What's new

Shave Off Challenge

Tried cold water shaving and it works. I had less razor burn, and irritation than warm water shaving. Cold water shaving is not luxurious, just more comfortable.

Yesterday's shave: Performs just like a Derby. I don't understand why this blade costs as much as the Feather blades. After three passes, I had a couple of nicks and lots of razor burn. This blade is not smooth.
Here are the results:

Closeness: 10
Comfort: 9
Durability: 9.5 (it hasn't been 12 hours but I know it'll last, otherwise I'll edit)
Enjoyment: 9
Time: 6 (26 minutes start to finish a 3 pass shave)
Pre: Proraso Pre
SS: Tabac
AS: Proraso balm

I don't see the difference between a Derby, Gillette Yellow and the Iridium Super. Missed my Personna during the shave.

Today's shave: Is the Iridium Super the most over-hyped blade ever? I think so. After three passes I had several nicks and lots of razor burn. Second shave was worse than the first. That's it for this blade.

Here are the results:

Closeness: 9.5
Comfort: 7.5
Durability: 9.5 (it hasn't been 12 hours but I know it'll last, otherwise I'll edit)
Enjoyment: 8
Time: 6 (23 minutes start to finish a 3 pass shave)

I am glad that I found my favorite blade the Personna (Red Pack) early on. Shaving with the Gillette Yellow and the Iridium hasn't been fun. My original plan was to try each blade in both razors, the Slant and the Slim but I don't see the point of shaving with the Slim using a blade that has proven to be "inferior" in my experience. There is a lot of focus by most on the sharpness of the blade but I think the focus should be more on the smoothness. I can't think of a blade that I have tried that hasn't been sharp but very few are smooth. So far the Personna (Red Pack) has been very versatile and gives me a great shave no matter what type of a razor I am using.

Here is the ranking for the best blade:

1. Personna (Red Pack) smooth, sharp, long lasting.
2. Astra SP is a distant second.
3. Feather is the sharpest blade being manufactured today. The high price is well justified for its sharpness. Unfortunately the Feather is not as smooth as the Astra SP or the Personna (Red Pack).

Here is the ranking for the best blade:

1. Personna (Red Pack) smooth, sharp, long lasting.
2. Astra SP is a distant second.
3. Feather is the sharpest blade being manufactured today. The high price is well justified for its sharpness. Unfortunately the Feather is not as smooth as the Astra SP or the Personna (Red Pack).

Did I mention YMMV? The only way to find the best blade is to try different ones.

I made the mistake of not buying a sample of blades, instead I bought a bunch of razors :lol: which was a great experience in itself.

Last edited:
I was reluctant to buy the 39C because I already had the smaller Slant, the 37G, which at that time was my favorite razor. But now my favorite razor is the 39C followed by the Futur. I find it easier to shave with heavier, well balanced razors. Currently I'm trying to learn to shave with a straight razor, if I succeed and enjoy shaving with a straight I might sell my 37G.

I'll upload some past shaves that I think are interesting because I was taken back by the results.

Here are the results:

Futur Setting (6, 3)
Comfort: 10
Durability: 10 (still BBS after 16 hours; some stubble after 30 hours)
Enjoyment: 10
Time: 6 (23 minutes start to finish a 3 pass shave)
SC: TOBS Mr. Taylors
AS: Old Spice classic

One of the best shaves of my life and I didn't even use my favorite shaving soap: Tabac. Usually with TOBS I get at least a nick and some burn. I couldn't believe how comfortable the shave was. Needless to say it was a BBS. I had a two day stubble and the Futur was loud on the highest setting. It was louder than my straight razor (1/4 hollow). The Futur's performance was impressive.

Last edited:
First time shaving with really cold water and menthol products. It felt great; as if I was shaving ice off my face but in a good way. I left the Futur at the highest setting and it was loud. :thumbup:

Here are the results:

Futur Setting (6)
Durability: 9
Enjoyment: 9.5
Time: 5
SC: Proraso
AS: Skin Bracer

I really liked shaving with cold water.

Last edited:
Shaved with cold water again. I think it greatly reduces razor burn and irritation, I would say by 30%.

Here are the results:

Futur Setting (6)
Comfort: 9.5
Durability: 10
Time: 6
SC: Proraso
AS: ?

