What's new

Shavemac 177 23mm, and Simpson Chubby 2-2band, what would be third choice?

Folks, I need some help. I have a Shavemac 177 23mm, and Simpson Chubby 2-2band. I am looking for a third brush for rotation. I am leaning towards a Rooney 1/1 Super or a Rooney Heritage "Stubby" Size 1. Looking for a brush that will provide a new experience, not too expensive, and possible travel with. Suggestions with knot, loft, and hair type to provide this new experience are appreciated. What would your third and final choice be?

It looks to me like we have similar tastes, but you are missing a boar. How about a Semogue 620 or 830? I have had my eye on both for a while.

I vote for the semo 1250... I haven't owned them long, but I've test lathered the 1250, 830 and 620 considerably, and the only thing I've noticed is that the 90% tops hair lathers MUCH faster than the 75% tops. And the 1250 feels a good deal more comfortable in my hand than the 830 as well as costing quite a bit less. The 1250 is a great little brush and may beat out my 2000 as my favorite boar. I'm actually looking at ordering a 1470 one of these days.

I've not had any problems with my 2000 yet, and it's seen a lot of use. I too much prefer bone, ivory, bakelite to wood. But so long as it's nicely shaped and the performance is there, and it holds up to use, I'm happy.

To be perfectly honest, I'm not in love with the acrylics Semo's are in. They're a little short and blocky for my taste. I much prefer the curves on their wood handles.

The 1250 is very similar to the 2000 with the following exceptions... noticeably shorter loft, MUCH less dense, and slightly more tops (lathers a little faster). Time will tell if it breaks in to be as soft as the 2000, but it's not there yet. I find the 1250 handle slightly better (shapewise) than the 2000. The grade of hair is lower on the 1250, but honestly the only difference I notice is that my 2000 arrived MUCH more prebroken in (most of the hairs were already split ended, whereas the 1250 looks like the boars I'm used to, pointy ended hairs for the most part).

Last edited:
Folks, I need some help. I have a Shavemac 177 23mm, and Simpson Chubby 2-2band. I am looking for a third brush for rotation. I am leaning towards a Rooney 1/1 Super or a Rooney Heritage "Stubby" Size 1. Looking for a brush that will provide a new experience, not too expensive, and possible travel with. Suggestions with knot, loft, and hair type to provide this new experience are appreciated. What would your third and final choice be?

Is the Shavemac a Silvertip or Finest?

A Rooney would probably be the next logical step for you based on comments here.

Is the Shavemac a Silvertip or Finest?

A Rooney would probably be the next logical step for you based on comments here.

The Shavemac is a Silvertip. Any Rooney recommendations that would not duplicate what I am using?

Last edited:
It looks to me like we have similar tastes, but you are missing a boar. How about a Semogue 620 or 830? I have had my eye on both for a while.

I have not considered a boar brush, but noticed they are getting attention lately in posts. I will give them a look, Thanks!

It seems that all of your brushes are with the higher level of badger hair. I would suggest mixing it up a little. For example a Shavemac in Finest or a Simpson in Best or Rooney's mid grade badger hair.

It all depends on where you intend to stop with the brushes.

My first vote would be for a Rooney finest. However, they are expensive and I don't know if there are any still available from vendors. Classic Shaving may have a few 2/1 Rooney finest brushes in stock. I have the 2/1 Rooney finest and love it.

That being said, my second and more realistic vote would be for a Rooney Super Silvertip -- either a 1/1 or a 3/1. If you want to save a little money, and don't care if the brush says "Rooney" on it, you can get one from Truefitt & Hill for less money. Use the B&B discount code and save 20%.

I have those same brushes and would suggest that you think about a Kent BK 8 in silvertip or a BK 4 in silvertip for travel. Another option which I use is a AOS travel brush which has its own screw-in tube of heavy plastic and is silvertip. :thumbup:

I nice Semogue or Omega boar may be in order.
If not, I can't imagine anything better than a Rooney 1/2 in Silvertip (well maybe in Finest!)

I nice Semogue or Omega boar may be in order.
If not, I can't imagine anything better than a Rooney 1/2 in Silvertip (well maybe in Finest!)

Thank you for your suggestions! I have settled on a 1/2 Rooney Silvertip.

Rooney 1/1 in Super.

Don't get the Heritage, the new Heritage hair is... not so great.

What's wrong with the new Heritage hair? I've never tried a Rooney, but I've been scoping some out lately. If the new Heritage hair is worse than the old, is it still better than the Super? It's silly, but I really love the look of the Heritage stubby handles.

Another thought...... you have a med-large Shavemac, an XL Chubby so what about a somewhat smaller brush which will be useful at home as part of your rotation as well as perfect for travel. A Simspon Case (in it's own travel tube) or even a Duke? Both of these are somewhat smaller than the brushes that you already have or if you really wish to try something different- a Wee Scot?!

I bought a Rooney 1/1 in silvertip this week, very nice, but the Semogue 1305 I bought at the same time stops it from getting a look in at the moment... Semogue 1305 FTW

Top Bottom