What's new

Seeking recommendations for the daily shaver in a hurry

I am a Newb to DE shaving, but have been cartridge wet shaving for almost 50 years. My morning routine is always hurried as I try to get to work. With a cartridge razor, I could fling the blade across my face with reckless abandon without paying a penalty in skin and blood. I have noticed that DE shaving requires me to be more deliberate to avoid bloodshed. I shower immediately before shaving, and use a brush and quality cream like Taylor of Bond Street or Trumper. I am looking for any hints or recommendations about how to get the fastest, safest shave daily as I rush to off work. Thanks in advance.

Welcome aboard!

I suggest you read through the WiKi and watch a few videos.

You might consider learning how to make a good lather using either a soap or cream. You can continue using carts until you master that aspect.

My ‘standard’ razor recommendation is usually either the 34C HD or one of the EJ 89 series. These are fine shavers in the ‘mild/moderate’ category. I also suggest you purchase a blade sampler pack or two.

Mostly, enjoy the journey!! :thumbup::thumbup:

Welcome back to B&B! We are so happy that you decided to rejoin us.

Onto your mission of shaving quickly in the morning. since you are just starting out with DEs you first need to become proficient with them. @BigJ had some excellent suggestions for razors in that they are on the milder side and that would probably work better for daily very quick shaves. However, over time you might find out differently. Who knows.

Anyways. You will probably have a hard time learning on a tight time frame that you are after eventually. You might want to considering shaving in the evening. I do this because I do not have time to shave properly in the morning before work. I do shave daily as what you are after. You might find that shaving in the evening would be more relaxing as well.

My recommendation is to learn to use a DE first by shaving in the evenings at least for a while until you get down the technique and not be under so much time constraint. After that see what kind of routine that you can work out in the morning. You might only do one pass shaves in the morning in the time you allot for yourself or you may just get up 15 min earlier and get in a full one.

There are many threads dedicated to time saving measures in shaving here on B&B.

Just out of curiosity, is there a reason that you're moving away from using a cartridge if you've been pleased with it for 50 years? If that works for you then there's no reason that you have to stop. That being said, finding the right razor/blade combo, the right soap or cream, and time and experience can lead to a tremendous and efficient shave with a doubled edge razor. A couple of other thoughts.
  • You could get up 30 minutes earlier, but I understand sometimes there's just not enough time in the day.
  • You can experiment with some razors well-known as almost mindless (Henson, Karve, etc.).
  • You could seek to reduce your number of passes. Can you go with just a WTG pass or just 2 passes such as WTG/ATG?
All of that being said, your speed will pick up as your experience does if you want to keep using a DE razor.

I am a Newb to DE shaving, but have been cartridge wet shaving for almost 50 years. My morning routine is always hurried as I try to get to work. With a cartridge razor, I could fling the blade across my face with reckless abandon without paying a penalty in skin and blood. I have noticed that DE shaving requires me to be more deliberate to avoid bloodshed. I shower immediately before shaving, and use a brush and quality cream like Taylor of Bond Street or Trumper. I am looking for any hints or recommendations about how to get the fastest, safest shave daily as I rush to off work. Thanks in advance.
Are you a daily shaver with your cartridge razor? Do you require a near-BBS shave every day, or are you shaving 1 pass with the grain and calling it done?

If you're shaving 1 quick with-the-grain pass daily (I'm guessing based on your post), I'd suggest a Henson AL13 (mild), which can be had for $70, or less for a used one. It shouldn't be too hard to get used to, you just have to adjust to using a very light touch compared to cartridges. But if you're not aiming for perfect smoothness, you can get a close, comfortable shave with little to no bloodshed in 1 pass.

There are many other good options at higher or lower price points. The Merkur 34c or EJ 89 suggested above are good choices - I haven't used them, but from what I understand they're almost as mild as the Henson and half the price.

Just out of curiosity, is there a reason that you're moving away from using a cartridge if you've been pleased with it for 50 years? If that works for you then there's no reason that you have to stop. That being said, finding the right razor/blade combo, the right soap or cream, and time and experience can lead to a tremendous and efficient shave with a doubled edge razor. A couple of other thoughts.
  • You could get up 30 minutes earlier, but I understand sometimes there's just not enough time in the day.
  • You can experiment with some razors well-known as almost mindless (Henson, Karve, etc.).
  • You could seek to reduce your number of passes. Can you go with just a WTG pass or just 2 passes such as WTG/ATG?
All of that being said, your speed will pick up as your experience does if you want to keep using a DE razor.
Thank you for your thoughts. The reason I want to move away from cartridges is because I feel like they lack any art. There is no challenge or fun there. I just received a Henson Al 13 and look forward to trying it. Even with my lack of technique and bit of bleeding, I somehow am getting far more satisfaction from DE shaving.

