What's new

Shampoo Bars

where can one purchase "plain coconut oil?"

thanks,

jr/john

Just about any natural grocery store and many health food stores. Note that coconut oil is, in fact, a semi-solid to solid below 76 deg. But, it will melt quickly in your hand, so don't expect to see a liquid in the jar. And, a little goes a long way.

vitacost.com also has some good prices.

Just about any natural grocery store and many health food stores. Note that coconut oil is, in fact, a semi-solid to solid below 76 deg. But, it will melt quickly in your hand, so don't expect to see a liquid in the jar. And, a little goes a long way.

vitacost.com also has some good prices.

I now use the soap bar called "cream of coco". Bit easier to handle and works just fine.

I've been curious to try shampoo bars for a while now but why is it better than just shampoo in a bottle?

Many times, they don't have detergents such as Sodium Laurel/Laureth Sulfate which basically aren't good for you. I mean, they won't kill you in shampoo, but if you have the option of getting it without, why not take it? I heard they use detergents like things to clean grease and grime off factory floors. I hope that's true. I don't want to be a liar or a fear mongerer.

Also, the bar is more concentrated. By nature, the bottle of shampoo is filled with water. I'm not going to guess the percentage because I'm not qualified to do so, and I'm lazy :) But a little product goes a long way with a bar. I have a bar I got in January from Chagrin Valley, and I probably won't run out till July or August. After that I think I'll get one of the Cafe Moreno bars! Sounded interesting!

To give you some perspective on how much I use: When I shower, I take the bar of soap and rub it in my hands for like 3-5 seconds, and that small amount... almost a film on my hands... is plenty to shampoo my whole head.

Last edited:
Many times, they don't have detergents such as Sodium Laurel/Laureth Sulfate which basically aren't good for you. I mean, they won't kill you in shampoo, but if you have the option of getting it without, why not take it? I heard they use detergents like things to clean grease and grime off factory floors. I hope that's true. I don't want to be a liar or a fear mongerer.

There are a lot of things that have a "less than lovely" sounding use. Detergents work well with hard water because they don't leave behind the soap scum. By the same logic as industrial cleaning, strong acids have no place in anything else because they're used in industry. It's all about proper use and not using something that irritates your skin personally. If it irritates your skin, that's fine. It doesn't bother mine.

It's a chemical that's good at removing oils because it's chemically favorable. It has no "evil inclinations" as it's inanimate.

Also, the bar is more concentrated. By nature, the bottle of shampoo is filled with water. I'm not going to guess the percentage because I'm not qualified to do so, and I'm lazy :) But a little product goes a long way with a bar. I have a bar I got in January from Chagrin Valley, and I probably won't run out till July or August. After that I think I'll get one of the Cafe Moreno bars! Sounded interesting!

To give you some perspective on how much I use: When I shower, I take the bar of soap and rub it in my hands for like 3-5 seconds, and that small amount... almost a film on my hands... is plenty to shampoo my whole head.

Ethan,

Thank you, that was a great explanation for me to understand. I was always curious about the longevity of the bars and thought you had to rub it in your hair for it to work.

I'll be looking into some.

It's really up to you. While store shampoos do have detergents and other chemicals... they're safe enough for washing your hair. We've all done it and everyone is fine so far. So just picking shampoo bars just because of that isn't really necessary if you have been fine with using a bottle shampoo so far.

However, I switched to shampoo bars and am very happy to have done so. I do have some reaction to the chemicals in shampoos. My scalp is a bit more sensitive and it gets itchy fast if I use shampoos in a bottle (and I tried every single one on I could find locally at this point.) Now that I'm using the bar, the itchiness is completely gone. My hair is also becoming a lot less oily now since the bars don't strip my hair of natural oils like the store shampoos did, they don't produce as much oil as a result. The ingredients in the bar are also very good... my hair looks and feels better (but it's a YMMV thing... some people might get better results with a bottle shampoo.) A bar also lasts way longer for me than a bottle, while the cost is practically similar. And finally, the smell is WAY better for the bars. And some people seem to have trouble with residue, depending on their water. I have no clue if the water here is soft or hard... I always thought it was hard, but I never had any residue problems.

But really, at the end, it's all a preference. I suggest you get one bar and try to see if its your thing or not.

I grabbed a bar of Liggett's at the health food store, although Nid's post doesn't leave me very hopeful.

