lathering i cannot recommend the current version of the platinum.

I just got a Chubby 2 Platinum synth and it is very scritchy when facelathering.
i was told they changed the knot at some point and it was nice and soft before.
if you like face lathering i cannot recommend the current version of the platinum.

That is unfortunate. I was thinking of trying the Plat fiber at some point, but might pass now. I don't like scritch. The sovereign fiber on the one brush I have is fine. SF brushes seem to be less expensive generally as well.

Top Bottom