What's new

RSS Feed Readers - Help

Good evening chaps. In a continuing effort to streamline things on these here interwebz I have been trying to consolidate the communications into as few applications as possible.

I have lately been exploring the Google angle. I have a Gmail account but don't do a lot of emailing. I bring this up because the service also supports audio/video chat features(I made another posting last week about Google Talk) and the Google Reader function. I know there is a certain thought process on the web that says "enough Google is enough" sort of thing. Too much information about you in one person or company's hands is probably not a good thing. So I am exploring this but making no commitment to it.

One thing I have never really gotten a hand on is the whole RSS experience. I use it from Firefox via the "Bookmarks Toolbar Folder". I do not activate the toolbar to save screen space. What I do is access if from the Bookmarks menu. It is pretty handy. You can scroll over any feed in the folder or a subfolder and it will give you a headline of sorts. If you like it, you click on it and it takes you to the site to read it. One thing I like about this is that I do NOT get five thousand article headers downloaded to a reader of some sort. I only mention the Google reader since it is available from the Gmail interface with a click. I recently checked it and found it had sort of grabbed onto some of my Badger and Blade RSS feeds. They were about a year old and between them and another subscription, there were 659 article headers to sort through.

What is most aggravating about this is I cannot find a way to delete these old articles from the reader. What a pain. How and why would you EVER want to sort through all that mess? Can you imagine how many headers you would have if every RSS feed from B&B was in there every day? I am probably just too dumb to figure this out but it is the same reason I ditched Opera browser. It grabbed my RSS subscriptions via Import from Firefox and it downloaded THOUSANDS of article headers. I could not make heads or tales of them. I finally deleted them all somehow and uninstalled Opera to boot.

I have searched quite a bit but cannot find a tutorial that really explains how to manage the "read" or old articles in these readers. Just a bit confusing to me really. Thanks for any help.

Regards Todd

I'll have to watch this post somehow. Someone who knows enough about it will tell us both how to watch this post using RSS readers!

I get they are "really super stuff" I just don't get how.

Google Reader has an option to "Mark all as Read" for each feed - either all, or just those older than a day/week/two weeks.
Since the articles are stored on Google's servers, not your computer, you don't need to 'delete' them, just mark them as read.

Chris explained the Google Reader part. Google Reader is the best, in my opinion. I use it to keep track of numerous blogs and websites.

I'll have to watch this post somehow. Someone who knows enough about it will tell us both how to watch this post using RSS readers!

I get they are "really super stuff" I just don't get how.

Since Badger & Blade only has RSS feeds for the main forum and the sub forums, you would have to create the feed yourself. You could use a website like this one. Then just enter it into Google Reader and voila!

Okay guys, I get the "mark as read" option. I did that. So lets say you update the feed. Does it always just keep loading the old headers/headlines as well? I ask because as you scroll to the bottom it says "loading 140 of X number". Then it jumps another twenty and so on. It just keeps loading. Sorry to sound so daft but I really have no experience with these feed readers.

Regards, Todd

Okay guys, I get the "mark as read" option. I did that. So lets say you update the feed. Does it always just keep loading the old headers/headlines as well? I ask because as you scroll to the bottom it says "loading 140 of X number". Then it jumps another twenty and so on. It just keeps loading. Sorry to sound so daft but I really have no experience with these feed readers.

Regards, Todd

You can choose to see all items on Reader- read and unread. That's why it never ends! It keeps stuff for a long time! If you'd choose see only unread items, that makes the interface a lot cleaner.

I'll drop you a PM tomorrow and try to help you sort through it all if you'd like.

Have you thought about getting a separate RSS reader like NetNewsWire. I've been using it for a while and I'm happy with it. When in Safari I click on the RSS icon and I'm automatically taken to NetNewsWire where I confirm the subscription. I can also set how long the programme keeps the headers (in my case 7 days) so I'm not overloaded with news items. In NetNewsWire I can click on any item I want to read fully and a browser is either opened in NetNewsWire or a tab is opened in Safari. I think it's an excellent way to manage the RSS feeds; imagine all that information is a surge of water heading down a pipe at you, the RSS reader serves as a valve allowing you to sip the water and to fully drink a glass when you want to.

Last edited:
Hi RF. That sounds like a very effective way of reading RSS. I was also looking at Feedlooks. It too is a browser based reader that keeps it simple and uses a new/old function to keep old feeds off the main page. We'll see.

Regards, Todd

Top Bottom