What's new

Rockwell 6S Questions

Wasn't a fan of the 6S/6C that I tried.. Head was bulky and hard to work under nose.

Also had a blade gap issue on both when paired with indian gillete wilkinsons.. IE: blade bias to once side depending on how I cranked down the top plate and handle... No other razor I've used did this with this specific blade.

The Rockwell blades that came with the razor seemed to line up fine, so its likely just isolated to general tolerances of the indian gilletes.

Quality wise.. wasn't exactly impressed with the 6S. There was manufacturing defects/marks on the one I was sent. Chinese 6C version was better anyway subjectively for smoothness since its chrome polished.

I'll admit that it was a smooth shave for me, but I'm not one of these people that typically go for multiple passes. I want to shave and be done with fuss.. I switched from soaps/brush to Cremo in the shower half a year ago.

Use a GC.84 atm. Not sure where to go from there, but it works well for me.

If you’re considering it, buy it now. Rockwell just announced their early Black Friday sale.
I noticed that the Rockwell checkout still allows you to apply offer codes against their Black Friday deals so I dug out an old code I used for an order with them in February (which they helpfully detailed in the previous order email) and got a further 15% discount off a bundle already discounted by 49%.

I noticed that the Rockwell checkout still allows you to apply offer codes against their Black Friday deals so I dug out an old code I used for an order with them in February (which they helpfully detailed in the previous order email) and got a further 15% discount off a bundle already discounted by 49%.
Slick. I didn’t think to look for a coupon code when I purchase my 6S. I’ll have to remember to try that if I pick up a Rex once they go on sale for Black Friday.

The Rockwell 6s is an anomaly of a razor for me. The Rockwell 6s machining is not precise at all compared to other premium razors. In fact, the precision of the 6s is more like a cast zamac razor. The threading of the handle to top cap is very loose and feels very cheap. The finish is also far under premium razors and the blade tabs are significantly exposed. Essentially, it feels very cheaply made compared to premium machined razors. Basically, it looks all the part of a razor machined in China. CHEAP !!!

However, the Rockwell 6s is one of the best shaving razors I have used. This razor feels amazing to shave with on all plates. The shave you get is as good as the most elite premium razors. Every time I load a blade into my Rockwell 6s I look at it and think there is no way I am going to get a premium shave with it. Then I make my first pass and I am always blown away with it's efficiency and comfort. A complete anomaly to me. This razor shaves like a dream on all plates.

The Rockwell 6s is an anomaly of a razor for me. The Rockwell 6s machining is not precise at all compared to other premium razors. In fact, the precision of the 6s is more like a cast zamac razor. The threading of the handle to top cap is very loose and feels very cheap. The finish is also far under premium razors and the blade tabs are significantly exposed. Essentially, it feels very cheaply made compared to premium machined razors. Basically, it looks all the part of a razor machined in China. CHEAP !!!

However, the Rockwell 6s is one of the best shaving razors I have used. This razor feels amazing to shave with on all plates. The shave you get is as good as the most elite premium razors. Every time I load a blade into my Rockwell 6s I look at it and think there is no way I am going to get a premium shave with it. Then I make my first pass and I am always blown away with it's efficiency and comfort. A complete anomaly to me. This razor shaves like a dream on all plates.
Very well written. It's not the sexiest razor alive, though I wouldn't call the haptic cheap.
For sure producing in MIM process is much cheaper than machining it. But I had several rockwell 6s in my hands and never felt any tolerances.
But, after testing many other premium razors, it's the only one to stay here.

I love my 6S, the only "modern" razor I own. No it's not shiny and looks a little clunky but it is very efficient and if your technique is good will give you an excellent shave.

