What's new

Show us your Japanese Natural Whetstones

I love a kiita nashiji, got side pics?
E0A04B8D-22C5-4681-9B6E-A1F4902CD8E6_1_201_a Large 2.jpeg

92C2B54D-7E01-42EF-8E52-77BA00ECA267_1_201_a Large 2.jpeg

How do y'all finish your tomo nagura?

I had been finishing to 220, and even with the utmost care they would reliably scratch the blazes out of any stone I used them on.

I tried relapping to 600 today and they are much less prone to scratching, and apparently no slower in use.

How do y'all finish your tomo nagura?

I had been finishing to 220, and even with the utmost care they would reliably scratch the blazes out of any stone I used them on.

I tried relapping to 600 today and they are much less prone to scratching, and apparently no slower in use.
After i have rounded off the edges i don’t do anything to them. This is usually done with an atoma 400.
You need to find a good match. A piece cut from the base stone might not be the best match. So, a similar type of stone with slightly different properties. Softer naguras are often easier to use, but i do not get the same refinement with the ones i have compared to harder naguras, even if they are just as fine.

After i have rounded off the edges i don’t do anything to them. This is usually done with an atoma 400.
You need to find a good match. A piece cut from the base stone might not be the best match. So, a similar type of stone with slightly different properties. Softer naguras are often easier to use, but i do not get the same refinement with the ones i have compared to harder naguras, even if they are just as fine.

Attachments

• DSCN6863.JPG
    DSCN6863.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 12
  • DSCN6864.JPG
    DSCN6864.JPG
    992 KB · Views: 13
Large Tomonagura work best when their rubbing surface is not flat. Smaller tomo you can get away with it being flat. Cutting in a gullet with a hack saw and chamfering the edges when you do helps to prevent suction and loose clumps of grit breaking off in your (its) slurry.
It will save you hack saw blade if you cut the tomo when it is dry, otherwise the tomo/jnat will dull or de-sharpen the hack saw blade. I hold my tomo in a bench vice when sawing the gullet to prevent sawing my fingers.

Alx

Last edited:
Well, I liked the color so I bid. Slurry is nice and yellow. It absorbs water quicker than a very hard stone and it kicks slurry fast as well with a 1200 Atoma but it doesnt feel like a soft stone under the blade or when you tap on it with a razor. High pitch sound not dull. Test razor with DN slurry looked very nice under high magnification. Tried an asagi tomo and a kiita tomo down to dirty water slurry with the Colling razor. Impressed. Sharp and very comfortable.

15D47CDE-6596-4BAA-8010-0D4C68C199CA_1_105_c.jpeg

B888B69A-E7B1-4C85-B247-55DDC072E2B3_1_105_c.jpeg

Yessir. Number 296 from Alex. It’s too much stone for you though. 😉

Oh no! No.296 you say?! I assume you know about the dreaded 'Rule of 37'...?

Any of Alex's stones where the number is exactly divisible by 37, are always complete duds. Utterly useless. Couldn't sharpen a pencil on 'em. No one knows why, just the way it is.

If you pop it in the post to me, that'll free up space for about 200-300 NOS Pike Toothpick Hones to add to your collection.

Top Bottom