What's new

Shaving in the shower

r face lathering I've always just used my fingers even before or when not shower shaving

I enjoy face lathering with a brush, and I don't sacrifice that for shower shaves. I use a 24mm firm "cheep" boar brush that I don't mind replacing if I drop it, and it lives in my shower.

There are mirrors that you install in-line between the showerhead and the pipe coming out of the wall, diverts a tiny bit of warm water down the back of the mirror and keeps it from fogging up. I stopped shower shaving when I moved to drought country, but never had an issue otherwise.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I received my shower gear during the weekend. So here's what I got.

I bought a mirror from a company name Tooletries. While I was at it, youtube kept sending my ads to buy a silicone body scrubber. I didn't buy the one from the ad, I got the one from Tooletries also.

A quick note as I was reading the same thing about those items. They stick to the shower title but not perfectly. So, I usually find the mirror or the back brush with the hook at the bottom of the shower the next day. The body scrubber has a built-in suction cup at the back and that one holds well. My tiles are fairly large and I stick the items on a single tile, not on a joint where 2 tiles meet. So, since they don't stick, I don't leave them in the shower. If you can place your items somewhere else when you are done (shower caddy, or outside the shower, it's best). The body scrubber and back scrubber are surprisingly good. It's supposed to be more hygienic than using a rag. I usually only have my hands and soap for the fight.

Back to the mirror. It's about the size of my hand. I wasn't expecting something that covers the wall (and I didn't really look at the dimensions). The mirror sticks well, it's made of plastic with rubber all around it. It doesn't break when it falls. If I can't see anything, I simply send the water in the mirror and it's all good. I don't have much fog in my bathroom (with or without the fan) so I don't have a lot of issues with fog. The size is smaller than I thought but still big enough to see while I shave.

I may need an extra shelf in there to hold some stuff as my shower caddy is a bit too high but then, I can work with it.

The shaves went well. It now takes me longer in the shower but I cut the water while I shave and use my rubber scuttle. I think that my stash of soap will melt quicker but then, I'm not sure that I will finish my stash in my lifetime... So, not a big deal.

If I had to buy all these items again, I would probably get the mirror and body scrubber only. The back brush is nice but big and annoying since it doesn't stick to the wall.

Attachments

• IMG_1656.JPG
    IMG_1656.JPG
    1,002 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1657.JPG
    IMG_1657.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 9

Luc

Staff member
Reporting back after a week (or so). Going well. Lately (since covid), I was shaving every 2-3 days, sometimes 5 days could go by. Right now, I'm shaving every day again. It's easy, and fairly quick as I still enjoy shaving and I kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

The mirror sticks better on the glass panel of the shower. I need to try the hook (that I removed) The body scrubber has no issues holding on the tile and that one is quite good for washing. I'm finally using my shaving stash a bit more.

I also bought a soap to use with the scrubber (I thought why not while I'm at it). The label says "beard soap' but it works well (cleaning and bubbles).

Luc

Staff member
I tried to clean the mirror using my shave stick and it doesn't fog as much. Sticking to the wall is another thing. I can place it on the shower caddy and it works so it's good. I have some rain-x product in the garage (somewhere) that I could always try. I bought it but never used it. Got the treatment when I had the rust-proof treatment and it did not change my life at all so I never got around to using it.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I tried to clean the mirror using my shave stick and it doesn't fog as much. Sticking to the wall is another thing. I can place it on the shower caddy and it works so it's good. I have some rain-x product in the garage (somewhere) that I could always try. I bought it but never used it. Got the treatment when I had the rust-proof treatment and it did not change my life at all so I never got around to using it.

I shaved in the shower for quite a few years before I retired. Now I shave at the sink most of the time. The couple of threads you have posted on shower shaving has gotten me a bit nostalgic; so I have had a few shower shaves as of late. I used to have just a small, cheap shave mirror that cost me about $5 at Walmart. It had four of those little rubber suction cups on each corner on the back of the mirror. As I recall, It wouldn't stick very well to the tile in the shower, but it sticked and stayed fairly nicely on the glass shower door.

I have another mirror that I bought at Walmart or Target or somewhere a few years ago. Instead of suction cups, it has a metal holding frame that actually sticks to the shower tile, using some pretty strong adhesive.

Here is a pic of the frame.

IMG_1362.jpeg

Then the back of this mirror fits and slides down on top of the frame and is held in place.

IMG_1364.jpeg

It also has a plastic reservoir on the back that you fill with hot water while in the shower and it keeps the mirror, fog free while you shave.

IMG_1363.jpeg

I also have a corner caddie to hold my stuff while I shower.

IMG_1361.jpeg

Then when I’m ready to shave, I fill my green rubber shave mug with water and set it on a hand rail that sits just below the mirror. I rinse my razor off in this mug between passes.

IMG_1365.jpeg

This way, I can turn my water off at the shower head with a tap of the on/off button on the Navy shower head. Saves water while shaving. I can just tap the water on and off to rinse between passes or fill the mug with fresh water.

IMG_1366.jpeg

Here is a link with a video that shows how it works. :)

if you rainx your glass shower door like you would a windshield, you end up having to clean it less, especially with hard water.

Reactions: Luc

Luc

Staff member
I'm looking at installing one of those electronic water softeners in my house. I know there are many different models varying for a wide price range. I'm looking at those that are electronic since they don't need any pipes to be cut or anything. Also, maintenance seems minimum on these.

I'm looking at installing one of those electronic water softeners in my house. I know there are many different models varying for a wide price range. I'm looking at those that are electronic since they don't need any pipes to be cut or anything. Also, maintenance seems minimum on these.

I'm not sure those are going to help. They don't reduce the hardness of water. There's no ion exchange happening. They say they help precipitate out the carbonate but it's already insoluble and that's the core issue that a water softener removes through an ion exchange with sodium.

Placebo effect though can be strong enough to make you believe it works.

Luc

Staff member
I'm not sure those are going to help. They don't reduce the hardness of water. There's no ion exchange happening. They say they help precipitate out the carbonate but it's already insoluble and that's the core issue that a water softener removes through an ion exchange with sodium.

Placebo effect though can be strong enough to make you believe it works.
I'm not convinced either but you know, red pill, blue pill, as long as there's a pill you will be ok! SWMBO told me we need that so I'm looking at which one, where to install it, etc. If there's a different, good, if not, well, too bad.

I had foolishly assumed people turned the water off when shaving "in" the shower, which would make it inferior to taking two steps over to the sink and mirror.

Even leaving the shower running or turning it on briefly to rinse the face doesn't appeal to me. I don't see the attraction. But then, I'm a bath man anyway.

For me, shaving in the shower with water running would pressure me to shave fast which I wouldn't enjoy.

Last edited:

Luc

Staff member
I had foolishly assumed people turned the water off when shaving "in" the shower, which would make it inferior to taking two steps over to the sink and mirror.

Even leaving the shower running or turning it on briefly to rinse the face doesn't appeal to me. I don't see the attraction. But then, I'm a bath man anyway.

For me, shaving in the shower with water running would pressure me to shave fast which I wouldn't enjoy.
Well, the water isn't running while I shave in the shower. I use a valve to shut 98% of the debit. This comes back to what I would do at the sink. Lather can fly around and it's easy to clean afterwards. My soaps are melting a bit more quickly but then, with the quantity that I have, doesn't matter. In the end, it works well for me.

OkieStubble

Well, the water isn't running while I shave in the shower. I use a valve to shut 98% of the debit. This comes back to what I would do at the sink. Lather can fly around and it's easy to clean afterwards. My soaps are melting a bit more quickly but then, with the quantity that I have, doesn't matter. In the end, it works well for me.

How are your soaps melting in the shower? Are they under running water?

Luc

Staff member
How are your soaps melting in the shower? Are they under running water?
So far, Cella melted too quickly. I try to give the soap a splash of water when I jump in (but not soaking). Just enough to wet the surface.

Then, I would charge and face lather like I would do at the sink. I only rinse the outside of the container now. It seems to prevent the fast-melting soap situation. I will need to try the routine with the other tub of Cella that I have to see if it works or if the soap that I am now using is normally melting slower. Is it the technique or the soap?

When I'm done charging the brush, I turn the soap container upside down, That way, if it gets wet, the bottom of the tub gets the water instead of the inside of the container.

OkieStubble

So far, Cella melted too quickly. I try to give the soap a splash of water when I jump in (but not soaking). Just enough to wet the surface.

Then, I would charge and face lather like I would do at the sink. I only rinse the outside of the container now. It seems to prevent the fast-melting soap situation. I will need to try the routine with the other tub of Cella that I have to see if it works or if the soap that I am now using is normally melting slower. Is it the technique or the soap?

When I'm done charging the brush, I turn the soap container upside down, That way, if it gets wet, the bottom of the tub gets the water instead of the inside of the container.

Yeah, I dunno, I guess I’m kinda confused by not being able to picture how a soap would melt in the shower if the spray of water from the shower head isn’t directed onto the soap? I would think even an Italian soft soap would be ok if not exposed to even indirect spray or moisture? Maybe steam from the shower is melting them?

Admittedly, I don’t really do hot & steamy showers. When I shave in the shower, I put all my gear including the soap onto a corner shelf caddy and the spray from the shower head isn’t anywhere near the soap. When I’m ready to load my brush from the puck, I already have the shower head shut off by pushing the cut off valve closed.

A small trickle of water still leaks from the head while the valve is in the closed position, but I find that trickle allows me to still add water to my brush if needed. I confess that I don’t really use any Italian soft soaps or Croaps, but I do use Proraso cream in the shower and after my first face lather, I set the lather filled brush back onto the corner caddy while I’m shaving my first pass and when I reach for it again, the lather on the brush seems to be perfectly fine. No melting off the brush at all.

I also remove all my shave gear from the shower afterwards and don’t leave it sitting in the shower until next time.

Top Bottom