What's new

Settled on just four fountain pens

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Oops! Forgot to attach the pic.

IMG_20201113_020526.jpg

...The only places I find that fountain pens don't work, and I need to go for a "modern" option, is with either multi-layer "press through" carbon-copy documents on the one hand, and glossy paper greeting cards on the other.
Carbon-paper far pre-dates the advent of the biro (ball-point pen), and back then fountain pen manufacturers produced nibs specifically designed for impressing through carbons. In fact, many sturdy steel nibs of the day would serve that purpose....and did.
I shouldn't be surprised if one or more modern manufacturers are producing such nibs.
As for the modern scourge of coated greeting cards, I know of no fountain pen ink that works on them.

I use one of these nail buffer thingies for sorting any initial nib issues out. It's never failed me yet. It fixes any minor "baby's bottom" issues on the nibs so it flows properly, removes any scratchy corners, and polishes it up to get the right bite or feedback.

By cobalt blue and emerald green, are you referring to inks or pen bodies?
Inks , those are my favorite colors, wanted to try some out.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Inks , those are my favorite colors, wanted to try some out.

I've only had a very narrow exposure to different inks. I'm very happy with Diamine Sherwood Green, but haven't found my ideal blue yet. Pure Pens Saltaire looks promising to me, but I've too many other blues here for me to work through and use up first though.

There wasn't anything major required on any of them though, just simple stuff that even a clueless numpty like me can figure out. A little fine tuning of nibs, by writing on fine emery ...
Would you expand on that please, Al (for a much more clueless fountain pen numpty :letterk1:)?

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Would you expand on that please, Al (for a much more clueless fountain pen numpty :letterk1:)?

I'll certainly try, Cal :biggrin1:

Some pens have what's known online as baby's bottom syndrome, were the blob at the tip doesn't sit properly on the page due to the split in the blob being radiussed at the groove...

IMG_20201121_031328.jpg

... (google it for a better description - words are failing me), and the ink doesn't flow to the page properly. That can happen over time time from use too, I think. Also, there might be an angle ground on the nib which doesn't match how you hold the pen. Too steep, too shallow, etc. Both can affect flow, and cause skipping etc.

Writing on emery... I use one of these nail buffer things...

IMG_20201121_030315.jpg

... corrects any baby's bum, and seats the nib to your handling. It also removes any scratchiness from the manufacturing, and allows you to tailor the feedback to your preference.

Reactions: Cal

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Brilliant!

Would THIS be one to go for? And, do you just use the final two (of the seven) grits... or all of them?

Yup, that's the one I went for :thumbsup: As to which to use, like any sanding job, it depends where you're starting and finishing :biggrin1: Steps 4, 5, 6 and 7 ave got ink on mine, but not necessarily all the same colour ;) If your nib just feels a bit "toothy", you might get away with just the finer ones. The more correction needs doing, the coarser the grit you might want to start with.

I might (can't be certain, but pretty sure I did) have started on a sheet of wet and dry on nibs that needed heavy adjustment (most of my pens didn't need it). Lay that sheet on a notepad, so there's a little give, but less than that foam buffer thing. Writing figure eights and infinity signs is pretty much all you need to do. That'll let you do the heavy corrections, and let the buffer thing then give you the "feel" you want, and soften any scratchy corners.

⬆ Excellent, Al. How many "buffers" would you recommend me to purchase?

I currently have three pens that need just a "little" attention. I was thinking maybe two (one to use and a spare "just in case").

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
⬆ Excellent, Al. How many "buffers" would you recommend me to purchase?

I currently have three pens that need just a "little" attention. I was thinking maybe two (one to use and a spare "just in case").

I bought three, but have only used one. It is however, about ready for me to ditch it, as I sometimes strop my pocket knife on it too :) I'd suggest two or three

I bought three, but have only used one. It is however, about ready for me to ditch it, as I sometimes strop my pocket knife on it too :) I'd suggest two or three
Many thanks for your help Al, much appreciated. :001_cool:

I've just ordered three "buffers."

I've been doing a little YouTubeing and have just adjusted the tines on my "daily driver." Much better. It definitely has Baby's Bottom Syndrome (as per your sketch), so I expect it will be "perfect" shortly after I receive the "buffers." :biggrin:

You' da man! :punk:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Many thanks for your help Al, much appreciated. :001_cool:

I've just ordered three "buffers."

I've been doing a little YouTubeing and have just adjusted the tines on my "daily driver." Much better. It definitely has Baby's Bottom Syndrome (as per your sketch), so I expect it will be "perfect" shortly after I receive the "buffers." :biggrin:

You' da man! :punk:

Glad I could help :thumbsup: What pens do you have, out of interest?

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Oh, @Cal just one more thought. You mentioned that you adjusted the tines on your pen. Sometimes a nib can be a bit dry, a feed can be a bit dry, or an ink can be a bit dry. Once the nib and tip groove meets paper properly, I personally adjust the nib last. If a certain ink flows well in all but one pen, then yes, a bit of a tweak may be needed. I tend to check the feed first though.

I had to do this on a pen just last week actually. I pulled the nib and feed, cleaned both, and then lightly ran the tip of a pin down the feed groove. It did snag at first, then cleared it (whatever "it" was), and flow improved with no further nib adjustments needed.

