What's new

Shaving in the shower

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Yeah, I dunno, I guess I’m kinda confused by not being able to picture how a soap would melt in the shower if the spray of water from the shower head isn’t directed onto the soap? I would think even an Italian soft soap would be ok if not exposed to even indirect spray or moisture? Maybe steam from the shower is melting them?

Admittedly, I don’t really do hot & steamy showers. When I shave in the shower, I put all my gear including the soap onto a corner shelf caddy and the spray from the shower head isn’t anywhere near the soap. When I’m ready to load my brush from the puck, I already have the shower head shut off by pushing the cut off valve closed.

A small trickle of water still leaks from the head while the valve is in the closed position, but I find that trickle allows me to still add water to my brush if needed. I confess that I don’t really use any Italian soft soaps or Croaps, but I do use Proraso cream in the shower and after my first face lather, I set the lather filled brush back onto the corner caddy while I’m shaving my first pass and when I reach for it again, the lather on the brush seems to be perfectly fine. No melting off the brush at all.

I also remove all my shave gear from the shower afterwards and don’t leave it sitting in the shower until next time.
I also remove all the gear when done.

I can't point out if it's a Steam issue or not. I admit that I was really careless when using Cella. Also, I was using a boar brush that's very stiff. So that probably didn't help my puck of soft Cella. I have since switched to my Finest Badger.

Cella was not receiving any direct water during the whole shower process (other than a quick splash when I jumped in).

Anyway, I can possibly test my next tub of Cella when I'm done with the Tiki soap.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I also remove all the gear when done.

I can't point out if it's a Steam issue or not. I admit that I was really careless when using Cella. Also, I was using a boar brush that's very stiff. So that probably didn't help my puck of soft Cella. I have since switched to my Finest Badger.

Cella was not receiving any direct water during the whole shower process (other than a quick splash when I jumped in).

Anyway, I can possibly test my next tub of Cella when I'm done with the Tiki soap.

I think you may have solved this puzzle. The warmer temps in the shower, could be just softening the Italian soft soap more, where I do think a stiff boar would just pick up more because it’s softer?

Man, your lathers must have been really good. I use a much softer synthetic and harder soaps. Switching to badger and a harder soap just might do the trick.

LOL. Let's face it. Shower shaving is cheating. It is as simple as that.
:c1:
Shower shaving is as nature intended. Wet, soapy, and naked, with nothing between you and the blade but a keen eye and a steady hand.

lasta

Blade Biter
You mean to tell me you have so much fresh water, that you let it run even when you are not washing your body?

During the shaving part I turn the hot water off, and the cold down to a bit under a litre a minute, just enough to rinse the razor between passes. Ends up being not much more water use (for the shaving part) than using a hand basin.

I am also in the monsoon tropics, so there is no shortage of water in my part of the world (for personal use stuff). We get an average of about 1700mm a year, with a minimum of about 900mm. It has to be captured and stored for the dry part of the year, but otherwise no water problem here. My water use is actually less than average here.

Besides, shaving in the shower doesn't necessarily mean you need the shower running. You could just have a bowl in there with water in it, same as a hand basin.

It is also much more convenient to shower shave from a clean up perspective. Can make as much mess as you like, and just rinse it all off at the end. Doesn't require any hand towels that need to get cleaned in the water using washing machine.

If you are smart about it, it ends up about the same, either way. :cool:

Top Bottom