What's new

Seeking recommendations for the daily shaver in a hurry

Welcome to the fray... also known as B&B where the people are amazing and the knowledge to be had is only limited by the rabbit holes we explore.

That said, when I first started into DE shaving I had trouble with safely and satisfactorily completing it in the morning rush.... Unless your beard rapidly makes its presence known may I suggest you join the Brotherhood of Night Shavers. Taking a few extra minutes to "wind down" at the end of the day with a relaxing shave has multiple benefits.

The reason I want to move away from cartridges is because I feel like they lack any art. There is no challenge or fun there.
So, it's not that you are averse to cartridges, you just don't find them fun or exciting anymore. Many suggestions were given. Shave at night, no. Wake up earlier, no. Go for single two pass shave at most, no. I'm not sure what you are looking for as an answer.

If you want to do DE shaving for an enjoyable change of pace, challenge, fun, "art", then you have to devote the proper amount of time to it. How can you really enjoy it if you are looking to blow through it in order to get out of the door quickly?

Perhaps a compromise is in order? You don't have an issue with using carts so why not use them on the mornings of your work days and do DE shaves on the weekend when you can take the time to enjoy the process?

While still learning, you could do the first pass with the Henson and then use the cart for the second pass. Or, if you’re really short on time, use the brush and cream with the cart.

Jay21

Collecting wife bonus parts
I am a Newb to DE shaving, but have been cartridge wet shaving for almost 50 years. My morning routine is always hurried as I try to get to work. With a cartridge razor, I could fling the blade across my face with reckless abandon without paying a penalty in skin and blood. I have noticed that DE shaving requires me to be more deliberate to avoid bloodshed. I shower immediately before shaving, and use a brush and quality cream like Taylor of Bond Street or Trumper. I am looking for any hints or recommendations about how to get the fastest, safest shave daily as I rush to off work. Thanks in advance.
Not to sound rude, short, or terse—but I’d rather wake up 15 minutes earlier so I wouldn’t have to rush. For me, switching to DE shaving isn’t only about the improved end result in shorter stubble compared to cartridges. It’s about the whole process of taking my time and having quiet time to myself in the bathroom every morning. In the instances I am rushed, I used canned goo but still shave with the razor as I normally do with soaps.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I wish the easy evening shave was my answer. But alas, I frequently work long hours, late into the evening. Then I just come home and jump into bed and get up at 4:30 to do it again. I just need to make my morning shaves more efficient. I tried my new Henson mild today and it was pretty much drama free for 2 passes. Perhaps mild is my way.
You have been shaving for almost 50 years, which I guess puts you into your early 60s, about 5 years older than me. I admire your stamina and dedication to rise at 4:30 and then to frequently work late into the evening. Respectfully though, if it is possible for you, perhaps it is time to slow down a bit, and make time for shaving and other pleasures. Good luck with whatever you decide 👍

I wish the easy evening shave was my answer. But alas, I frequently work long hours, late into the evening. Then I just come home and jump into bed and get up at 4:30 to do it again. I just need to make my morning shaves more efficient. I tried my new Henson mild today and it was pretty much drama free for 2 passes. Perhaps mild is my way.
I very much found myself in a situation similar to yours when I first started out with DE razors. I agree with all comments so far and I love spending time with my DEs when I actually have the time. The only thing I could add is to maybe also consider a sharper and thicker blade from the likes of GEM and AC, maybe you'll save on having to do multiple passes with those? Most mornings I'm in a rush and I complete my shaving in literally a minute or two with 1 pass. May not work for everyone but worth the try I'd say :)

You have been shaving for almost 50 years, which I guess puts you into your early 60s, about 5 years older than me. I admire your stamina and dedication to rise at 4:30 and then to frequently work late into the evening. Respectfully though, if it is possible for you, perhaps it is time to slow down a bit, and make time for shaving and other pleasures. Good luck with whatever you decide 👍
Your reading of my age is pretty good. 66 actually. I'm up at 4:30 to drink coffee, exercise and pack food for the day. Then shower and shave and off to work. Slowing my whole life down is not in my cards yet> I am blessed to have work that is still gratifying after all these years. DE shaving is a bit better since I got my Henson mild a few days ago now. I find I can whip that razor around pretty safely while I learn. I am determined to conquer this skill!

I very much found myself in a situation similar to yours when I first started out with DE razors. I agree with all comments so far and I love spending time with my DEs when I actually have the time. The only thing I could add is to maybe also consider a sharper and thicker blade from the likes of GEM and AC, maybe you'll save on having to do multiple passes with those? Most mornings I'm in a rush and I complete my shaving in literally a minute or two with 1 pass. May not work for everyone but worth the try I'd say :)
I like that idea. What do you use as a GEM razor? One good pass would be great!

