What's new

Question regarding Simpson Classic 2 and Trafalgar T2

From a well known retailer the loft and knot diameter of the Simpson Classic 2 and Trafalgar T2 are 44mm/23mm and 44mm/24mm respectively. Both brushes use the Sovereign synthetic fiber so I am wondering why the Classic 2 sells for nearly twice the price of the T2? The T2 actually has just shy of 9% more fiber than the Classic 2 but the T2 is almost half the price. Though it is fairly easy to do, why the significant price difference confuses me. Anybody have any thoughts on this? Is the price difference in the handles/material or is this just marketing?

Last edited:

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
From a well known retailer the loft and knot diameter of the Simpson Classic 2 and Trafalgar T2 are 44mm/23mm and 44mm/24mm respectively. Both brushes use the Sovereign synthetic fiber so I am wondering why the Classic 2 sells for nearly twice the price of the T2? The T2 actually has just shy of 9% more fiber than the Classic 2 but the T2 is almost half the price. Though it is fairly easy to do, why the significant price difference confuses me. Anybody have any thoughts on this? Is the price difference in the handles/material or is this just marketing?
Perhaps the Classic handle is made in house and the T2 handle made in China. Maybe the T2 knots are bought in from China as ready made plugs, and the Classic knots are tied in the Simpson factory, although I suspect neither are actually tied in the Isle Of Man. More likely Simpson are simply charging what they think the market will bear for the Classic 2, which is a long established traditional handle shape which has previously been offered in other hair types. I find it increasingly difficult to understand the bewildering number of Simpson offerings and prices, and to have confidence in where they are actually tied, made, or produced. Frankly, I have lost confidence in the brand and in their current products, and will not purchase any more despite owning, and loving, several Simpson brushes.

EclipseRedRing,

Thank you for your response as you always provide good insights. I will always be a Simpsons fan but they do leave me scratching my head sometimes.

Cheers.

I did pick up a Trafalgar 2 and find it to be a very good brush. Probably my favorite right now. I also picked up the T1 and like the handle size a bit better but I like the performance of the bristles on the T2 a bit better.

I did pick up a Trafalgar 2 and find it to be a very good brush. Probably my favorite right now. I also picked up the T1 and like the handle size a bit better but I like the performance of the bristles on the T2 a bit better.
Good call on getting the T2- it's a wonderful brush. As somebody who has put some good money into a Simpson collection (and love them all), if you're going Sovereign fiber, just stick to the Trafalgar series. Better value and they are excellent.

Top Bottom