What's new

Rooney Style 1 - Question

Jon - I have both the 1/1 in Super and a Stubby Size 1 in Finest. Both are great soap brushes, slightly different badger hair & a significant difference in cost. Can't go wrong with either one

I don't mean to hijack the thread either but I had some questions also. I'm trying to decide on a soap brush as well.
garyg, the super in your pic looks well bloomed but the finest does not to my eyes. My question is does the finest just not bloom as much due to the density or had you not used it yet when taking the picture?
The finest looks better to me but the price of the super will be easier to convince SWMBO.:biggrin:
I'm also looking at the Simpsons. Do you have any thoughts on them?

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I don't mean to hijack the thread either but I had some questions also. I'm trying to decide on a soap brush as well.
garyg, the super in your pic looks well bloomed but the finest does not to my eyes. My question is does the finest just not bloom as much due to the density or had you not used it yet when taking the picture?
The finest looks better to me but the price of the super will be easier to convince SWMBO.:biggrin:
I'm also looking at the Simpsons. Do you have any thoughts on them?

Myboysdad - The 1/1 was purchased slightly used on the BST some months ago and I have used it in rotation for at least 3 months, so it has estimated 40 shaves on it. The Finest arrived here brand new, but had been used 15 or 20 times before I took that picture. It did not bloom right away as others have .. perhaps someone else who has had the Finest for a longer period can comment? Both have 22 mm knots, the 1/1 has 48mm loft while the Finest is 46mm high.

As for the second question, I have zero experience with Simpsons.

Myboysdad - The 1/1 was purchased slightly used on the BST some months ago and I have used it in rotation for at least 3 months, so it has estimated 40 shaves on it. The Finest arrived here brand new, but had been used 15 or 20 times before I took that picture. It did not bloom right away as others have .. perhaps someone else who has had the Finest for a longer period can comment? Both have 22 mm knots, the 1/1 has 48mm loft while the Finest is 46mm high.

As for the second question, I have zero experience with Simpsons.

What about my earlier question?:lol:

I'm assuming you didn't see it, so I'll ask again. Is the Finest vastly superior to the Super?

This is the Rooney 1/2 in Finest. I've only used it 3 times and it's already starting to bloom nicely. It's a great brush and softer then the super.

$Rooney_1:2.jpg

Len

Last edited:

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
What about my earlier question?:lol:

I'm assuming you didn't see it, so I'll ask again. Is the Finest vastly superior to the Super?

See the last post on page one #20 - assuming everyone sees the same # of posts/page .. I did answer sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondesi
Gary,

Would you say that the Finest is vastly superior to the Super?

I won't say "vastly" superior, they are different though. The 1/1 Super is an excellent brush, so "vastly" overstates it, at least from a functional standpoint. Ambrose's description of soft tips & lots of backbone for the Finest is spot-on. Both are excellent with soaps & face lathering for me. Luckily I like small sizes so I can afford more of them to try

See the last post on page one #20 - assuming everyone sees the same # of posts/page .. I did answer sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondesi
Gary,

Would you say that the Finest is vastly superior to the Super?

I won't say "vastly" superior, they are different though. The 1/1 Super is an excellent brush, so "vastly" overstates it, at least from a functional standpoint. Ambrose's description of soft tips & lots of backbone for the Finest is spot-on. Both are excellent with soaps & face lathering for me. Luckily I like small sizes so I can afford more of them to try

Oops. My apologies :redface: Being at the bottom of the page, I just missed it some how. I even went back looking for it

I have the 1/1 in super silvertip and love it. The only drawback for me is the handle which I find to be a tad small. But the knot size/loft is great for soaps and facelathering.

I also have a 2/1 in super silvertip, which I prefer over my 1/1...

I have the 1/1 in super silvertip and love it. The only drawback for me is the handle which I find to be a tad small. But the knot size/loft is great for soaps and facelathering.

I also have a 2/1 in super silvertip, which I prefer over my 1/1...

I have the 1/2 Super. If you'd be interested in trading... PM?

Just to add to the various perspectives ...

The style 1, size 2, Super was my favorite brush for a while but I eventually sold that after getting a 1/1 Super.

I now have a 1/1 and a 3/1, both Super. I prefer the size 1 over the size 2, which is nice because it is less expensive.

For me the size is right and I like the 1/1 handle just a bit more, but it is mostly a toss-up. I do have fairly small hands. Others might find the 3/1 or 2/1 a better fit.

Unfortunately (well, maybe fortunately!) I have no experience with the Finest. The Super is just a tad "scritchier" than some other Silvertips I've had but I never even notice that anymore. Not sure if it is the brush or my face that did the "breaking in" but it doesn't really matter.

EDIT: about being a lather hog. Yes, the size 2 was somewhat of a lather hog but simply loading the brush up with a bit more soap solved that. I do notice the size 1 is less of a lather hog. Probably due to the shorter loft.

Last edited:
Top Bottom