I like that idea. What do you use as a GEM razor? One good pass would be great!
Honestly if you don't want to spend much just get a Shield Predator in Aluminium from Aliexpress, they run for about £28 which I guess is 35 dollars give or take. It's amazing with the Personna GEM coated blades.

Henson Medium and either Jack Black Beard Lube or Jack Black Supreme Cream, Cremo for the economical pick cream.

I'm up at 4:30 to drink coffee, exercise and pack food for the day. Then shower and shave and off to work.
Most days, I shave in the shower. It cuts about 5-10 minutes off my morning prep, and the shower loosens stiff muscles in my back.

I shave by feel, not by sight any more. Things started getting blurry about 24 years ago, and I found I could feel my way around my beard better than I could try and find that magic spot just close enough to the mirror to see.

Something about exercise causes pores to open and facial hair to become more exposed, then showering (with shampoo / conditioner on my beard also) softens everything and makes a 1.5 or 2 pass very effective.

I used to prefer slightly heavier, aggressive razors for speed. Now, I like aluminum and titanium razors that are somewhere between mild and aggressive, opening the handle 1/4 turn for extra speed when running late. My favorite for absolute speed is an ATT Windsor SB90 Aluminum.

Shaving in the evening doesn't work for me - by 10AM I look like I rolled out of a boxcar.

Some tips;

1. Face lather, it is so much faster. Even faster than canned goo. The Marco Method is great.
2. Learn the Gillette slide. It is two passes in one. Then one more pass and done. Or maybe even one pass.
3. Use the sharpest blade you can tolerate. It goes much faster. Rayclem’s blade evaluation (google it) can help.
4. AC razors cover more ground per pass. Could be worth a look.
5. Two razors can also speed things up. The right tool for the right job. But it depends on your needs.

Your reading of my age is pretty good. 66 actually. I'm up at 4:30 to drink coffee, exercise and pack food for the day. Then shower and shave and off to work. Slowing my whole life down is not in my cards yet> I am blessed to have work that is still gratifying after all these years. DE shaving is a bit better since I got my Henson mild a few days ago now. I find I can whip that razor around pretty safely while I learn. I am determined to conquer this skill!
Maybe I missed this, but what were you using before the Henson?

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I am a Newb to DE shaving, but have been cartridge wet shaving for almost 50 years. My morning routine is always hurried as I try to get to work. With a cartridge razor, I could fling the blade across my face with reckless abandon without paying a penalty in skin and blood. I have noticed that DE shaving requires me to be more deliberate to avoid bloodshed. I shower immediately before shaving, and use a brush and quality cream like Taylor of Bond Street or Trumper. I am looking for any hints or recommendations about how to get the fastest, safest shave daily as I rush to off work. Thanks in advance.
Sir, for a quick and safe shave I suggest sticking to a quality cartridge system. In addition to my beloved DEs I also use the Gillette Mach 3 disposable, it delivers surprisingly great shaves.

So, it's not that you are averse to cartridges, you just don't find them fun or exciting anymore. Many suggestions were given. Shave at night, no. Wake up earlier, no. Go for single two pass shave at most, no. I'm not sure what you are looking for as an answer.

If you want to do DE shaving for an enjoyable change of pace, challenge, fun, "art", then you have to devote the proper amount of time to it. How can you really enjoy it if you are looking to blow through it in order to get out of the door quickly?

Perhaps a compromise is in order? You don't have an issue with using carts so why not use them on the mornings of your work days and do DE shaves on the weekend when you can take the time to enjoy the process?

Perfect. 🙂👍

Most days, I shave in the shower. It cuts about 5-10 minutes off my morning prep, and the shower loosens stiff muscles in my back.

I shave by feel, not by sight any more. Things started getting blurry about 24 years ago, and I found I could feel my way around my beard better than I could try and find that magic spot just close enough to the mirror to see.

Something about exercise causes pores to open and facial hair to become more exposed, then showering (with shampoo / conditioner on my beard also) softens everything and makes a 1.5 or 2 pass very effective.

I used to prefer slightly heavier, aggressive razors for speed. Now, I like aluminum and titanium razors that are somewhere between mild and aggressive, opening the handle 1/4 turn for extra speed when running late. My favorite for absolute speed is an ATT Windsor SB90 Aluminum.

Shaving in the evening doesn't work for me - by 10AM I look like I rolled out of a boxcar.
I am tempted to try the shave in the shower, but I think I will wait a bit until I am better at holding the angle. Same goes for more aggressive razors. I am sure they are more efficient, but I want to improve my technique safely before I ramp it up. Thanks.

Top Bottom