What's new

Shoe Advice

Can anyone speak of their experience sizing Herring shoes? The price looks fair, especially if it is of the quality that I am perceiving from some of the comments here, but I'd rather not order my usual size and find I needed something else after paying for shipping from Britain. Or to ship them back for that matter.

I've ordered from Herring's often and with UK shoes, they recommend going about 1/2 size under for UK sizes. I'm a US 11.5 medium so I order a UK 11 F (medium) for my Loake 1880s or my Herring shoes from Herring. I have 2 pairs of Allen Edmonds shoes (walnut Strand and black Fairfax) and 4 from Herring Shoes (they do ship very quickly).

Definitely check their 'clearance' section, I've had good luck with those and with regularly priced shoes from Herring Shoes. If you wish to stick with American made shoes then Allen Edmonds are pretty reasonable and I've enjoyed mine (Nordstrom has an anniversary sale on at present for some models of AE shoes) and I've found nice ones at Nordstrom Rack from time to time.

I disagree...J&M has taken a huge nosedive in terms of quality.
I guess YMMV on this one. I think J&M is great for the $$. I am certain most of you know this but there are two lines : Johnston and Murphy(mostly made for regular retail stores) and then there is J&M label(which is specifically made for their outlet stores). Yes, you will see some J&M line at regular retail and vice versa but I would bet the regular retail Johnston & Murphy are of a better quality.

I believe there is also a proper AE store nearby - I seem to remember it being near the arcade that Century Pens is in.

I never go to AE stores. I prefer Altman's they have all the same styles and many more sizes on hand. They do not carry my size at AE stores, it's a shame really.

Nordstrom rack off Michigan Ave usually has several different styles for reasonable around 150 - 200. I have bought a pair there and couldn't find an issue, as in seconds, most likely just overstocks.

So what would a basic collection of shoes include? A black oxford? semi brogue? brown brogue? What style is best if I am just starting with a single versatile pair?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
So what would a basic collection of shoes include? A black oxford? semi brogue? brown brogue? What style is best if I am just starting with a single versatile pair?

One versatile pair? Black oxford. It's the one shoe that you can wear with a suit to weddings and funerals, interviews, and daily to work. You need black, for funerals, evenings, and sombre occasions.

After that, you can get a dozen brown pair ... oxford, derby/blucher, chukas, boots, brogued versions, all sorts of stuff ... your shoe collection IMHO should be more brown than black, but you NEED one black pair of oxfords (unbrogued, captoe) first.

I have a pair of black Rockport dress shoes. I wear orthotic inserts to compensate for the shorter side of my body. I tried on Allen Edmonds in The Woodlands and discovered I would need to order a pair Benton to fit comfortably. Can anyone recommend a well built dress shoe that I can polish to a nice shine, not a matte finish and be durable and comfortable on my feet for at least five hours a day?

Best,
Jerry

I have a pair of black Rockport dress shoes. I wear orthotic inserts to compensate for the shorter side of my body. I tried on Allen Edmonds in The Woodlands and discovered I would need to order a pair Benton to fit comfortably. Can anyone recommend a well built dress shoe that I can polish to a nice shine, not a matte finish and be durable and comfortable on my feet for at least five hours a day?

Best,
Jerry

Ecco Atlanta cap toe, either in natural or black.
Very lightweight and very comfortable. I forget that I'm actually wearing a shoe when I wear them.
With proper care they'll hold up fine; I've had mine for 10+ years.

Top Bottom