What's new

Removing Pomade

I recently began using Murrays Pomade on a regular basis and I really like the product. However, getting it out of my hair was quite a chore. I tried shampooing several times to no avail, then I tried using Dawn detergent which removed a lot of it but not all. Then, purely by accident, I figured it out!!! Groom & Clean. That's right, Groom & Clean. After washing with the detergent, I got out of the shower & instead of the pomade I normally use, I pulled out an old tube of groom & clean went along combing my hair. That night I hopped back into the shower to try to wash out the remainder of the Murray's that was coating my hair just that morning & to my suprise the Murray's washed out with the groom & clean as if it wasn't even there. I don't know why it worked, but it did. So, for those of you out there that enjoy using Pomade like Murrays, Black & White, Royal Crown, etc... but want to wash it out at night, this is the trick to do it!

my first thought was, what's in that stuff because it won't wash out. So I googled it and found this.

"To remove the product I use a cream hand cleaner, without pumice, that can be found at any automotive store or retailer who sells automotive products. Use the hand cleaner as per the instructions. DO NOT WET HAIR BEFORE APPLYING. Hand cleaners are only affective when used on dry hands or hair. Apply the hand cleaner before you get in the shower and follow with a good shampooing to remove. Pumice hand cleaners work best to remove the product from the skin. Hand cleaner is the quickest and cheapest way to remove Murray's."

or one person suggested washing your hair with coke helps.

just in case you wanted another option....

ahhhh found what I was looking for, which explains why it's so hard to remove.
Ingredients
Petrolatum , Mineral Oil , Fragrance

But glad you found something to wash it out.

Wow! I can't imagine using GOJO or ZEP in my hair! The solvents used in those products are no joke. If anyone is going to try that route please proceed with extreme caution. But thank you Krissy for providing an alternative.

Wow! I can't imagine using GOJO or ZEP in my hair! The solvents used in those products are no joke. If anyone is going to try that route please proceed with extreme caution. But thank you Krissy for providing an alternative.

:lol:

BAAAAHH! What is good enough for my tool box is good enough for my hair!

Well the ingredients in the pomade require aggressive removal treatments. Personally I can't even imagine putting that in my hair. But that's me, and I don't have those hair issues either. Guess regular old hair gel doesn't work for some.

Petrolatum , Mineral Oil , Fragrance........ well that would be like scented super thick Vaseline wouldn't it? And considering dawn wouldn't touch it that's some bad.... a** stuff.

Heck didn't they use dawn to get crude out out of the local critters when the Exon Valdez had their little accident in Alaska? And my dad use to work for an oil company and crude oil is thicker than shoe polish. He brought some home one time so we could see it.

ok no offense, not trying to bash your favorite hair stuff, but that is some thick stuff, but glad it's working for your hair. But are there no other alternatives you can think of?

Wasn't a personal attack, Krissy. Just a word of warning to those about to put GOJO in their hair from a man who sold the stuff for 11 years. Nothing more or less.

I recently began using Murrays Pomade on a regular basis and I really like the product. However, getting it out of my hair was quite a chore. I tried shampooing several times to no avail, then I tried using Dawn detergent which removed a lot of it but not all. Then, purely by accident, I figured it out!!! Groom & Clean. That's right, Groom & Clean. After washing with the detergent, I got out of the shower & instead of the pomade I normally use, I pulled out an old tube of groom & clean went along combing my hair. That night I hopped back into the shower to try to wash out the remainder of the Murray's that was coating my hair just that morning & to my suprise the Murray's washed out with the groom & clean as if it wasn't even there. I don't know why it worked, but it did. So, for those of you out there that enjoy using Pomade like Murrays, Black & White, Royal Crown, etc... but want to wash it out at night, this is the trick to do it!

Good tip. I am amazed that anything gets Murrays out easily, or at all. Not that I do not love the stuff.

Axe, of all companies, is now marketing a whole line of various shampoos supposedly designed for all sorts of special purposes. One of them is a "de-glue" shampoo with granules in it something like a face scrub. I am not saying it does anything like what you say Groom and Clean does, but actually seems to do a much better than average job with things with Murrays in my experience.

Last edited:
sounds like coke might be a better option. Not sure what the ingredients are in the Groom & Clean or the gojo. But gojo does work as an awesome stain remover for clothes. When my kids were small i used it all the time to pretreat stains.

