What's new

Saving money

Everyone talks about saving money by switching to wet shaving with a DE. So far I've noticed that before I could use a $2 blade cartridge for 2 weeks. Now I'm using a $1 a week (Swedes or Feathers) blade. I've switched to a more expensive aftershave. My brush and razor together cost about $70. About the only place I've noticed savings is in soap.

Saving money?! :lol: Read on, you'll quickly figure out that for most gents here it's not about saving money anymore. Sure, that's often the reason to switch to DE and using a shave soap or cream, it was for me. I went for a long time with Williams, an Ever Ready brush and blades, all of which I picked up in the grocery store.

One thing to consider in your comparison of cartridges and DE blades. I'll bet that you didn't do multiple passes with the cartridge, so that is one reason that they lasted longer for you.

Everyone talks about saving money by switching to wet shaving with a DE. So far I've noticed that before I could use a $2 blade cartridge for 2 weeks. Now I'm using a $1 a week (Swedes or Feathers) blade. I've switched to a more expensive aftershave. My brush and razor together cost about $70. About the only place I've noticed savings is in soap.

Yes, I'm enjoying shaving much more than I did before, but what blades are out there that are reasonably cheaper?

BICs and Dorcos were really rough for me. Derby's are okay, but I need 2 a week of those. IPs aren't anything special. Personnas are decent, but are still not dirt cheap (Wal-Mart pack was terrible compared to the Rite-Aid pack, and I tossed them because they were ragged). What are the blade recommendations from here?

The point you are making is absolutely true. And it has been the experience of many guys here. We start out wanting to save money, but we end up spending more on fancier and more high end products. But I'd like to make two points in response:

1) Early on, I too wanted to save money. But more than that I just wanted a good shave, which I was NOT getting with cartridge systems. While early on it was no money saver to buy various DEs, high quality creams, brushes, and aftershaves, and other accessories - I was STILL NOT spending money on the stuff I used to buy. I wasn't shelling out $20.00 for a 4-pack of cartridges, and there was a great satisfaction in that.

2) After the initial obsession in buying equipment and supplies, I relaxed more and focused on technique and the actual shave. And I can honestly say that in the past year I have spent very, very little money on anything shave related. I bought some BRUT aftershave a week ago, but before that I can't recall. I already have a nice store of great aftershaves ranging in $120.00 a bottle right down to 3.00. I have 12 DEs, and 4 good brushes. I have some colognes (although that really is kind of a separate category to "wet shaving", isn't it?), and I also have various other accessories. But I have spent hardly a cent in almost a year.

So, anyway you look at it, traditional DE shaving is a great way to save money.

Is that about a 20 year supply of blades? :001_smile

I may be weird, but I use Red Pack Personnas, Crystals, Derbys, Feathers and Astras. I tend to rotate them and generally try to leave the Feathers for special occasion BBS shaves.

Ok, you can probably cross out the "may be" part from the above paragraph.:biggrin:

There you go...:001_smile

Yes, I'm enjoying shaving much more than I did before, but what blades are out there that are reasonably cheaper?

BICs and Dorcos were really rough for me. Derby's are okay, but I need 2 a week of those. IPs aren't anything special. Personnas are decent, but are still not dirt cheap (Wal-Mart pack was terrible compared to the Rite-Aid pack, and I tossed them because they were ragged). What are the blade recommendations from here?

Like a lot of the other guys I switched to save money. I figure after the initial spending on a razor, brush, soap and my sample pack of blades I still haven't spent much more then If I would have been using Fusion cartridges the whole time. I made the switch early last October. Now, it isn't so much about saving money as enjoying the shave. Its a relaxing part of my day, I enjoy it. I didn't enjoy shaving very much before I switched.
Red Personnas can be had $10 for 100. Thats pretty cheap shaving right there.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Of course this does not include the collection of other razors, brushes, soaps, creams, aftershaves and colognes. But those are just for fun. As you can see my TRUE shaving costs for 6 months (conservative estimate) don't even cover a pack of Mach 3 cartridges. So yes the savings are there.

Now once you factor in all the other various stuff that makes this a hobby, no you will not save money. But it is a whole lotta fun!!

+1

Shaving for shaving, yes using a DE razor and wetshaving is cheaper. Shaving becoming a hobby, than, no.

Everyone talks about saving money by switching to wet shaving with a DE.

What are the blade recommendations from here?

Saving money sounds like it makes sense. However, many of us later learn (after various acquisition disorders) that such is a pipe dream. Nevertheless, DE shaving turned a chore into a worthwhile and enjoyable pursuit. After the ADs die down and you find out what you like and works for you, DE shaving can save money. I think I need to DE shave for another two or three hundred years for me to see any savings.........

Try Wilkenson Swords. They are cheaper than Swedes and Feathers. The Swords are one of my two favorite blades; the other being the Swedes.

absolutely. If you get one good razor, one good brush, and find a reasonably-priced soap you like (for me it is omega) and a good, inexpensive blade (dorco for me), you are set for life. That is all you really need. But if you succumb to the siren call of wanting to try everything...you can spend some bucks for sure.

+1

I'm into wet shaving for about 2 months now, I've blown through easily $200 so far:

two brushes, 3 vintage razors, a Dirty Bird scuttle, a variety of creams, soaps, colognes, balms, oils, blades.

I also do not have a heady beard and a multiblade cartridge razor would last me well over a week. My wife, bless her, only buys on sale so I was shaving pretty darn cheap before.

No regrets though. I like the experience and the results.

I would say this site is more of a hobby...and thus, costs more money in the long run than perhaps if you stuck with the same cartridge and same can of mass produced goo for six months. Half the people on here (I'd actually guess more) spend a ton of money B/S/T their goods over and over. Hence, its more of a passtime site than a "Do anything you can to save money" site IMHO. But hey, welcome anyway!

With that said, Derby's are 15 cents a pop - so 2 a week, and you're at 30 cents. I'm not sure if Derby's quality has gone down recently, but the batch of 1K or so blades I bought 3 or so years ago is simply top notch... they're just barely below Feathers in terms of comfort and lasting edge, and I can easily get a week out of 'em.

I've got some newer Derbys, and while I can't compare to those from 3 years ago, mine certainly seem to match up to Joel's description. They'd be worth checking out if you haven't.

Top Bottom