What's new

Shaving in the shower

My boys are big on shower shaving, but they do their craniums too. When they visit, they usually grab a tube of cream or a glycerin puck leaving Dad’s old school stuff alone.
I tried face shaving in the shower with KMF and it worked out ok, but the enjoyment of shaving was diminished. One day, dropped an OS mug, very old one. After removing my foot from my own arse, I never shower shaved again.

No.

gone girl blood GIF

I don't understand. Each activity takes different skill sets.

Have your shower, clean your bits, and get that done.

Then have your shave, use a sink and enjoy the whisker removal process.

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
My boys are big on shower shaving, but they do their craniums too. When they visit, they usually grab a tube of cream or a glycerin puck leaving Dad’s old school stuff alone.
I tried face shaving in the shower with KMF and it worked out ok, but the enjoyment of shaving was diminished. One day, dropped an OS mug, very old one. After removing my foot from my own arse, I never shower shaved again.
Ugh. Yeah, that my cure me from it too! Sorry my friend.

I shower shave only.

Turn the water right down when shaving. Did measure it once, bit under a litre per minute. Helps that I am not in a water poor area. Not all Australia is dry (though I still have a low flow shower head and don't use much water overall).

Not so good a method if it is cold and you don't have a heated bathroom, which I don't. But I also live in the tropics, on the coast. Lowest outside temp ever here is about 9ºC. If I just wait until late AM during cooler weather (which I can do because retired) it is always warm enough to comfortably shower shave.

Mirror fog is not a big issue in this climate. But going to have to try a fogless mirror anyway. :biggrin1:

Water beading is more annoying. Going to try using some Rain-X on my current glass mirror.

FarmerTan

I shower shave only.

Turn the water right down when shaving. Did measure it once, bit under a litre per minute. Helps that I am not in a water poor area. Not all Australia is dry (though I still have a low flow shower head and don't use much water overall).

Not so good a method if it is cold and you don't have a heated bathroom, which I don't. But I also live in the tropics, on the coast. Lowest outside temp ever here is about 9ºC. If I just wait until late AM during cooler weather (which I can do because retired) it is always warm enough to comfortably shower shave.

Mirror fog is not a big issue in this climate. But going to have to try a fogless mirror anyway. :biggrin1:

Water beading is more annoying. Going to try using some Rain-X on my current glass mirror.
I'll be down for a visit in February. I mostly have to see a toilet flush backwards. And I hate winter in Michigan!

Before I retired, I used to travel 8-10 nights per month. The easiest and most convenient thing to do was shave in the shower using a cartridge razor and whatever shampoo and/or conditioner was provided as my lubricant. I did not even worry about having a mirror; I learned to shave by feel with my eyes closed. I never got a great shave that way, but it was always socially acceptable.

Now that I am retired, I keep either a cartridge razor or a Schick injector razor in the shower for shaving the back of my neck. However, I only shave very 2-3 days since COVID as I do not go out as often. I get much better shaves at the sink using traditional wet shaving methods.

I greatly prefer shaving in the shower. Sink shaving is so much messier, I don't get it. Whiskers and lather drip down into my chest hair. Water gets all over the counter. I have to rinse off after I shave at the sink anyway, so it seems really stupid to dry myself off enough to not drip all over the floor, get splashed with hairy lather, go back in and rinse, then re-dry with a wet towel.

I'll shave where I can rinse freely, and my wet mess can wash down the drain.

Two and a half decades of shower shaves at work. A can of foam, and a cart. It was the mid eighties and I started to head shave. Bic’s were the big thing. I think I tried using a mirror for the first half dozen shaves and found it got in the way. It just occurred to me now that I shaved head first, then face. The order reversed when sink shaving. Like others I closed my eyes and relaxed for a close full head and face shave. Shaves were never rushed, I still love long showers. In retirement had to move to the sink, the men’s club forbade shower shaves. Thirteen years into retirement I got to B&B. I would add here that those years of shaving head & face by feel only was an excellent foundation to build a DE shave on. Even with carts. I had always looked forward to and enjoyed a home weekend sink shave with extra pampering. B&B wrote the book on pampering, and I read it. DE shaving took a grooming necessity into a luxurious space. Exploring efficiencies in comfort.

Let me think about this, a second…. Would a cart and a can be more better

IMG_0388.jpeg

Wet Shaves Rule. Some better than others……

FarmerTan

Two and a half decades of shower shaves at work. A can of foam, and a cart. It was the mid eighties and I started to head shave. Bic’s were the big thing. I think I tried using a mirror for the first half dozen shaves and found it got in the way. It just occurred to me now that I shaved head first, then face. The order reversed when sink shaving. Like others I closed my eyes and relaxed for a close full head and face shave. Shaves were never rushed, I still love long showers. In retirement had to move to the sink, the men’s club forbade shower shaves. Thirteen years into retirement I got to B&B. I would add here that those years of shaving head & face by feel only was an excellent foundation to build a DE shave on. Even with carts. I had always looked forward to and enjoyed a home weekend sink shave with extra pampering. B&B wrote the book on pampering, and I read it. DE shaving took a grooming necessity into a luxurious space. Exploring efficiencies in comfort.

Let me think about this, a second…. Would a cart and a can be more better

View attachment 1678231

Wet Shaves Rule. Some better than others……
Perfectly stated my friend.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I ordered a few things like a mirror to shave in the shower, the parcel is in the mail. I will possibly post a picture of the setup when it's ready.

We're remodeling our bathroom later this month to include a more friendly shaving environment in the shower, but I've shower shaved for the past 40 years. I started with the Trac II and canned foam, but have maintained it with bowl lathering and DE shaving. I have a shelf for all my equipment, plus a cup of water for rinsing the razor. After washing, I turn off the shower, build lather and shave. When I'm done I rinse my whole body and equipment completely and get out of the shower to apply AS and towel off. I've broken one lather bowl and one razor (luckily both were inexpensive) in this process. I do not recommend shower shaving with a straight.

I've been shower shaving for a few decades now. Love it. I'm usually in and out of the shower in about 10 minutes. Haven't used a mirror in a long time so no fogging issues for me. When I did use a mirror I did what I do for my diving/snorkeling mask, spit on it and rub it in.

For face lathering I've always just used my fingers even before or when not shower shaving. Used to use a can when I first started out. Then used Cremo for a long time. That holds up really well in the shower. I also head shave btw.

Recently I've been using and what has become my new favorite is Barbasol 1919. Slick, good staying power on the face, seems to have better cushioning then cremo, and washes off my fingers after applying pretty easily so doesn't make for a slick grip. I pick mine up from a Menards near me for pretty cheap. Only $4.99

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I shave in the shower during warmer weather. I reduce the flow of the shower head during shaving but I’ve discovered that if I cup my hand under the reduced flow and put the de head in my hand (carefully and handle up) I can pretty easily rinse off the razor for the next pass.

Top Bottom