What's new

Recommendation to Replace DE89

Considerations if you like the de89 and don't want an unknown quantity:

1) The Muhle r89 head is available seperately and identical to the de89 head except that it has a brass thread. It will be more durable than the de89 thread.
2) As you also need a handle, a cheap stainless handle will pair nicely with the r89 head and the extra weight just nudges up the aggression slightly. I have many razors. The r89 head on a stainless handle is still a staple in my den.

If you don't want to spend too much, you can get a Maggard V3 head (copy of the de89) on one of their own-brand stainless handles for just $25. That's value.
I bought an R89 head and paired it with a West Coast Shaving 78S handle. As mentioned it bumped the aggression up a small, but noticeable amount while maintaining that famous R89 smoothness. This combo can hang with any other razor I own.

Thought that I had replied here, but I went ahead and purchased an R89. I am also going to be adding a gamechanger 68 and purchase the 84 base to have both options. Thanks to all that have chimed in!

Reactions: cf1
It’s a fine choice. After owning several dozen razors it’s my most used. Pairs nicely with a stainless steel handle too.
Thought that I had replied here, but I went ahead and purchased an R89. I am also going to be adding a gamechanger 68 and purchase the 84 base to have both options. Thanks to all that have chimed in!

So just to give an update. I did go ahead and purchase the Gamechanger 0.68 and just had my first shave with it. I can honestly say I am a bit suprised by its lack of aggression. It seems like a nice razor , but almost mimics the aggression of the R89. Might end up ordering the 0.84 base plate. I feel that the razor definitely delivers incredible value at its price point. I would even recommend it to a beginner to the hobby. Thanks all!

Top Bottom