What's new

Scent/Fragrance of the Day - 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
I must have missed a few days. It may be too late, but....

Someone asked me about the Carven Vetiver recently. How would you describe it, Bill?

....and how would you describe the Lanvin Vetiver, Ron?

Yes, Bandit is like Aramis on steroids!

What do you think of the Le Vainqueur, Bill? I found it to be a very light, modern fresh scent.

Great pic! This one sounds very dark and heavy?

A bit late, but I guess better late with my response,but better none at all. Sorry about that. If you compare this Vetiver to the original I suppose you might be a tad disappointed. If you view this fragrance as a stand alone fragrance, I don't think you will be disappointed. This showcases the lighter side of the Vetiver note, and is blended in accordance with lighter notes, so that no one note overtakes another. I guess you could say It's a bit soapy, a tad Floral, blended with hints of light woods throughout. Because some might consider this a non contender in the crowded field of Vetivers, I would not over look it. Longevity is not great, so spray away with this one. Will it contend with the heavy weights in this field? Well probably not, but by the same token I wear it because It simply smells good., and thats good enough for me....

Jicky PdT--rockin' it old school, today. This does not seem to be the Jicky expression I had a small amount of way back, that seems extraordinarily potent and dirty. I wish tsmba was around to tell me what that was exactly! This one seems more distinctly lavender, too. Not that I do not love it.

Black Gardenia
by Michele Bergman

This is supposedly as close as you can get to pure gardenia oil - not that it's actually possible - but this stuff goes on thick and sweet with a candy-like sweet-tarts effect. At first I thought I was in for a bad day what with the blinding white screechy sweet opening - there was a moment where I also thought I smelled chlorine, like at a swimming pool. In fact, it reminded me a lot of SMN's eponymous scent but not as dry and much more potent. There's an obvious jasmine note in there as well that I don't think helps - I actually think it's the source of the candy-like smell - but as it dries down it becomes softer, creamier, more like the intoxicating flower that I love. Gardenia is a very difficult smell to reproduce in a perfume so on that note this is a huge success once you're an hour into it. My favorite gardenia though is still PG's Gardenia Grand Soir.

proxy.php

Black Gardenia
by Michele Bergman

This is supposedly as close as you can get to pure gardenia oil - not that it's actually possible - but this stuff goes on thick and sweet with a candy-like sweet-tarts effect. At first I thought I was in for a bad day what with the blinding white screechy sweet opening - there was a moment where I also thought I smelled chlorine, like at a swimming pool. In fact, it reminded me a lot of SMN's eponymous scent but not as dry and much more potent. There's an obvious jasmine note in there as well that I don't think helps - I actually think it's the source of the candy-like smell - but as it dries down it becomes softer, creamier, more like the intoxicating flower that I love. Gardenia is a very difficult smell to reproduce in a perfume so on that note this is a huge success once you're an hour into it. My favorite gardenia though is still PG's Gardenia Grand Soir.

I honestly don't know how gardenia smells but there was a short documentary the other day about the 'swimming pool' aroma. It doesn't come from chlorinated water. I used to sample water from water reservoirs on the places where water was chlorinated. Just chlorinated water smells metallic/acidic. Characteristic swimming pool aroma comes from chlorinated water mixed with (human) urine. :001_unsur

I honestly don't know how gardenia smells but there was a short documentary the other day about the 'swimming pool' aroma. It doesn't come from chlorinated water. I used to sample water from water reservoirs on the places where water was chlorinated. Just chlorinated water smells metallic/acidic. Characteristic swimming pool aroma comes from chlorinated water mixed with (human) urine. :001_unsur

There's a Kouros joke to be made there but I can't lay my hands on it - I must need another cup of coffee ;-)

Someone asked me about the Carven Vetiver recently. How would you describe it, Bill?

I really like the Carven. It's got a touch of citrus up front and then it has a good earthy/rooty vetiver. It's a bit swampy, but not to the extreme of RdV. My biggest knocks on it are that it's a mid-range on the silage and only seems to last 4-5 hours on me...

What do you think of the Le Vainqueur, Bill? I found it to be a very light, modern fresh scent.

I think that is an accurate description. I very much like the lavender in it but it is light.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Accords: woody, earthy, citrus, leather, animalic

Top: mandarin, sage, bergamot, lemon
Middle: patchoulli, orris root, cedar, jasmine, carnation, basil
Base: leather, vetiver, oakmoss, styrax, vanilla, coconut

Bel Ami is an 80's style frag beneath an animalic leather note. I don't really care for these older style frags, but the animalic leather definitely adds a unique character. Opens with a blast of citrus which doesn't last long. The herbs and florals are well blended with neither standing out. Doesn't begin to fade for 8-10 hours and then remains a skin scent for a couple more hours. Does not turn powdery on my skin even though it has both oakmoss and vanilla. Bel Ami is a classic frag, but just not my style.

More Vintage Frags - Week 28
Antonio Puig Sybaris (vintage 1988) - Monday
Pierre Cardin Centuare (vintage 1991) - Tuesday
Pierre Cardin Centuare Cuir Blanc (vintage 1996) - Wednesday
Hermes Bel Ami (vintage 1986) - Thursday
Lubin Daimo (vintage 1954) - Friday

Last edited:
I just got a bunch of samples from Garry's Sample Shop, so tonight I tried "The Veg". I used to live on a horse farm, and this stuff smells like horse urine-REALLY!

Merkur 39C
Valobra Mentolado
Semogue 620
Insense AS
Insense EDT

proxy.php

I have a sample of this and really like it, went looking for it and saw conflicting reports on it. Some said discontinued, some said still in production. Do you know which is true? I saw some on Ebay for sale, was going to wait for colder weather to buy a bottle but if it's hard to come by...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom