What's new

Semogue 1250 Natural Boar Bristle versus Semogue Owners Club?

How do these two boar bristle brushes compare to each other? Is the only difference in the wood used for the handle?

TIA,
Sid

These are very different brushes: size, density, backbone ... very different.

This chart has some details.

I have both and am not a fan of the 1250, but the SOC might be my favorite brush.

Ok, very different.

Size, the spread appeared to be slightly different.
Density, is the SOC denser and if so, how much denser?
Backbone, which works better for hard soaps? Is it scratchy on your face and hard to break in?

Pictures and various descriptions on various websites didn't really clarify how the two are different from each other beyond one being a "premium" owner's club brush. Being over twice the cost, I am trying to understand what the differences are beyond the obvious purchase price and the appearance of a different spread.

I'm not sure how to quantify the density objectively, but the SOC is much denser and works better on hard soaps ... but blooming always helps. It takes quite a bit of time to break in. I don't recall either brush as being scratchy at the beginning. The 1250 also needs some break in, but takes maybe 1/3 the shaves. The SOC generates lather much better, in my experience, and holds more lather (which I like for face lathering).

Both brushes "bloom out" and are really beautiful with their wooden handles and uniform blond bristles.

I'd recommend the 830 over the 1250 if you want a smaller brush: more backbone.

I'd recommend an Omega Pro 49 if you're new to boar brushes: it still takes some break in, but is really cheap, produces and holds a ton of lather. Very different bristles, though.

You can break in boar brushes by repeatedly soaking them and letting them completely dry, you don't have to shave with them. If they smell, just lather them up with your favorite soap and let them sit over night.

You can break in boar brushes by repeatedly soaking them and letting them completely dry, you don't have to shave with them. If they smell, just lather them up with your favorite soap and let them sit over night.
@objectuser, Thanks for that info. I've had an OC and an 830 for a long while but usually use one of an assortment of badgers. Last time I used the OC, after a long hiatus, I was very pleased with the lathering, scritch, backbone. Didn't know that wetting and drying repeatedly would aid in break in. Great info.

Both are good brushes but for me the 1250 is better suited for bowl lathering while the SOC makes a great face lathering brush.

For me, the 1250 is close to the ideal brush. The SOC is simply too big and too floppy. Overrated as well.
YMMV
Jeff

I don't find my SOC floppy at all, the sheer density gives it more backbone than my 1250.

Due to the size and density, the SOC eats soap for breakfast, and despite being called Special, I do find the hair grade and overall face feel being a tiny bit scritchier than either my 1250 or 610.

Both are still fine brushes capable of bowl or face lathering, but from the copies I have I'd say if you're looking for a soap eater with backbone and density, go for the SOC, but if you're looking for something a little softer on the face, go for the 1250.

Also, +1 on the 830 if you want that extra bit of backbone and softness.

I have the 1250, I’m really pleased with it, didn’t take long to break in and minimal smell when new. Loads up well and delivers a smooth application, great for me as I have sensitive skin. I both bowl and face lather depending which soap I’m using. Well worth the money, I think I paid £12 for it from shave lounge who provide free delivery. I will probably buy another and keep the 2 going and alternate.

I prefer the SOC. SOC' s handle is absouletly much better. The quality of bristle is much better. 1250 is cheaper but SOC deserves the price.

I have both. The SOC is not as dense at I was expecting it to be. The SOC handle is better, but only slightly so. The backbone is similar -yes, the SOC has a little more backbone.
I would buy the 1250 again, but not the SOC. From the two "samples" I have bought, the SOC is clearly overrated at double+ the price of the 1250.
Maybe I have a great 1250 and a less-great SOC, I don't know. I only use synthetic brushes now anyway, but the 1250 is one of the best boar brushes I can think of (the others are Omega 65 and Proraso by Omega)

Just my 0.02 (euros) :)

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
The 1250 is a lovely brush with an overall good performance, pleasing look and honest price point. But the SOC is just better for more backbone, higher grade of hair and more solid handle. The price difference reflects the superiority of the SOC. IMHO.

The added density of the SOC makes me prefer it to my 1250. The 1250 just seems wimpy in comparison.

I got the 1250 first, then the SOC. Wish I'd have skipped the 1250 and just gone with the SOC.

No comparison here gents.

SOC is truly amazing. 1250 is an ok brush, but not dense enough, lacks backbone and the hair of SOC is better in many ways.

If I have to choose one boar brush that can be near the SOC is the 1800. Much better brush from 1250.

Can the SOC be soft as a badger after the break in? So, I did read.

Differently soft, and good, but no, not as soft. The density and backbone won’t allow the same degree of splay as with a badger, but my tips are soft and not scritchy. And not floppy. Similar to a chubby in face feel, I guess is the best way to describe mine.

I’ve got a 1250, and it’s ok. Much softer face feel, but enough backbone to facelather with (my only lather technique). Lots of splay, very soft, doesn’t pick up/hold/release the same amount of lather, but I have no issue with hard soaps. I gave a new shaver an 830 years ago because it was too soft and floppy for me face lathering once it fully broke in.

That and a SOC are my only boars. I rarely use them and I have one synth that I might use on an actual travel day, because I simply prefer badgers.

Differently soft, and good, but no, not as soft. The density and backbone won’t allow the same degree of splay as with a badger, but my tips are soft and not scritchy. And not floppy. Similar to a chubby in face feel, I guess is the best way to describe mine.

I’ve got a 1250, and it’s ok. Much softer face feel, but enough backbone to facelather with (my only lather technique). Lots of splay, very soft, doesn’t pick up/hold/release the same amount of lather, but I have no issue with hard soaps. I gave a new shaver an 830 years ago because it was too soft and floppy for me face lathering once it fully broke in.

That and a SOC are my only boars. I rarely use them and I have one synth that I might use on an actual travel day, because I simply prefer badgers.

This is the reason I bought a 620 instead of the 830.

Top Bottom