With feed cleared of obstructions, I then pick an ink I know flows well in other pens, and "set" the nib flow to that. If you tweak the nib with a dry ink, or a bit of debris in the feed channel, then switch to a faster ink or the debris clears, you can end up with a real gusher of a pen, and have increased feathering (furry looking writing) or bleed through, depending what paper you're using.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Getting back to my own kit for a moment, I might completely cheap out on pens, but I do like to lay the Diamine ink down on decent paper.

IMG_20201121_122133_edit.jpg

This little order arrived from Cult Pens today. Clairefontaine pads from their 1951 and Europa lines. I do like Rhodia too, which uses the same paper. I find these to be good paper for fountain pens, at a decent price as well.

One A4 wirebound, one A5 wirebound, one A5 clothbound, four A5 staplebound, and three 90x140mm staplebound, for £31 delivered.

Brilliant!

Would THIS be one to go for? And, do you just use the final two (of the seven) grits... or all of them?
You can also check out the pen tuning supplies at Goulet Pens. They have brass sheets, mylar paper, and micro mesh. You can buy everything in a kit complete with magnifier. If you need tips on progression and what things to try for which problems, just do a search for "nib tuning" and check out some of the YouTube videos.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Does anyone know how to speed up (make wetter) an ink? I've read somewhere that dish soap can be used, but don't know how accurate that is.

The bottle of Diamine Teal I have, doesn't work well in any of my preferred pens. It just doesn't seem to flow well, and pens will completely stop writing. We're not talking a stutter here and there, we're talking totally dry nib as if it's choked up the feed. I have tried it in my wettest pen, and it does work OK in that, but it's not a pen I enjoy using. I'd like to try/risk tweaking it so it flows well through my other pens.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Does anyone know how to speed up (make wetter) an ink? I've read somewhere that dish soap can be used, but don't know how accurate that is.

The bottle of Diamine Teal I have, doesn't work well in any of my preferred pens. It just doesn't seem to flow well, and pens will completely stop writing. We're not talking a stutter here and there, we're talking totally dry nib as if it's choked up the feed. I have tried it in my wettest pen, and it does work OK in that, but it's not a pen I enjoy using. I'd like to try/risk tweaking it so it flows well through my other pens.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!

That would be perfect, but sadly not available over here, and shipping would be prohibitive... probably 4x as much as the bottle. I can find pen flushing fluids over here, but nothing advertised to do what that does.

As an aside, that fast flowing pen I filled with the Diamine Teal, conked out on me earlier. Same thing, ink not getting through. If it can gunk that pen up, it's worse than I thought. I'm wondering if I might be better just dumping that ink, and carrying on without it.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
That would be perfect, but sadly not available over here, and shipping would be prohibitive... probably 4x as much as the bottle. I can find pen flushing fluids over here, but nothing advertised to do what that does.

As an aside, that fast flowing pen I filled with the Diamine Teal, conked out on me earlier. Same thing, ink not getting through. If it can gunk that pen up, it's worse than I thought. I'm wondering if I might be better just dumping that ink, and carrying on without it.
Hmm, bummer. Okay, then from my foxhole, I think you have a few options...

A. Hit the googles and see if you can find out more about that White Lightening stuff. There's probably an old thread on FPN about how to homebrew it.

B. Since Diamine is usually a very concentrated ink, you could try thinning it down with distilled water. You'll want to decant a little into a test tube and add water a drop or two at a time until you get the flow you want.

C. Forget Diamine Teal and get an ink that works with your pens. There are dozens and dozens of lovely teal inks on the market. Maybe call up a retailer in your country (UK? Cultpens is pretty great) and ask for a recommendation for a wet ink in the color you want. Personally, I find that Pilot Iroshizuku and Monteverde inks flow really well in my driest writing pens.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Hmm, bummer. Okay, then from my foxhole, I think you have a few options...

A. Hit the googles and see if you can find out more about that White Lightening stuff. There's probably an old thread on FPN about how to homebrew it.

B. Since Diamine is usually a very concentrated ink, you could try thinning it down with distilled water. You'll want to decant a little into a test tube and add water a drop or two at a time until you get the flow you want.

C. Forget Diamine Teal and get an ink that works with your pens. There are dozens and dozens of lovely teal inks on the market. Maybe call up a retailer in your country (UK? Cultpens is pretty great) and ask for a recommendation for a wet ink in the color you want. Personally, I find that Pilot Iroshizuku and Monteverde inks flow really well in my driest writing pens.

Well DuckDuckGo seems to be taking me to places tat suggest tiny amounts of dish soap. As the ink is currently in a pen I'm not particularly enamoured with, I'll take a chance with it.

It's a piston filler, so I'll try to pull the nib and feed out, dip the needle of a syringe into some liquid soap (not draw it into the syringe, just coat the needle), and poke this down where the feed goes, and give it a stir. If that works without disaster, I'll go the same to the ink in the bottle.

If it all goes horribly wrong, I'll ditch it for another ink. Diamine Twilight, which I already have, is rather similar in colour but without the flow issues. I just want to see if I can salvage the Teal first, rather than waste it.

Top Bottom