What's new

Salt!

Didn't see anyone talking about using salt with their coffee grounds. I was turned on to this a few years ago and have been using it ever since.

Just put a pinch of Kosher salt in with your coffee grounds prior to brewing, regardless of the method. It will cut the bitterness, and it really brings out the flavor of the beans. Remember though, if you can taste the salt you put too much in.

Yeah, I saw that episode of Modern Family too. Works in cutting the bitterness of poor quality coffee, but also blocks the appreciation of the coffee flavor a little. Not what I am after in a high quality cup.

Don't remember salt being used, but do remember when the parents got together for a "pta" at our country school in the 40s they put egg shells in the coffee (which was boiled) to settle the grounds. Was too young to drink it then, so don't have any idea how it worked.

Salt to counteract the bitterness is compensation for bitterness.

Good coffee isn't bitter. Do it right, or do it wrong. Don't perpetuate the use of a crutch as a replacement for doing it right, whatever you decide.

:thumbup:

I don't add milk/cream/creamer or sugar to my coffee, I'm certainly not going to try salt!

Don't remember salt being used, but do remember when the parents got together for a "pta" at our country school in the 40s they put egg shells in the coffee (which was boiled) to settle the grounds. Was too young to drink it then, so don't have any idea how it worked.

Talked to Mother tonight and remembered to ask about making coffee in a pot from grounds. She said she doesn't remember anything about salt, but that they broke an egg into the pot and dropped the shell in as well. Theory was it caused the grounds to clump together. I asked her how it turned out; she said it most have been okay because everyone drank it!

If you look at a lot of old recipes, egg whites or egg shell were used frequently to clear a number of different things. The proteins on the egg shells coagulate when dropped in hot liquid. Larger particles have the same charge as the protiens. The egg shells are heavy and sink to the bottom, pulling down all the larger particles (in this case coffee grounds) down with them.

If you look at a lot of old recipes, egg whites or egg shell were used frequently to clear a number of different things. The proteins on the egg shells coagulate when dropped in hot liquid. Larger particles have the same charge as the protiens. The egg shells are heavy and sink to the bottom, pulling down all the larger particles (in this case coffee grounds) down with them.

Yes! Forgot about that! Egg whites are used to clear broths and soups.

Top Bottom