What's new

Red Wings Iron Ranger boots?

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
The Iron Rangers got plenty of wear over this past holiday season. Looking forward to giving them a really good "break-in" this year.

One of my New Year's resolutions is to pay cash for most items when able. For things like this (things I WANT but don't necessarily NEED), I've resolved to wait at least 2 weeks to see if the impulse passes as I drop cash into an envelope and lock it away in my gun safe where I don't waste it away. Every time I drop cash into the envelope, it's an opportunity to rethink whether I want or need something. Using a debit card for things like this makes it too easy to cave to the impulse.

Well, the impluse has not passed and the rationale for purchase has grown stronger. I've been socking away $20 here, $50 there, etc for about 2 weeks and have the purchase price plus tax ready to go. I have a couple of Red Wing shops around my area that I can visit to get the right fit. I know I could get them cheaper online or perhaps Norstroms, but another of my resolutions for the year is to shop locally at small family owned retailers and franchises rather than places like Wal Mart, Home Depot, and Lowes (or Amazon, Zappos, etc for the huge online retailers) as much as possible. They also fit the criteria for a resolution I made last year that I've been relatively successful in keeping--spend more on quality and longevity rather than spending less to save money by buying a lesser quality item.

I'll circle back when I've got them on my feet.

Cheers!

Last edited:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
One of my New Year's resolutions is to pay cash for most items when able. For things like this (things I WANT but don't necessarily NEED), I've resolved to wait at least 2 weeks to see if the impulse passes as I drop cash into an envelope and lock it away in gun safe where I don't waste it away. Every time I drop cash into the envelope, it's an opportunity to rethink whether I want or need something. Using a debit card for things like this makes it too easy to cave to the impulse.

Well, the impluse has not passed and the rationale for purchase has grown stronger. I've been socking away $20 here, $50 there, etc for about 2 weeks and have the purchase price plus tax ready to go. I have a couple of Red Wing shops around my area that I can visit to get the right fit. I know I could get them cheaper online or perhaps Norstroms, but another of my resolutions for the year is to shop locally at small family owned retailers and franchises rather than places like Wal Mart, Home Depot, and Lowes (or Amazon, Zappos, etc for the huge online retailers) as much as possible. They also fit the criteria for a resolution I made last year that I've been relatively successful in keeping--spend more on quality and longevity rather than spending less to save money by buying a lesser quality item.

I'll circle back when I've got them on my feet.

Cheers!

Sounds like a great idea. I have been doing something similar wherein I stave off the initial impulse on items and then wait and see which ones stay on mind and which ones have gone by the wayside.

I'm new to this site but since I've joined I've got a Feather Artist razor and now the Iron Ranger boots. You guys are costing me so much money :001_tt2: but I feel so much manlier. Next thing you know I'll be eating iron nails without milk :ohmy:... JK, seriously thanks for the recommendations, so far you guys haven't steered me wrong.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I've been wearing mine every day since I got them mid October. I did have to stop in the Red Wing store and pick up a new pair of laces, the core was coming out through the weave on one of the original laces. I actually like the new pair better, they are somewhat elastic, and more comfortable than the original pair, and they keep a knot better too.

Ahh great now I want a pair of IR's. Luckily there's a few Red Wing stores locally so I think I'll be going to check them out tomorrow. Just a little worried about the performance of the sole in inclimate weather. Don't want to be sliding all over the place.

I should be going to make the purchase today. My local Red Wing stores all tell me they'll take my measurements and order the boots. Question-do i try the half-size down from what they size me, or does their sizing take that into account?

Bought mine a couple months ago at a Red Wing store close to my office. Originally got 11D because they didn't have any other widths in stock. Wore them around the house for a bit and decided to swap them for 10.5 EE. They ordered them for me and they came in about 10 days or so. Swapped them out at the store, no problem. So glad I did. Break in hasn't been too bad and I've been enjoying them a lot. Bottoms get a bit hard after walking around the city all day so I think I'm going to grab a pair of insoles. I got a $10 coupon emailed to me after my purchase so I plan on using that. So far so good!

Ben

Commander Quan

I should be going to make the purchase today. My local Red Wing stores all tell me they'll take my measurements and order the boots. Question-do i try the half-size down from what they size me, or does their sizing take that into account?