Ingredients on the groom and clean,
Water (Aqua), Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), PEG-20 Hydrogenated Lanolin, Oleth-2, Glycerin, PEG-12, Dipropylene Glycol, PEG-75, Fragrance (Parfum), Cetrimonium Chloride, Propylene Glycol, FD&C Blue No. 1 (CI 42090).

however the PEG-20 Hydrogenated Lanolin could be a slight concern. The PEG-20 Hydrogenated (the two words together) raises a red flag for me even before looking it up.
http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/in...refurl=/product.php?prod_id=20744&&nothanks=1
you may want to use the link on the other ingredients before deciding if this is a good product to use on a regular basis.

this is the link where i got the removal tips from,
http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=100707&id=prod8275

One person also posted "***PLEASE NOTE!!*** EXTREMELY DIFFICULT to get out of your hair! Use some vegetable oil while you're in the shower, and brush!!!! Just letting you guys know that!" I wondered how that would work because of the petroleum in the pomade. After reading that now i see why the groom and clean also works. It also has a high oil content of more mineral oil. So vegetable oil may also work. Then wash your hair to get the oil out perhaps.

Just an idea.....

Now if coke works i'm guessing it's the acid in it, what about white or apple cider vinegar?

Now pass me a cold coke ..... to drink.....

ok now for a serious question, what does the pomade do for you that no other hair care product does? I'm guessing you tried the gels and mousses and whatnots?

ok now for a serious question, what does the pomade do for you that no other hair care product does? I'm guessing you tried the gels and mousses and whatnots?

A gel or mousse does not style your hair the way a pomade does. Pomade never truly dries, so it leaves the hair looking slick while giving it a thick hold that is impossible to receive from gel, mouse or hairspray without a large degree of drying. If you wear a pompadour like me, it is an essential styling tool.

As far as Murray's, here's two suggestions. Try a thinner grade of pomade like Dax or switch to a stronger shampoo, or both. It's possible you're using too much, too. I personally use Gillette 2-in-1 shampoo/conditioner and it removes the Dax in one rinse.

actually the best product to get murrys out is dawn dish soap cause it desolves the oil and grease, but it can be bad on the hair so use good shampoo after and conditioner

<what does the pomade do for you that no other hair care product does? I'm guessing you tried the gels and mousses and whatnots?>

I do not have a pomp. I can see how pomades are really useful for a pomp. My hair is somewhat curly, but not all that curly. I just find a little bit of Murray's holds my hair tenaciously without being obtrusive or overly stiff, and adds a nice bit of shine and keeps down the frizzes. Gels, mousses, and whatnots either seem weak on the holding power or overly stiffening, without helping a little with a healthy looking shine. They do seem generally drying. Many of these pomades--such as Royal Crown--seem pretty greasy to me, and the ones that wash out easily do not seem to hold as well as Murray's, but I have tried most all of them and they each have their charms.

I probably am using much less Murray's than many people that use it. I either do not have so much trouble washing it out of my hair because my application is rather thin. Or much of it is staying in my hair, but I do not really care.

I am very much a newcomer to Murray's, but I really like and wish I had found it much earlier.

Groom and Clean is a nice find, too, by the way. It does not have the holding power of Murray's and I find the application is rather heavy. But is pleasant stuff that gives a nice look and really makes one's hair feel clean for some reason. Definitely does not seem drying and definitely not stiff.

ok don't laugh but I had to google to find out what a "pompadour" hair style was.... found a video on youtube...... and I can see exactly why it's usefull now to hold that style. I think i have an uncle who uses it or at least looks like he might.

I use Murray's as well. However, I have very short hair (military cut) so I only need a tiny bit to keep the few strays down. I don't have any real issues washing it out, but I suspect it is because I don't need much product. I definitely prefer Pomade over any gel, mouse, hair spray etc.

I use Goop handcleaner to get the Murray's out of my hair. You can find it in the laundry section of the grocery store(at least around here). I only use this before going to the barber to get it all out and then follow up with an olive oil shampoo found in the "ethnic hair care" section. The olive oil breaks down the remaining pomade pretty well.

The Goop I put in my hair dry and let sit for about 20-30 minutes and then wash out.

I have heard from others that the above mentioned shampoo works really well if you do 2 washings with it, but I suppose that depends on how much pomade you have in.
Also heard that using a ton of conditioner helps remove pomade.

you guys should try a water-based pomade like baxters. it's water-soluble, so it washes out with no hassle.

I have tried virtually every reasonably priced pomade I have come across, and there are a bunch. But my experience is that the water soluble ones do not have nearly the holding strength of, say, a Murray's. Also, for me, using just a little Murray's, it does not tend to rub off on things like the backs of chairs. The water soluble pomades, to the extent they stay soft/wet on the hair, seem prone to rub off on things, and seem unpleasent to the touch. Maybe some of them dry and get stiffer, but that takes away the shiny, soft quality of pomades.

The water soluble ones sure do wash out easily though. No doubt about that.

I didn't read the entire thread, but when I used pomade a few years ago my hairdresser told me about using baking soda. Mix in about a dime-sized amount with your shampoo and wash normally. Took the pomade and the leftover sticky feeling right out. Give it a try!

Top Bottom