I'll check out Chagrin Valley (anyone else here actually been to Chagrin Falls, Ohio?). Looks like Queen Charlotte makes one as well, and I know others have been mentioned in this forum but I've thus far been too lazy to search. EDIT: Aha! The Wiki!

I have in fact been to Chagrin Falls Ohio, since it is about 20 minutes from me I go a few times a year. Very neat place, old school "downtown" neighborhood. It is not only where the unknown won't even go, if you catch my drift.

I just received my order of shampoo bars from Chagrin Valley Soaps, extra honey beer and cafe moreno. Naturally, I got it after I showered this morning. Will post thoughts after I use it.

I do need to take advantage of their local pickup option (I think I saw it on their website while checking out), it would be neat to meet Sam in person. I have been using their coconut bar for about 2 months, it is great.

There are a lot of things that have a "less than lovely" sounding use. Detergents work well with hard water because they don't leave behind the soap scum. By the same logic as industrial cleaning, strong acids have no place in anything else because they're used in industry. It's all about proper use and not using something that irritates your skin personally. If it irritates your skin, that's fine. It doesn't bother mine.

It's a chemical that's good at removing oils because it's chemically favorable. It has no "evil inclinations" as it's inanimate.

Yeah, I suppose you're right :001_smile When I read stuff on shampoo bars on here, it seems like this is one of the main reasons people switch, or at least one of the main 'perks' people mention about it, so I thought I'd relay what I've picked up on here.

Ethan,

Thank you, that was a great explanation for me to understand. I was always curious about the longevity of the bars and thought you had to rub it in your hair for it to work.

I'll be looking into some.

Bah, should've multiquoted, I'm sittin' here lookin' like a noob lol :laugh:

Anywho, yeah, I actually found that it was better rubbing it in my hands because I found very quickly that if I rubbed it directly in my hair, it would pick up all the loose hair on my head and it would stick the bar and wouldn't rinse off! :angry:

And yeah, I didn't mean to paint SLS in such a bad light. I listened to a podcast from Stuff You Should Know about why orange juice tastes terrible after you brush your teeth, and I've had a vendetta against SLS ever since. Pretty innocuos reason to hate an ingredient, huh?

And yeah, I didn't mean to paint SLS in such a bad light. I listened to a podcast from Stuff You Should Know about why orange juice tastes terrible after you brush your teeth, and I've had a vendetta against SLS ever since. Pretty innocuos reason to hate an ingredient, huh?

SLS is the reason Orange Juice tastes bad after brushing your teeth??

Gosh. You really do learn something new everyday. Nevermind the fact I can't remember what yesterday's was... :lol:

SLS is the reason Orange Juice tastes bad after brushing your teeth??

Gosh. You really do learn something new everyday. Nevermind the fact I can't remember what yesterday's was... :lol:

Yes! I love sharing this tidbit of info. I will be writing this based on the podcast I'm relistening to right now :) "It's [SLS] like Conan the Destroyer as far as phospholipids are concerned." Your tongue has these things called phospholipids that cover the bitter taste receptors on your taste buds. Keep in mind, this isn't the fabled "taste zones" erroneously taught in kindergarten, these are chemical receptors at a microscopic level on your tongue. SLS (a foaming agent that does nothing but "make you think that your teeth are getting cleaner and helps sell toothpaste.") basically amplifies your bitter receptors and dampens sweet receptors and after drinking orange juice, leaving you "with your knees pulled up to your chest, rocking in the corner, just WAITING for this to subside." And studies show this effect last about an hour. :) :thumbup1:

Does anyone have an opinion on QCS shampoo bars?

Thanks,

Moe

Since no one else has responded, I'll let you know that the QCS shampoo bars are good stuff. I prefer Chagrin Valley's bars slightly, but if you are buying shaving cream/soap from QCS (and you should be:biggrin1:) you can kill two birds and add a shampoo bar to your order.

For the lazy people like myself who is reading this thread, you guys should post the links to websites where you purchased the goods.

:001_smile

Since no one else has responded, I'll let you know that the QCS shampoo bars are good stuff. I prefer Chagrin Valley's bars slightly, but if you are buying shaving cream/soap from QCS (and you should be:biggrin1:) you can kill two birds and add a shampoo bar to your order.

I bought a tea tree and lavender bar when I ordered my Key Lime soap. It's rather nice! I shave my head really short (prematurely bald and whatnot) and it definitely does the trick. Definitely worth checking out!

Top Bottom