What's new

Scent/Fragrance of the Day - 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Black Amber
by Michele Bergman

This is better. It started out a tad clean with another "white" note in the opening, which disappeared quickly. There was also what I thought of as a patchouli note in the opening, that I really liked, but I don't think this has any patchouli in it. Or maybe it does, perhaps a little. But the opening was unexpectedly sweet, clean, and earthy, which quickly turned into a rich, warm amber scent. I typically wear ambers in the cooler months but I'm really enjoying this. It's perhaps not my favorite amber (Ambre Fetiche, followed by Amber Absolute and Ambre Nobile - actually, not necessarily even in that order). I can detect a touch of vanilla in this, a little bourbon vanilla bean, something less gourmand and a little more boozy, but just a touch. An excellent amber, but I'm not sure what makes it "black."

proxy.php

Last edited:
As far as I know, it has been discontinued, re-released, and then discontinued again. However, I very recently got a notification that one of the usual online discounters had it in stock again, but I see it is already sold out. Sorry I don't have a more definite answer for you.

It is easily one of my top 5...

EDITED TO ADD: Good catch on the Insense on the BST! I would have been all over that had I seen it sooner! :thumbup:

Thanks! I went straight to the BST after posting the question and there it was. Appreciate the info on it as well.
It looks like Amazon has it available, I don't know anything about the source...
http://www.amazon.com/Insense-Given...TF8&colid=1GMPATNSIQSHX&coliid=I13WT3WTEGQL7X

Chlorine added to water yields two acids depending on temperature and pH (Hypochlorous, HOCl; and Hypochloric, HCl). Urine contains urea (NH2), which is a derivative of ammonia, and reacts readily with Cl- to form chloramines. Chloramine is the "pool" smell, so what you're actually saying is that perhaps gardenia (or jasmine in this case) or perhaps something else in Black Gardenia has a noticeable amount of a chloramine. Very interesting.

I disclaim from the first two sentences. I did not say that. The rest may be possible. I find that possibility very interesting too.

proxy.php

My best guess...
Notes: Leather, Patchouli, Oakmoss?

I don't know if it is because of age, but Lubin Daimo is a skin scent right from the opening. When I first sprayed it on my wrist, I thought it was weak so after it dried I sprayed a second layer and then a third. I purchased a decant of this vintage frag on sale at Perfumed Court. I can find no information on the Internet about this one and I was only able to find this one image of the bottle. All I got at the opening was a light leather note, after a while I began to notice what smelled to me like patchouli. This scent remains consistant for a couple hours and just before it fades away I thought I detected some oakmoss. On my skin Lubin Daimo is a skin scent from start to finish and only lasts 4 hours. A nice frag, certainly non-offensive, only wish it lasted a bit longer.

More Vintage Frags - Week 28
Antonio Puig Sybaris (vintage 1988) - Monday
Pierre Cardin Centuare (vintage 1991) - Tuesday
Pierre Cardin Centuare Cuir Blanc (vintage 1996) - Wednesday
Hermes Bel Ami (vintage 1986) - Thursday
Lubin Daimo (vintage 1954) - Friday

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom