What's new

See-through alternative for lather (around moustache)

For shaving, I've been using Trumper's Skin food and a shaving cream of theirs, face-lathering. But now that I'm sporting a pencil moustache, I'm looking for something instead that lets me see what I'm doing there and still lets the blade glide well without hurting the skin. This is even more timely now because with that shrubbery under my nose, I'm shaving more often.

What should I try around the moustache, do you think? I tried using only the Skin food, but it wasn't enough on its own, didn't make the razor glide well.

Any recommendations?

What should I try around the moustache, do you think?
Jack Black Beard Lube.
Jack-Black-Beard-Lube_2023-08-06.jpg

Don't be put off by the name, it's actually a translucent shaving gel and works extremely well.

If I didn't love playing with brushes and lathering so much, I'd use it all the time. BUT, when I want a fast and highly accurate shave, this is the one.

The beard lube is definitely good stuff. I can't find it locally though. If you want something close that can be found in my local Walmart check out Cremo. Just rub it on and don't lather it. Very slick and almost completely transparent when applied by hand.

Sooo - I've been using it for a week now, and it's pretty good. Maybe obviously, I miss the face-lathering, but it would be wrong to claim I shave any worse with the "beard lube". So I'll use it under my nose at least, and maybe indeed only pack this for shorter trips. (For your amusement: it has happened at least once that after shaving, I saw my trusted brush still soaking. That's the first thing when I shave, so I had done that on autopilot and then forgotten until I was done and started tidying.)

Next step: find a way to take a smaller amount on trips, not the big and heavy tube.

Reactions: Cal
Sooo - I've been using it for a week now, and it's pretty good. Maybe obviously, I miss the face-lathering, but it would be wrong to claim I shave any worse with the "beard lube". So I'll use it under my nose at least, and maybe indeed only pack this for shorter trips. (For your amusement: it has happened at least once that after shaving, I saw my trusted brush still soaking. That's the first thing when I shave, so I had done that on autopilot and then forgotten until I was done and started tidying.)

Next step: find a way to take a smaller amount on trips, not the big and heavy tube.
Buy one of the those little tupperware containers. They are like the size of a shot glass.

You won’t use your brush again. Actually use it and you won’t get as good as shave, good way to compare.

Sooo - I've been using it for a week now, and it's pretty good. Maybe obviously, I miss the face-lathering, but it would be wrong to claim I shave any worse with the "beard lube"...

There's another product from Jack Black called Supreme Cream that is similar to the "lube", but it does allow you to lather it with a damp brush if you choose. It works well...

Supreme Cream: might not be transparent enough, judging from their video.

I'll compare a bit and see if the lube is indeed better, then decide.

Tupperware: yes, or simply some sort of tube or bottle. There seem to be lots on Amazon and eBay, silicone; I'll just have to make sure they don't leak and refilling them is reasonably easy.

I tried this and liked it (it seems the basic formula is available in multiple places, this is just an example):

I ended up not using it because I decided something more like soap or cream was my preference for now, but as something translucent/transparent it worked pretty well.

There is (or was?) a product called "King of Shaves Antibacterial Shave Gel, Aloe and Tea Tree". I had to go and delve out my sample, as I probably got it in 2018.

I don't think it was too bad, and maybe I should try a revisit.

EZ Blade Shaving Gel

It is the only shaving gel I use. I like to see what I am shaving, while shaving. I do not lather or use a brush when shaving.

I use only SE’s with PAL CS or GEM SS blades. I shave my face and head daily. I have a goatee. I like the bald head look. I am balding.

It looks like green goo but applies clear. It provides a waterless shave. It has a pre shave oil base. Easy to apply. Very slick. Razor glides effortlessly. A little goes a long way.

I get mine from eBay. I saw it at Walmart. I no longer see it there. I saw it on Amazon. It has its own website.

Comes in two sizes:

$9.99 6 oz
$19.99-$21.99 16 oz

Top Bottom