What's new

Show us your Japanese Natural Whetstones

Picked up this really nice Shobu Asagi Goma, a hard and fine stone but still has that velvety feel under blade. Have really high expectations for this stone. The more I look at this stone the more I appreciate its subtle beauty. Reminds me of shark skin with the light and medium grey, a really cool stone.

1711045536467.png

1711045550661.png

1711046455368.png

I had a shobu that looked just like that but with less pronounced goma. Stupidly sold it. The feedback on that stone was the ultimate! Yet to find it’s equal in terms of sheer honing pleasure.

I was trying to edit my post, but they call this patterning of light and dark splotches Tamamoku. I had not run across this one before and had to do some research to find other stones with similar aesthetics and a true description. Found this, Good Video for JNAT visual Terms courtesy of Natural Whetstones.

I did hone a Kami on this last night to see what it was capable of, it is high end indeedy.

Next up, a little iromono koppa, barber-size-ish and around 600g:

View attachment 1802824
View attachment 1802825
Again, the sides look to me like they are hand-sawn, and the back has lots of scratches:
View attachment 1802826

I've seen this on a couple of other stones as well, don't know what it indicates. Maybe the miners checking the ore is good.

This one is slightly softer than the kiita, and a bit less fast, but makes amazing edges, just super close but very comfortable at the same time.
Every stone that I have had scratched up like that has been great. I figured it was from years and years of someone dulling their kamisori points.

The third stone is this suita san:
Forgot I was posting these up. Two to go from the junk seller!

1000000451.jpg

1000000459.jpg

This is a hard and fine finishing stone, another san. The backside is also usable...

1000000458.jpg
... in fact it's more usable! It seems a curious choice to mount it this way up in the base. The end has some kind of ◯ stamp:
1000000457.jpg

whose orientation suggests the stone may in fact have been mounted upside down?

Last up is probably my favourite of the bunch:

1000000453.jpg

1000000454.jpg

This stone is 210x70, well used and pretty thin, but still with 450g of life left in it. The end has the last vestiges of some purple stamp:

1000000452.jpg

It's not that hard and has a really great sharpening feeling, but unlike other slightly soft stones requires no particular attention to achieve a really nice edge, just super easy to use.

I rec’d this as a gift but unsure what it is, or if it’s good enough for razors. I believe previous owner said it was an extremely hard shoobadani (spelling?) and would need to use slurry stones to get anywhere. The bigger stone is maybe a little more blueish-grey in person, about 7”x2.5”. Any of you more experienced guys have any insights?

IMG_0853.jpeg
IMG_0854.jpeg
IMG_0855.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0857.jpeg
    IMG_0857.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 11
I rec’d this as a gift but unsure what it is, or if it’s good enough for razors. I believe previous owner said it was an extremely hard shoobadani (spelling?) and would need to use slurry stones to get anywhere. The bigger stone is maybe a little more blueish-grey in person, about 7”x2.5”. Any of you more experienced guys have any insights?

View attachment 1819794View attachment 1819795View attachment 1819796
Nice stones. I think you start separate thread to get some of the Jnat guys to help you out.

Top Bottom