What's new

shaving aginst the grain.

Never could do ATG on neck before. But I'm finding if I do very very light strokes, I can now get close to a true BBS on the neck even. For me, the trick is to get to the point where I hear the cutting but don't really feel it. And also to only do ATG touchups after WTG and light XTG.

I can go ATG on my cheeks, chin, and soul patch area, but my upper lip doesn't handle it well. My hair grows horizontally on my neck and I can't get the angle right so I stick to 1 or 2 N-S passes and leave it at that.

Not everyone can go ATG. Be sure to map your beard so that you know exactly how the grain runs in every area.

I can go against the grain on my neck with an R41 or an Injector, but nothing else.

That doesn't make a lot of sense to me but it is the reality.

I can generally do ATG on my neck successfully with an adjustable set to the lowest setting and a light touch.

My success rate here has improved a great deal -- mapping was a big element.
I'll still get some irritation now and again, though. I keep reminding myself not to push it and leave well enough alone.

I do think for some people it's easier to get irritation free on the neck and face. I almost never shaved ATG but lately my technique seems to have gotten better so I got consistent irritation free shaves ATG.

Then today I wanted to go back to 1 WTG pass, fked myself up(not really just some irritation I didn't expect). So moral of the story if you keep practicing a certain shave method eventually you get the muscle memory, and your skin gets used to it, etc.

Also I would consciously focus on using even less pressure on neck area. It has helped me a lot.

With more aggressive razors, I can get away with WTG and ATG, XTG is unnecessary for in that case. More mild razors, I need to do a complete 3 passer. Both of these shaves are comparable in terms of comfort for me.

So i changed my angel (very steep like 80) and super super light tuck and vuala no burn and super smooth and comfie.

I can go against the grain but I pay for it over the next couple days. For me its not worth it right now to go ATG. Plus I have to shave everyday for work so 1 pass WTG, and 3 passes XTG is just right for me.

Top Bottom