Basically, it looks all the part of a razor machined in China. CHEAP !!!
When I ordered a new Rhodium Revamp 6S from Razor Emporium (and waited a few months for the work and delivery to the UK) the book like presentation case it came in had a Made In China sticker on it. Hopefully the sticker was just describing the case not the razor? I see their website still says the 6S is made in the USA. I sold that razor a while ago (the rhodium plating was patchy, inferior to the rhodium on their Rex Ambassador which I have also now sold) and I just ordered a standard 6S bundle (to compare and with a view to replacing my gunmetal chrome one) so when that arrives it will be interesting to see if it also has a Made In China sticker on the case.
PS if anyone is still to order from Rockwell the checkout code I used in Feb and again yesterday to get an extra 15% off the Black Friday deal was BARBA15 - it seems to be generally known on the internet. I'm still praying for the dispatch email as it was a nearly 57% discount overall and that extra discount helped towards the UK shipping.

Feel the same way about build quality, but I ultimately sent my copies back due to blade gap with indian wilkinsons.

The price of the 6S doesn't make sense when you look at a market full of alternative options.

I could certainly recommend the 6C if you can grab it cheap.. Was a subjectively smoother experience without noticeable manufacturing defects on plates.

PS: Rockwell support ensured me the 6S it was made in USA.

The 6C (China) is generally more consistent without visual defects, at least from the two copies I tried..Ironic.

Last edited:
Love its weight, its undestructible, beefy appearance and raw finish. But it has some difficulties shaving directly under the nose and the philtrum has to be reworked with a straight, too. All this has nothing to do with its bulkiness as the problems for me are the same with a Feather AS-D2.

The R6S is a tool not a beauty.

Crikey my early Black Friday order with Rockwell has already arrived at my house in the UK from Canada. That's pretty amazing for standard DHL shipping. No made in China sticker on the 6S case this time. I guess they peel them off.

I received my 6S this week and it does feel smoother than my Gillette C King and Merkur 34C. I do still get weepers with it though despite preshave and thorough lathering. I think I need to knock it down from setting 4 to 3 and give that a go. I only have two shaves with it at this point so I’ll do better with it over the coming days.

In terms of changing plates mid-shave, I can get a very acceptable shave after two passes on setting 4 but am too lazy to change plates for a third, and less aggressive, pass. I do wish it were a true adjustable with a dial as I would be more likely to play around with settings between passes for a more optimal shave. I would certainly dial it down for my neck where I get most weepers. I know that I’m describing what would be a T2 but I’ve avoided it because those who own both models consistently prefer the 6S. It’s “smoother”, they say.

I do have one quibble other than the inconvenience of changing plates. The handle and the top cap do not thread together easily on mine and this seems to be a fairly common problem with their razors. Fortunately, Rockwell has been very responsive and has suggested they’ll replace parts if need be (following submission of pics). They also accept returns if purchased directly through them.

Unlike you, I actually like the utilitarian matte appearance. I experience no “drag” from it.

I received my 6S this week and it does feel smoother than my Gillette C King and Merkur 34C. I do still get weepers with it though despite preshave and thorough lathering. I think I need to knock it down from setting 4 to 3 and give that a go. I only have two shaves with it at this point so I’ll do better with it over the coming days.

In terms of changing plates mid-shave, I can get a very acceptable shave after two passes on setting 4 but am too lazy to change plates for a third, and less aggressive, pass. I do wish it were a true adjustable with a dial as I would be more likely to play around with settings between passes for a more optimal shave. I would certainly dial it down for my neck where I get most weepers. I know that I’m describing what would be a T2 but I’ve avoided it because those who own both models consistently prefer the 6S. It’s “smoother”, they say.

I do have one quibble other than the inconvenience of changing plates. The handle and the top cap do not thread together easily on mine and this seems to be a fairly common problem with their razors. Fortunately, Rockwell has been very responsive and has suggested they’ll replace parts if need be (following submission of pics). They also accept returns if purchased directly through them.

Unlike you, I actually like the utilitarian matte appearance. I experience no “drag” from it.

If you have an indian gillette wilkinson, id love to know if they fixed the gap issue bias. Can easily be seen on plate 1.

This was the only razor that had an issue for me.

