What's new

Safety Razor Acquisition Thread.

And when is an Antique razor "unsafe" to use due to rust? This one seems almost rust free so I'm hoping I can use this one

Today's flea market finds.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 168
Try first, hot water dish and soap, soak for an hour or so. Then scrub with a toothbrush
I soaked the razor in an oxy clean solution for 45 minutes and then I took it out and used a firm toothbrush with dishwashing detergent and I guess that's all it really needs, except for maybe some Brasso or something, it's unbelievable how good of shape this is in, I'll have to post pics once I polish it. There's really no rust except for one small spec on the side frame of head.

Yeah, most of those old razors just need a good cleaning and they're golden. I'm glad to hear it's the case with this one as well. Happy shaving.

Todays antique store finds. And then we stopped at the mall for some shave cream, buy two get one free$uploadfromtaptalk1409445504061.jpg$uploadfromtaptalk1409445504061.jpg

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1409445523680.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1409445523680.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 149
I need a little help. I picked up this razor and case at an antique market today. Can anyone tell me what it is? The case has the Gillette logo on the inside but I can't find anything on the razor or than a number.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 119
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 115
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
I should have worded my first post better. I figured it's an Old but I was curious about dating it and whether or not it's a Gillette due to the lack of markings? The old blade is pretty cool. I hadn't seen one before today.

I should have worded my first post better. I figured it's an Old but I was curious about dating it and whether or not it's a Gillette due to the lack of markings? The old blade is pretty cool. I hadn't seen one before today.

I am not sure, and I think we haven't figured out how to date Canadian razors yet. I might be wrong though. Everything looks right, except for the lack of other marks. Only the Canadian Gillette had the prefix PC. You can PM Porter ( Macdaddy) or Mike ( mblakele). They will know more.

Seems like the lack of other marks is not so strange after all, check this page:

http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Gillette_Canada_Dating_Information

Last edited:
My first razor finds in the wild thanks to a tip from dudesweet157!
Super Adjustable, Otto Roth NEW LC with a narrow handle and some kind of Old type ? Gillette I think, the handle is aluminium and one piece. The ugly white and orange thing is an Avon soap dish, perfect for my Williams!
$haul.jpg

I'm still working on cleaning the soap scum off the SA, here are the others.
$open.jpg$heads.jpg

There is a crack in the NEW's handle but it is still tight enough to shave. The aluminum handled razor has me puzzled. No serial number and it has wear from a larger diameter neck so I figure the handle is a replacement. I like light, short handles so it suits me fine. The Otto Roth's handle is a bit thin for me so I'll pass it on to a friend if he wants it.

We both had our eye on a NEW with a fat Tech handle but I think I'm going to keep it. Not very gentlemanly I know but I LOVE that handle. Sorry C!. It has a bit of plating loss anyway and isn't as pretty.
$fat.jpg

FWIW, here is what I left at the Raleigh Flea Market at the fairgrounds. The other NEW is another Otto Roth and she had $37 on the Slim and $35 on a red tip in another case, pretty much internet prices. The three piece razors were all in the teens and pretty rough.
$box.jpg

Last edited:

It's most definitely a Gillette. That's one of the Pocket Editions that was unique to the Canadian plant. They had at least three different handles that we're aware of: the thin-handled Ball End like you've got there, the True Ball End (first image below), and the Nut End (second image below).

Not having anything marked on them but the serial number is perfectly normal for the earlier ones. We're still pulling together examples to try and see if we can work out how the Canadian serial numbers might line up with dates, and like Edgar said, we've set up a page over on the wiki to do that. Yours is most similar to this other one that Sled Dog found.

If I were just taking a swing at a date based on what we've pieced together so far, I'd say yours might be something like 1913-1915, but that would be a very fuzzy estimate at best.

proxy.php

$nut3_zps9474eee3.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Rod, that wouldn't have been in Fort st. John would it? I was just in a store that a nice man from GP was in a couple weeks ago that bought a tto and was looking for a straight. I immediately thought it was you. Nice score.
Yes Nick, that was me. I am up there about once or twice a month and scour those stores looking for treasure. I passed by that score probably two other times. I did not dig deep enough. What are you doing up there?

Top Bottom