I already get up at 4:30 am, so getting up earlier just is not happening. And somehow, even when I do get up earlier, I still fill the available time. I am working toward 2 pass shaving (WTG, XTG) because a single pass still leaves too much stubble with my early technique.

Are you a daily shaver with your cartridge razor? Do you require a near-BBS shave every day, or are you shaving 1 pass with the grain and calling it done?

If you're shaving 1 quick with-the-grain pass daily (I'm guessing based on your post), I'd suggest a Henson AL13 (mild), which can be had for $70, or less for a used one. It shouldn't be too hard to get used to, you just have to adjust to using a very light touch compared to cartridges. But if you're not aiming for perfect smoothness, you can get a close, comfortable shave with little to no bloodshed in 1 pass.

There are many other good options at higher or lower price points. The Merkur 34c or EJ 89 suggested above are good choices - I haven't used them, but from what I understand they're almost as mild as the Henson and half the price.
Thanks. I just received my AL 13 (mild) and look forward to giving it a whirl!

Welcome aboard!

I suggest you read through the WiKi and watch a few videos.

You might consider learning how to make a good lather using either a soap or cream. You can continue using carts until you master that aspect.

My ‘standard’ razor recommendation is usually either the 34C HD or one of the EJ 89 series. These are fine shavers in the ‘mild/moderate’ category. I also suggest you purchase a blade sampler pack or two.

Mostly, enjoy the journey!! :thumbup::thumbup:
That's why I'm here! To enjoy the journey. Cartridges are just a bland commute.

Thanks. I just received my AL 13 (mild) and look forward to giving it a whirl!

Congrats, that is a terrific razor. Join the Henson Club for lots of advice and sharing.

I already get up at 4:30 am, so getting up earlier just is not happening. And somehow, even when I do get up earlier, I still fill the available time. I am working toward 2 pass shaving (WTG, XTG) because a single pass still leaves too much stubble with my early technique.

Since you don't want to add time, you may want to consider first just mastering a 1-pass with the Henson. You'll need to gain a light touch, figure out your lather and brush, etc. and that will give you time. If you haven't yet, it is well worth your time to get a full mapping of your beard grain. That will make your shaves more efficient and effective. Then once you have that all down, you can add a second pass.

Welcome back!

Even in my 40+ pre-DE years of electric, injector and carts, I always preferred shaving in the evening without showering first. Faced with an hour or more commute, and wife and daughters fighting over the bathrooms in the morning, my routine was shave at night - shower in the morning, before anyone else was up. Evenings were my me-time, where I could just relax and enjoy a DE shave.

Even in my 40+ pre-DE years of electric, injector and carts, I always preferred shaving in the evening without showering first. Faced with an hour or more commute, and wife and daughters fighting over the bathrooms in the morning, my routine was shave at night - shower in the morning, before anyone else was up. Evenings were my me-time, where I could just relax and enjoy a DE shave.
I switched to evening shaves years ago, when I was getting up early to cylce to work. I don't cycle in the morning any more, but still shower/shave the night before.

Relaxing, my face could heal if I had a bad shave, sleep in an extra 30min. Win Win Win.

I do after shower night shaves. Clean, refreshed and no rush. But I did morning shave for years. Mach 3, electric and shavette. Living with a wife and two kids, the bathroom is pretty much packed especially in the morning. So I switched to nights in ‘10. So I avoid their Rush Rush.

I somehow am getting far more satisfaction from DE shaving.
I completely get this. I, too, started DE shaving, not because I got bad shaves or any irritation from cartridge razors, but because I wanted to give it a shot, and I ended up simply enjoying it more.

I hope that you enjoy your Henson+. I enjoy mine very much. The only others that I want to try are the Overlander or the Bison.

My morning routine is always hurried as I try to get to work. I am looking for any hints or recommendations about how to get the fastest, safest shave daily as I rush to off work. Thanks in advance.
Ahhh, you are on the wrong path...

Set that alarm a bit earlier and enjoy the sound of whiskers meeting their end, enjoy the scent of your chosen soap or cream, and enjoy the entire shave - pass after pass after pass.

A Henson razor will serve you well with no drama. Amazing precision and a bargain at the price.

I wish the easy evening shave was my answer. But alas, I frequently work long hours, late into the evening. Then I just come home and jump into bed and get up at 4:30 to do it again. I just need to make my morning shaves more efficient. I tried my new Henson mild today and it was pretty much drama free for 2 passes. Perhaps mild is my way.

Schick injector, perhaps a G or J model. Flickable, very cartridge-like feel, no technique required, and the best shave possible. Use Chinese Schick blades, in the yellow package, for fantastic results. As easy as it gets. And used canned foam for an even faster shave.

Top Bottom