What's new

Shoe Advice

I'm in the market for some new business shoes. I know Aldens and AE are always good bets (anyone know of good AE sales in Chicago???) but others here have mentioned there are other brands that are just as good and maybe even less pricey? I'd love something that will last a LONG time. Just a simple black shoe to start with, will get a mahogany pair down the road...

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Heresy to some here, I know, but the shoes made in England ... Northampton, to be precise ... are better than the two famous American labels.

Look for "Peal & Co" shoes in Brooks Bros stores ... made by a couple English makers specifically for BB. They are pricey, but on sale are good value.

Heresy to some here, I know, but the shoes made in England ... Northampton, to be precise ... are better than the two famous American labels.

Look for "Peal & Co" shoes in Brooks Bros stores ... made by a couple English makers specifically for BB. They are pricey, but on sale are good value.

You are right there about our Northampton shoemaker. There are several excellent makes.

Hadn't heard of Peal & Co so looked them up. Apparently the company closed in 1985 and Brooks Bros bought the company name. It would appear that the shoes are made for them under that name by Crockett & Jones.

Other British "Names" to look for would be Trickers, my favourite, have a couple of pairs of theirs, Church, Cheaney, the aforesaid Crockett & Jones, Loake, Grenson, Barker, and some others. If you're feeling particularly rich, there is always John Lobb!

A good place for Americans to buy these via the web is Herring Shoes. They have two branches, one not far from me. I have read on various fora that their international mail order is very good. They also sell their own range of shoes made for them by some of the above companies, much like Brook Bros have their Peal & Co. No connection other than having bought a pair of their "seconds" a few years ago and I still haven't found out why they were rejected as not perfect!

Sorry about the essay but I'm a great fan of proper shoes!

Gareth

Last edited:
I've heard a lot of good things about Herring Shoes (both the store and the brand of shoes made for them by Loake, Barker, and Church if I'm not mistaken).

That said, I actually just bought a pair of AEs because they were on sale for $200 at Nordstrom. The least expensive British pair that caught my eye was going to end up closer to the $300 mark after shipping and currency conversions.

I will definitely be buying a pair of British made shoes in the future, but as a student graduating in December, price was most definitely a concern.

Take a look at Johnston Murphy. True, they source most of their models overseas these days, but the quality is still there, at a lower price point, and they are not as clunky as Aldens.

I've had a good look at C&J and don't rate them. The only Barkers I've seen have been of the lounge-lizard variety with very thin, slippy soles- still not cheap though at 180 pounds sterling. I'd avoid.
Cheaneys are the "Epiphone" of Church's- bloody good shoes but about half the price of Church's. I got a pair of Cheaneys for $210 in 1990 and they were the best shoes I've ever owned. Grenson are also good. If you want them to last a lifetime, try Loake Braemars. I've had mine for 2 years now and they're still not broken in! Admittedly I don't wear them that much but I'd've thought they'd've been done at least a year ago. They really remind me of the original Dr. Martin's; I mean the original originals which lasted decades. The most important thing is to make sure the shop you buy them at will send then back to the original factory for resoling. All of the shoes listed above offer this serviced and its essential. They send them back to the last they were made on, reline if necessary, relast and resole, for about 35% of the price of the shoe. It takes a while but it will ensure you get the most out of them. Oh and BUY TREES. I didn't and it was a mistake.

Agreed. English shoe makers are almost always superior to most any US companies.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
You live in Chicago, just drive up north a couple hours, go to Port Washington, WI - there is the AE Shoebank. They have a lot of great deals all the time. You could even check in their store on Michigan Ave what kind of shoe you like and then call them in Port Washington if they have any deals on the models you like. I also have bought a couple times from Herring Shoes in England (Loake's shoes). Remember, the VAT will be deducted from their list price, and shipping is very fast and cost about 20 Pounds. If I order on a weekend, I had my shoes by Wednesday latest.

You can find an AE Shoebank closer than Port Washington. There's one in Brookfield, WI, which is about an hour from Chicago proper, just west of Milwaukee and about 5 minutes off of 94. I just bought a pair there myself, and they have a good selection and great service.

Is the AE Shoebank the same as the AE Factory Store? I've bought several pairs of AE seconds from the factory store. They come at a huge discount and I've yet to find a meaningful flaw--typically it's extra glue or a mark on the sole of the shoe that is gone or invisible within a day of wearing the shoe.

Last edited:
If you do purchase inexpensive shoes for work, please avoid Base London. I actually really enjoy their shoes, EXCEPT for the Heel and Sole underneath. It seems it is made of some kind of really soft rubber that collects ANYTHING you walk over, from pebbles to glass fragments. It ends up turning them into tap shoes or ice skates within a matter of 5 minutes and you will spend your entire work day picking collected items out of it.

Take a look at Johnston Murphy. True, they source most of their models overseas these days, but the quality is still there, at a lower price point, and they are not as clunky as Aldens.

I disagree...J&M has taken a huge nosedive in terms of quality.

S

Sam

I know JM is not well regarded, but it is not rubbish either. For $160 retail, you can catch AE on sale at their shoe bank around that, especially new Park Avenues at Nordies for $220.

Now, I got a pair of JM Meltons, their $160 shoe, for $48 shipped out of Nashville off ebay. I dont like the leather as much and it does not fit as nicely as my AE Park Avenues, but I was needing a shoe to wear in rain or bad weather and had a pair that I was going to resole, but the resole would have been $50 or more. SO no brainer, new shoes.

I find that if you get a nice laceup, especially a balmoral, and keep them shined, they are going to look spiffy with whatever you have one. To me, I spend the money to look better up top, and not so much down below. Most people look at your face, so a nice groomed appearance, great shave, and nice shirt and tie get noticed, and then people look at your feet in passing. Since I have not foot problems, God bless, I dont spend as much money. I have a hard time justifying $300 for a pair of shoes that in two months, look like $60 shoes. I will get another pair of Allen Edmonds, but two pair of black Park Avenues (a plain captoe balmoral) will take me through wearing suits 6 days a week.

SAS shoes. San Antonio Shoe company. You have to buy them in person but they are as comfy as it gets. I have a pair I wear daily for the last 5 years and they still look and feel great.

Here's a word of advice - if you have never bought AE shoes before (or even if you have but the shoes were built on a different last) you must got try them on first. I used to wear an 11 in Athletic/Low quality dress shoes. I wear a 9.5 EE in AE. It is a big difference.

Lloyds from Germany. Accept no substitutes. Expensive? - Yes, Long Lasting ? - Yes (Years), Extremely comfortable? - Yes, Lightweight? - Yes.

I have 3 pairs that I rotate daily (gives the others a chance to air). Entering my 8th year on the first pair alone.

Also, a pair of swims is a necessity if you are going to make the leap into serious shoes. The best way to ruin a pair of shoes is rain, snow, and especially salt.

Top Bottom