I would order the size down from what you usually ware, but make sure they will exchange them for a larger pair if you don't like them. I normally wear a 13 but tried the 12s on in the store, and took them home. I was hesitant at first even after a couple of weeks of wear I though maybe I should have just gone for the 13s but once they broke in they have conformed to my foot and now I feel the 13s would have been too big.

I went to a local Red Wing store this afternoon and purchased a pair. They electronically sized my feet to a 10EE and I placed the order. They'll be ready for delivery in about 10 days. They assured me that if the fit was off, they'll take care of it and order the correct size after I try these others on upon delivery.$274.99, less the 20% discount another RW store offered me to purchase at their location, and I was out the door for $234 with tax. Not bad for a RW brick and mortar store. Now, to wait out a very slow 10 day delivery period...Cheers!!

Last edited:
Ahh great now I want a pair of IR's. Luckily there's a few Red Wing stores locally so I think I'll be going to check them out tomorrow. Just a little worried about the performance of the sole in inclimate weather. Don't want to be sliding all over the place.
Surprisingly the soles aren't too bad in bad weather, at least in my experience. They grip better than expected for a sole with such little tread. I've worn mine around in packed snow, wet sidewalks without much issue.

just reporting that I received my iron ranger boots and they're an awesome fit. I normally wear a 10-10.5 so I ordered a 9.5 and they're perfect fit. It's like they were molded for my foot.

I have owned a pair of these for around three months now, couldn't be happier with a pair of shoes. Very comfortable and I love the style. I normally wear a size 11 and a 10.5 fit me perfectly. I never thought I would spend 300 bucks on a pair of boots, but if these wear out I will be getting another pair.

Commander Quan

I went out and shoveled the steps and sidewalk before leaving for work this morning, and I and I can unequivocally proclaim that these boots are not good on snow or ice. Multiple times over the course of 10 minutes I was doing the Oh **** Shuffle, trying to not crack my skull open.

I went out and shoveled the steps and sidewalk before leaving for work this morning, and I and I can unequivocally proclaim that these boots are not good on snow or ice. Multiple times over the course of 10 minutes I was doing the Oh **** Shuffle, trying to not crack my skull open.

As I wait for mine to be delivered here in the DFW area, I'm thinking I'll only have to worry about this predicament once every other year or so. I already have boots to deal with those days...

CommanderQuan, stay alert! Stay alive! Watch your step lest you crack your skull, or worse, scuff those Iron Rangers!!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

Living in a land of ice and snow, I have found that Vibram "Gumlite" soles are great for that sort of stuff.

Commander Quan

I have a pair of Sorel's that I normally wear for that kind of stuff, but it was only a few inches and I was in a hurry, so I didn't want to have to change my shoes after shoveling the front sidewalk and the sidewalk out the the garage. I think the Iron Rangers will be reserved for non snow days, and the Docs will come back out for the white stuff.

Well, today was the big day. I got the call from my Red Wing brick and mortar store that my Iron Rangers had arrived. I was worried that I would have to send them back for a half size smaller based on all the feedback here and in other forums I frequent. When I ordered them about 10 days ago, I was sized electronically to be a 10 EE, and I go a little larger than that in sneakers, and about that in dress shoes. I wasn't prepared to pick them up today, so was wearing dress socks. I slipped a pair of their "try on" boot socks over my dress socks, and then laced up the boots.

Lucky me--they fit perfectly out of the box!! The break was just behind the toe-cap, there isn't any sliding in the heel, and the width is just right. The ball of my foot hits the perfect spot of the boot. Final detail-the online pictures don't do the color of the boot justice. They really look good, but then again, I don't think I would have plunked the money down if they didn't.

They are pretty comfortable right now after only wearing them for an hour or so. The true test will be wearing them at the office tomorrow with some khaki's. I'll throw my Clarks in the car just in case...

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I'm gonna love these boots.

Cheers!!

Addendum: They were fine on a dog walk tonight. I logged about a mile in them only two hours after picking them up. Much more comfortable than I expected. No comfort issues whatsover. I do need to get a little more flex in the sole, but that will come. Right now, the lack of flex in the new boots make me feel like my stride is about a foot longer than normal.

Last edited:
Top Bottom