What's new

Recommendation to Replace DE89

Looked into the karve overlander, seems difficult to source in SS. Thoughts on a tatara masamune coming from my old DE89?
This ought to keep you busy for as while ;-)

... Thom

Looked into the karve overlander, seems difficult to source in SS. Thoughts on a tatara masamune coming from my old DE89?
I didn't mention before, but I have heard great things about this razor as well.

Thoughts on a tatara masamune coming from my old DE89?
I think the trick with the Masamune is to get the combination of base plate and cap to your liking. There is a chart here that gives the possible combinations.

The Masamune is known for being quite mild, but it has a relatively long guard span which, like the Muramasa on mild settings, can be navigated to get closer than one would expect with negative blade exposure.

All of this said, the Masamune probably does not get you more aggressive than the DE89 unless you start adding components (base plates or a cap) from the Nadochi version. Even then, I'm not sure. (The Muramasa on 5 - slightly more exposure than full Nadochi, if I recall - seems more aggressive than a DE89, but I don't really go to on that setting except as an occasional experiment for a small stroke.)

This ought to keep you busy for as while ;-)

... Thom
I completely agree with following this link. I don't post in the Alliance, but I follow it. The gents there certainly have the specific knowledge to perhaps help you fine tune which combination of base plates and cap would work best for what you are looking for to help you decide if this is a viable path forward or not.

A replacement Muhle DE89 head usually costs $20-25. You could order a replacement Merkur razor head from the Dovo website for a similar cost.

If you are handy, the threaded piece that broke off can probably be extracted. The trick involves using Superglue.

Take a piece of stout coathanger wire or thin metal rod. Apply a drop or two of Superglue to the end. Press this onto the broken off metal piece threaded into the handle. Allow the glue to cure. Now, you should be able to gently unscrew the broken metal piece from the handle.

This is a fairly low cost solution for the problem.

This is why I love Badger and Blade. No matter what kind of problem you have someone usually has a solution. Great idea NorthernSoul I think I will put that in my bag of tricks.

I give a plus one for the Progress, it's a fabulous razor. Did you know it's the only adjustable razor which has been produced non stop since it was released in 1955? Simply the best.

My other preferred razor is the Blackbird Blackland stainless steel machined. Maybe you'd like it better with a lite plate if your skin is sensitive.

Those are my two preferred razors but I have not tried GC and Lupo and Tatara for aesthetic reason. I don't like the RR handles and the Tatara 80s futurist look. And I like when razors are sold with only one or two dedicated handles because it means the razor maker has given a lot of attention to the balance and the aesthetic of the object.

In practice, since it bought it, I almost always shave with my BB and when I try another razor I feel it's not as good as the BB, except for the Progress. I acquired my BB in April.

I second the Pearl Blaze, excellent razor best price for the quality. The Flexi, I have found it too heavy for it's very compact size.

In a mild razor, Kai blades are also a good way to grow exposure and thus efficiency, and they are in the mild range of aggression, they should content everyone.

Enjoy your quest!

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Sir, here below is what I would do in your shoes: buy a RazoRock Game Changer 68P and another Edwin Jagger DE89. The RR GC68P is all made in Stainless Steel, will last a lifetime and does provide super smooth, comfortable shaves, still being very mild on the skin. Why another EJ DE89? Well, if you have used it for 10 years it's likely that you really like it. I love mine and would never be without. A superb alternative to the EJ DE89 is the Mühle R89, which shares the exact same head and also features brass threads.

Sir, here below is what I would do in your shoes: buy a RazoRock Game Changer 68P and another Edwin Jagger DE89. The RR GC68P is all made in Stainless Steel, will last a lifetime and does provide super smooth, comfortable shaves, still being very mild on the skin. Why another EJ DE89? Well, if you have used it for 10 years it's likely that you really like it. I love mine and would never be without. A superb alternative to the EJ DE89 is the Mühle R89, which shares the exact same head and also features brass threads.
So I have taken your advice , just ordered a muhle R89 ( my understanding is it has a brass screw for more durability). I am going to continue looking for other razors, and now this opens me up to even go a bit higher on the aggression scale as I will own more than one razor. I appreciate all the help everyone has provided, and certainly welcome comments/suggestions given this route. Thanks!