The Futur has outperformed my favorite razor the Slant. A bit awkward to write that. Slant is still my favorite razor.

Last edited:
It was really hot today and I wanted to shave with cold water but my scuttle arrived and I had to use it. The most comfortable fourth shave ever.

Here are the results:

Futur Setting (6)
SC: ?

This razor holds the blade in place with no play. I think that really helps during the shave.

Last edited:
A record: 5 shaves with one blade. Shaved with cold water and used ice cube to rinse. Very nice.

Here are the results:

Futur Setting (6)
SC: Proraso & Tabac

Last edited:
Another record: 6 shaves using once blade. The Futur is a great razor; it really brings the best in a blade.

Here are the results:

Futur Setting (6)
Closeness: 9
Durability: 9
SC: ?

The blade was tugging and pulling a bit. I didn't prep but still a good shave. I should have uploaded these earlier but better late than never. In terms of performance, the Futur leaves all of my others razors in the dust. The Slant 39C is still my favorite razor because it is old school, non-adjustable razor and I like the way it looks.

Last edited:
Yesterday's shave: it was kind of cold so I used my RAB scuttle, and my Semogue 2000 boar brush.

Here are the results:

Futur Setting (6)
Durability: 10 (was still BBS after 16 hours)
Time: 6 (22 minutes start to finish a 3 pass plus touch up shave)
Pre: None
AS: Witch Hazel

After three passes plus touch up, I had a comfortable BBS. Face felt like glass. Second shave with the Shark blade will be interesting.

Shaved using a scuttle. Also tried MWF shaving soap today. The blade took a dive today.

Here are the results:

Futur Setting (6)
Comfort: 8.5
Durability: 9.5 (was still BBS after 16 hours)
Time: 5 (26 minutes start to finish a 3 pass plus touch up shave)
SS: MWF

Not impressed with the Shark blade at all. I am not sure about the MWF soap; it provides nice slick lather but doesn't really protect the skin against the blade. I will try it a couple of more times with different blades to see what it can do.

The first shave with the Bic was decent. I used warm water. The shave was very comfortable.

Here are the results:

Futur Setting (6)
Durability: 9.5 (was still BBS after 12 hours)
Time: 6 (didn't keep time about I'm guessing 23 minutes)

The second and the third shaves expose the weaknesses of the blade.

Shaved with cold water and used ice cubes to rinse between passes. Most excellent! I think I would have had a less comfortable shave if I had used warm water.

Here are the results:

Futur Setting (6)
Durability: 9.5 (was still BBS after 12 hours)
Time: 6 (didn't keep time but my average has been 23 minutes)
SC: Proraso Cream
AS: Aqual Velva Ice

The cold water and menthol shave felt great. The blade was smooth on the second shave.

Shaved with warm water. The blade took a dive today. I had a few nicks and irritation. The razor didn't feel sharp.

Futur Setting (6)
Comfort: 8
Durability: 9.5 (hasn't been 12 hours but I know it'll last)
SC: Irisch Moos shave stick

Not impressed with the blade. It is slightly better than the Shark, Iridium, Gillette Yellow and Derby Extra.

I tried the Irisch Moos shaving soap and I was very impressed. It smells great, lathers easily and provides great cushion. It has a great scent, similar to Irish Spring. The only reason I bought the Irisch Moos is because it's made by makers of Tabac.

This blade is weak. Shaved with warm water.

Here are the results:

Closeness: 9
Durability: 8.5
SS: Irisch Moos
AS: Provence Sante Green Tea

The blade is not sharp nor smooth.

Last edited:
I changed to the smaller, lighter Slant razor to see if the blade would improve. It didn't.
I shaved using warm water and a scuttle. The warm lather felt nice.

Here are the results:

Closeness: 8.5
Durability: 8.5
AS: Floid

The Bolzano blade is not sharp and irritated my skin and both days had a few small nicks even though I was very careful.

Last edited:
Noah, just wondering, what did you think of the MWF?

It has many fans but I was a bit disappointed. Very slick but little cushion on the first try. I have a small sample and will shave with it a couple of more times to see how it performs.

I have been using Irisch Moos soap stick, holy cow it's so easy to build lather that it feels like cheating.

Last edited:
Top Bottom