What's new

Recommendation for buying a Pilot Vanishing Point

I would like to try out a Vanishing Point (capless or Decimo) as an everyday carry pen. I see a certain large online auction site has new ones for sell shipping directly from Japan. Has anyone purchased from one of these vendors? The prices are significantly lower than buying from established pen retailers, so that had me a bit worried (i.e., a too-good-to-be-true scenario).

I have not bought a Vanishing Point off of a Japanese dealer from said auction site (I bought mine from Goulet).

That being said, I have noticed that some of the Japanese sellers of Vanishing Points sell a version that comes with a steel nib instead of 18k gold. That may explain the better than expected prices.

Engeika.com is a highly-regarded Japanese seller with excellent prices. To see the Pilot product lineup, you'll need to create an account, but it's easy and you won't get bombarded with emails.

I...I have noticed that some of the Japanese sellers of Vanishing Points sell a version that comes with a steel nib instead of 18k gold. That may explain the better than expected prices.

I checked the auctions/BINs, and you are right, these feature 'special alloy' nibs. I missed that when browsing the pens earlier.

Engeika.com is a highly-regarded Japanese seller with excellent prices.

Thanks for the vendor info. I checked the site, and I see they offer good prices, and I even see some with the 'special alloy' nibs like on the auction site.

The special alloy nib isn't bad but the 18k gold nib is much better. If I had not used the 18k before the alloy nib I would still be happy. I love my VP's. The Binderized VP nib I picked up is amazing.

I have two. One purchased from a vendor and the other from Ebay. The one from Ebay came with a broad nib with I had converted into a cursive italic and it writes really smooth. The cost for the pen originally was $80. You can find good VP at $80-$100 on Ebay if you look for them.

My first Vanishing Point was from Engeika on eBay, not his own web site, and had a medium alloy nib. The nib is quite good, but later, when I got another VP from Richard Binder (who no longer sells them) with a fine 18k nib, I found it to be more to my taste. I'm not sure how much of that is due to the nib material, and how much was its "Binderization".

By the way, I've never seen it explicitly stated what the alloy is. One would assume that it's gold plated steel, but that's just an assumption. I do trust Pilot quality enough that I wouldn't worry about it, though.

Most US dealers seem to include the piston mechanism CON-50 adapter with these pens. Engeika included the cheaper squeeze filled CON-20 instead. I actually prefer that adapter to the CON-50, but even more than that, I like to use a refilled Pilot cartridge. The pen comes with a metal cap that you put over the cartridge to keep the click mechanism from deforming it.

Carts work much better than the piston converter and a lot of ink bottles don't get along. Iroshizuku work for a bit until you're super low on ink. Edelstein bottles don't work very well with them.

I'm leaning toward the Decimo due to the lighter weight and cost compared to the original capless.

For those with a Decimo, what color did you pick and why?

I'm leaning toward the Decimo due to the lighter weight and cost compared to the original capless.

For those with a Decimo, what color did you pick and why?

I purchased a metallic grey Decimo from Rakuten and had a descent purchasing experience but it wasn't as fast as my dealings with reputable auction site sellers. The grey is a nice dignified color and I really wanted a silver trim so it was the best option for me. I love the Decimo and wrote with Pilot Hi-Tec C pens prior to finding fountain pens so the standard VP is just too bulky for my liking.

If you go the Decimo route you will not be disappointed.

Top Bottom