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
So I have taken your advice , just ordered a muhle R89 ( my understanding is it has a brass screw for more durability). I am going to continue looking for other razors, and now this opens me up to even go a bit higher on the aggression scale as I will own more than one razor. I appreciate all the help everyone has provided, and certainly welcome comments/suggestions given this route. Thanks!
Sir, try as many razors and razor/blade combinations as possible. At the end of your journey you'll be able to identify by yourself what works best for you.

My all-time favourite setup is a very mild razor combined with an extremely sharp blade. The mild razor takes care of my sensitive skin, while the sharp blade tames my tough beard!

Just be aware of the accurate and often rather witty sniper fire from some long-established members that such actions will occasionally attract.

Such Gentlemen score fatal hits at the first shot at ranges of over 15 years.

@HoosierTrooper you have a target.
There is nothing wrong with resurrecting old threads if the person doing so can add something useful to it, or it might be an interesting thread that could prove useful to new members. The ones I don’t get are the long dead threads that have run their course and someone brings it back for no reason, or to give advice for a problem that occurred years ago. A good example is one that was drug back from the dead in the last day or so from 2009. The person resurrected it just to say “interesting” and then another member quoted the OP who, by the way, hasn’t been seen since 2013, and began giving him advice for a problem he had fourteen years ago. I’ll just never understand why?

Thank you for the suggestion, wont be able to swap head as the handle now has the threaded portion of the head stuck in it. So need a totally new razor.

Considerations if you like the de89 and don't want an unknown quantity:

1) The Muhle r89 head is available seperately and identical to the de89 head except that it has a brass thread. It will be more durable than the de89 thread.
2) As you also need a handle, a cheap stainless handle will pair nicely with the r89 head and the extra weight just nudges up the aggression slightly. I have many razors. The r89 head on a stainless handle is still a staple in my den.

If you don't want to spend too much, you can get a Maggard V3 head (copy of the de89) on one of their own-brand stainless handles for just $25. That's value.

If you want to spend more money then you already have lots of good recommendations for things in the $70-$300 range. Personally, I would bypass the Henson. It's becoming a default recommendation for beginners, but if you already have 10 years under your belt shaving with a traditional design and like the shave you get, then clever though the Henson is, it may feel too much like a cartridge razor. That's how I find it, but YMMV.

Personally, I would bypass the Henson. It's becoming a default recommendation for beginners, but if you already have 10 years under your belt shaving with a traditional design and like the shave you get, then clever though the Henson is, it may feel too much like a cartridge razor. That's how I find it, but YMMV.
This is a good summary of my opinion of the Henson as well. It is very well made, but IMO there are better options for the price.

The R89 is a fine razor. I bought it as a model R103 (which is really just the R89 with a tortoiseshell handle). I use the lightweight tortoiseshell handle with my stainless steel R41 head, and I use the R89 head with a shim and a heavier Maggard handle. For me these configurations work nicely.

There is nothing wrong with resurrecting old threads if the person doing so can add something useful to it, or it might be an interesting thread that could prove useful to new members. The ones I don’t get are the long dead threads that have run their course and someone brings it back for no reason, or to give advice for a problem that occurred years ago. A good example is one that was drug back from the dead in the last day or so from 2009. The person resurrected it just to say “interesting” and then another member quoted the OP who, by the way, hasn’t been seen since 2013, and began giving him advice for a problem he had fourteen years ago. I’ll just never understand why?
B&B is partly at fault for some of this, I think. When a person wants to start a new thread a list of other similar threads appears, even long dead ones, and the person is asked if this has already been discussed.

Top Bottom