If you have an indian gillette wilkinson, id love to know if they fixed the gap issue bias. Can easily be seen on plate 1.

This was the only razor that had an issue for me.
IMG_8108.jpeg

IMG_8107.jpeg

IMG_8106.jpeg

IMG_8105.jpeg

I only ever use plate 3. I like, but don't love the razor. As someone said, under the nose, it's clunky. On the tip of the chin, it's weight undermines the delicate feel required for that area. When I use it I consiously try and hold back the weight of the razor as a practice technique, but in all honesty, that's fighting with the razor. The planes of the face and neck, it does a good job.

I got one because of all the hype and being made in the USA.
Tried to like it, gave it every benefit of the doubt.
I guess the “smoothness “ comes from being so inefficient.
I don’t like it, never use it.
Overrated in my opinion.

Hmm.. normal German Wilkinson? or Chinese version? Indian looks diff, at least mine. Same gap issue regardless :(

Can be fixed by moving the blade around before twisting down, but shouldn't really happen on a $100+ USD Razor, even if it's a tolerance issue on the blade itself.. None of my other Razors do this.

The Rockwell blades that come with the Razor are more "secure" on the post and and less subject to it, at least when I tested 3 different samples of 6C/6S.

It prob wont impact most people.. but Im pretty OCD about it, especially due to price point.

Last edited:
Hmm.. normal German Wilkinson? or Chinese version? Indian looks diff, at least mine. Same gap issue regardless :(

Can be fixed by moving the blade around before twisting down, but shouldn't really happen on a $100+ USD Razor, even if it's a tolerance issue on the blade itself.. None of my other Razors do this.

The Rockwell blades that come with the Razor are more "secure" on the post and and less subject to it, at least when I tested 3 different samples of 6C/6S.

It prob wont impact most people.. but Im pretty OCD about it, especially due to price point.
I don’t know where the blade was manufactured. I’m not seeing any alignment issue.

I really wish you hadn't mentioned the T2 as it's tempting me to place another Rockwell order!
It's been an expensive month for me buying the 6S bundle, the new Exec Shaving Outlaw (Alpha Evolution), a Rockwell SuperSlant L2 and a Feather AS-D2 although only half of them were in new condition. I have owned the Feather before but this one is much nicer condition. I've sold a few this month but mostly low-end Chrome stuff like the 37C. I just have to sell my 2C and then my modern collection will be entirely stainless. I also currently own a PAA Meta-4 and EJ 3one6.
I am starting to question if I really need to keep my vintage Gillette President, Slim Adjustable and Superspeed as I rarely use them and am not a museum. Still they are shiny and I like looking at them...
Of all the razors I currently own it would probably be the Outlaw that I would sell first to raise money for the T2 but then I don't feel I have owned the Outlaw long enough to get to know it well enough. But the offer for the stainless T2 bundle is a really good price....

I really wish you hadn't mentioned the T2 as it's tempting me to place another Rockwell order!
It's been an expensive month for me buying the 6S bundle, the new Exec Shaving Outlaw (Alpha Evolution), a Rockwell SuperSlant L2 and a Feather AS-D2 although only half of them were in new condition. I have owned the Feather before but this one is much nicer condition. I've sold a few this month but mostly low-end Chrome stuff like the 37C. I just have to sell my 2C and then my modern collection will be entirely stainless. I also currently own a PAA Meta-4 and EJ 3one6.
I am starting to question if I really need to keep my vintage Gillette President, Slim Adjustable and Superspeed as I rarely use them and am not a museum. Still they are shiny and I like looking at them...
Of all the razors I currently own it would probably be the Outlaw that I would sell first to raise money for the T2 but then I don't feel I have owned the Outlaw long enough to get to know it well enough. But the offer for the stainless T2 bundle is a really good price....
You could always buy the T2 just to try it out. Return the one you like less. I believe Rockwell has a 60 day money back guarantee but it may only apply if you purchase directly through them.

Top Bottom