What's new

Reliable Modern Pen

Using a twisbi is like hitting yourself in the head with a hammer.... It feels so good when you stop

I like my TWSBIs. They all write pretty smoothly and I've had no problems with them at all (knock wood). I've had more issues with a Visconti Rembrandt that refuses to write and two Nemosines that are flat out garbage. The TWSBIs have chugged along without an issue and have become my workhorse pens.

And yet, a suitable suggesting is lacking on your part.
Pilot metropolitan
Kawecos
parker 45's

need I go on... all less then your twisbi's and twice the pens

and don't forget a Faber Castell basic.

Last edited:
My TWIBI 580-AL, with a Pendleton Brown nib, is a great pen. I've seen none of the issues reported in earlier TWISBI offerings. That said, I always have a Parker 51 inked and working. My Lamy 2000, also with a PB nib, cuts this dichotomy somewhat down the middle. What can I say, I'm conflicted.

I want to thank you all for the suggestion of getting inks. I bought several different inks from Noodler and Private Reserve today and have played with half a dozen pens. The Noodler Polar Black has made me quite happy with a Pilot, an old Waterman, and two Chinese pens. The Diplomat and the Pelikan are still too grayish even with the Polar Black so it does seem as if the nibs need to be adjusted to be a bit wetter. Or else I could use them for more ordinary papers that might feather with wetter flows.

I may start breaking out the older Sheaffers and Parkers.

The title of the thread caught my attention and I wanted to recommend the Sheaffer 300 as a reliable modern pen. A work horse pen. I am currently on my third pen and have abused and beat up the previous two beyond recognition. Over the last few years I have dropped them off of cell towers, banged them into concrete abutments, dropped them down manholes, and generally seemed to go out of my way to destroy them. The death keel of the two previous pens was direct damage to the nibs from dropping them due to hazardous footing. With medium nibs they provide a line that meets all my writing needs in a pen that has plenty of weight and heft to allow me to complete forms and reports with a minimum of hand fatigue. I see fountain pens as a daily tool I am comfortable with using and not a luxury item with no place in our everyday activities.

Folks ask me why I carry a fountain pen and like most of us the reason I do things is somewhat convoluted. My Mom was a 5th grade teacher, Dad was a coach, during a time when penmanship had a value in the school systems. I learned to write with a fountain pen and like a lot of children of teachers in the 50's and 60's I spent a lot of time at the kitchen table helping Mom and Dad grade papers in the evenings with a fountain pen. Never really bought into the ballpoint tend and have been writing with a fountain pen all my life.

If I had to choose a single pen right now, it would be a Parker Sonnet.

Yes, I know that they have a reputation of drying out when not in use, and that there are many fakes out there. But the three that I have (a "flighter", a cisele, and a gilded LE) perform flawlessly, have a great nib, and have the ideal size and balance for me.

As always, YMMV!

+1. I have one in my pocket today! Great modern pen IMO.

Top Bottom