What's new

Red Wings Iron Ranger boots?

Available in September. The Brogue Rangers.
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I am not sure I like those, seems like the styles are mixed up a bit. I do like the dark eyelets but would miss the quick cleats or whatever they're called.

I've seen those discussed in some other forums, and the consensus is mixed. Personally, I like the looks of the leather (appears to more like the GT), but the wingtip-style toe-cap looks like an add-on rather than part of the boot to me. No doubt they are nice boots, but not my preference.

The brown ones look like the boots Indiana Jones would wear ; )

I think the Alden wearers out there might me offended. :001_tt2:

I really want a pair of these, but they're only available at select Nordstrom stores. My 877's are my most comfortable boot, and this is basically a round toe version of that.
proxy.php

Red Wing's sizing is so variable I'd really like to try them on first...or at least read some feedback on sizing. The Irish Setter boot is true to size (I wear a 10E and bought a 10 wide) but my Gentleman Traveler's and Rangers are both 9D. If you can get over the looks of those soles, they are amazingly comfortable.

Well, I wanted to give an update on the break in period. As noted in some of my other recent posts, I picked up my boots Tuesday evening (1/17/12). They were worn that night on a dog walk, and then all day Wednesday and Thursday at the office (we have a casual dress code, and they looked great with khaki's or navy twill pants).

I was not looking forward to the break in period based on what I've read here and other places. Suprisingly, like so many other things, the fear of the unknown is worse than the event itself. These boots were comfortable out of the box. Sure, they were a little stiff, and I could certainly tell I was wearing new boots made with thick, quality leather and durable soles, but no issues. I wore hiking socks the first day, and then just normal Hanes crew socks yesterday. Once the soles started flexing a little easier, they've been fantastic. No hot spots, blisters, or sore feet at all, and they were worn non stop the first couple of day. I haven't yet treated them with RW boot oil (need to pick some up), mink oil, or any other care product. I've brushed off any dust at the end of the day, and that's it. I actually received my free laces in the mail on the same day I picked up the boots-that's a nice service that Red Wing offers. I am heading to Cabelas in Fort Worth today to help my father shop for a new gun safe, and may pick up some Obenauf's LP while I'm there.

Often times, shoes or boots like these will squeak or pop when breaking them in as they flex, stretch, and move for the first time. None of that here. All in all, a great looking, quality product that should last me years. I was actually joking with a friend of mine that I'm at the point of my life where some of the items I'm purchasing now may outlive me with proper care. These may be one of them.

Cheers!

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
I was actually joking with a friend of mine that I'm at the point of my life where some of the items I'm purchasing now may outlive me with proper care. These may be one of them.Cheers!
Very true. A purchase of a pair of very good shoes or durable piece of clothing can now be viewed as purchasing heirlooms. Hmmm... Who gets the Alden shoe collection? :biggrin:

Last edited:
Well, time for a one-week break-in and comfort report.

As I indicated in a recent post, I've found these to be very comfortable right out of the box. I know a lot of that has to do with nailing the proper size right off the bat (10EE). A week in, and the sole is flexible, the leather moves in the right places, the break between the laces and the toe-cap is perfect, and I couldn't be happier with my purchase. I typically lace them to the second speed-hook, leaving the top speed hooks open.

After a week of daily wear, I decided to apply some mink-oil. I've yet to pick up any Obenauf's LP or Red Wing boot oil. It did darken the leather somewhat, but they're still looking good.

Here are some crappy iPhone pics. Please excuse my messy workbench...

Cheers!

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I was just thumbing through my most recent Men's Journal magazine looking at the items listed in their feature "The New Essentials-50 Things Every Man Should Own". Lo and behold, included among the 50 items was the Red Wing Iron Ranger boot! Then again, most of us already knew it was an essential item to own...

Page 86 of the March 2012 issue

Cheers!

Wore mine tonight, and every night I leave the house in anything but track pants (and the track pants rarely make an appearance). They look good with everything. I don't see me buying another pair of shoes for a very long time, except uniform shoes/boots or exercise shoes.

I have these and the rough and tough 6 inch moc... Love red wing!!!! . My friends all thought I was crazy to buy the boots.... Good to see there are 10 pages worth of ppl who are as "crazy"/classy as I am!!!

Iron Rangers Long-Term Review

As of right now, I've owned and worn my Iron Rangers an average of four days a week for a little over a year. Frankly, I'll find ANY excuse to dress up a little more just to put them on; no regrets with my purchase, whatsoever. Still yet, the more I wear them, the more comfortable they get.

That said, however, the sole on my right foot is wearing slightly unevenly. Mind you, this is my own foot physiology causing this, so it doesn't have any impact on the build quality of these very well-made boots. Even then, I still haven't seen much need to use any extra support aside from the factory leather insoles. I've taken some really long walks in these and they stand up to the test in spades. I also recant my previous post regarding slip-resistance. Yes, they do get a little slippery; maybe not the best idea for footwear if you're walking in icy or similar conditions.

All things considered, these boots are still worth every dollar. Compliments galore; can't seem to go anywhere without someone commenting on how much they like them and where they can get a pair. They seem like they'll last for years and years with a resoling every few; exactly what I was looking for in a good pair of boots. I prefer these to my Beckhams, but I still love both. Absolutely would buy any other similar US Made model from Red Wing. The problem with that is...I really don't think I need to!

For those reading this thread and still don't have a pair, do it. You won't regret them. I'll reiterate sizing a bit smaller than you normally would. I wear a full size larger in other brands than I do in these. The leather does break in very nicely, and if you size them properly, they fit like a glove after that.

Resistance is futile. Do it now.

I picked up a pair of these about a week ago after first trying some Frye harness boots that I just could not make fit right. I am totally loving the Red Wings! I put some Obenaufs leather oil on a day or so ago, definitely darkened them some but they still look awesome. I have some Obenaufs LP on the way for extra protection.

The boots themselves feel overall extremely comfortable and I would say they are mostly broken in. I am still debating on adding some insoles, as the bottoms of my feet are really the only parts complaining still. I like the idea of having the hard leather insoles custom molded for me, but not sure I want to wait and having some more arch support would be nice.

Don't know how to post this pic, so I will try this. This is one way to go. Made in the USA

[url]http://www.nicksboots.com/specialorder.asp?myItem=55R+8+inch+Ranger&myImage=55RRANGE200.jpg&myTxt=
Nicks+Ranger+is+stocked+in+a+8+inch+smooth+walnut+brown+color%2C+with+a+(430)+Mini+Vibram+sole+and+is+shown+in+Toe+No.+3+with+an+8+inch+top. If+your+day+consists+of+tough%2C+demanding+work%2C+the+Ranger+is+your+ticket+to+incredible+support+and+comfort.++Perfect+for+farming%2C+ranching+or+all+around+warehouse+stomping%2C+the+Mini+Vibram+sole+will+have+you+whistling+all+day.++ Completely+hand+made%2C+these+boots+will+out+last+any+machine+made+boots%2C+hands+down.++And+they+are+completely+rebuildable+for+even+more+years+of+service![/URL]

Last edited:

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Goofy? Clown shoes? Butt ugly?

Lemme try:
Although many of you enjoy the Iron Ranger boot, I prefer (name the boot of your preference here). :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Top Bottom