What's new

Recommend me a computer game

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
I want to ask for an advice in finding two kind of computer games.

I remember the times years ago when I used to spend my days and nights playing Counter Strike 1.6. That game was genius. But that was long ago and now I don't have a clue about computer games. I want a really good shooter game that is actually so good it's addictive.

Another type of games I want an advice about are combat flight simulators. I know about "DCS World", I installed it and tried to play but could not find a manual of all the different buttons that control the game. Please advice me about great combat flight simulators.

Thanks in advance.

I bought our first home PC in 1993. I had a PC at work, but after a cousin's husband told me about Doom, I convinced my wife the kids could use one for school work. By mid to late 90s, I was running Doom games on the network when bosses were out of the office. Fun times. I always liked FPS games. I still have a box of 90s/00s computer games in my basement. Up until Windows 7, I had no problem getting them to run. Now in my late 70s, I need slower FPS games, and mostly flip-flop between Skyrim (on Steam), and Diablo II Resurrected (offline) on Battlenet. It was easier (with better graphics) to repurchase old (remastered) games on Steam, like Half-Life (Black Mesa) and Half-Life 2, and the Diablo II Resurrected on Battlenet. I still occasionally enjoy playing Half-Life (Black Mesa) and HL 2 on Steam. Unfortunately I never played simulator games.

Used to play Halo with my kids. I liked it. However, to be honest, I haven’t played in a couple of years as life got busy and the kids became adults and most no longer live here.

Used to play Halo with my kids. I liked it. However, to be honest, I haven’t played in a couple of years as life got busy and the kids became adults and most no longer live here.

Do you want a simulation of gritty combat, or something like an arcade shooter? Futuristic sci-fi?

What era of aircraft are you interested in? Something historical, like WW2 fighters, or more modern jets?

I haven't played in quite a while, so my suggestions might be really old. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

lasta

Blade Biter
Counter Strike is still around!

I never tried DCS, but have an on again off again relationship with War Thunder. Sometimes I find it addictive, other times I close the game via end task because I can't get out of it fast enough!

I'm looking for simulation of gritty combat. As similar to reality as possible.

Reality would not be very fun, I'm afraid. That's the problem with realism. You would probably spend most of the time sitting around waiting for something to happen before all hell breaks loose, while taking orders from someone you have never met many miles away. You must not shower for a week and sleep in your clothes.

Jokes aside, something like Arma 3 which is quite old at this point comes to mind. It's basically a military sandbox. It is not just playing the same story over and over, it is more of a simulation. It can be very brutal and unforgiving. You are not a super-soldier. It can be slow-paced. What makes it more interesting is it allows for a lot of customization and even content creation from the users. You might want to look at some online videos to get an idea.

If you like action/adventure games, njpaddy is right, the Diablo series is terrific! I'm playing Diablo 4 with my wife.

I watched a couple of videos of Diablo 4, but it seemed too busy and fast for my age. I've been playing Diablo II off and on for over 20 years, but don't remember ever beating the final boss. For me getting to the final boss in any game was my goal, and I often skipped the final battle. I loved the original Diablo and even have the Hellfire disc adding 2 levels, but I wasn't able to install it after XP. That game is probably too old and was deemed not worth remastering.

My favorite "puzzle" games on Steam, like Portal and Portal 2 are limited to getting out of a room, and are great fun. Others like Talos, are more open ended (like Myst), and not as much fun for me.

Anyone play "World of Warships"? I see The History Guy youtuber promote it during some of his videos. I think it is mostly about recreating/simulating WW2 battles and might be free to download. But I also got the impression it requires a lot of $ while playing in order to get access to bigger class ships or guns to really have fun. I have not tired playing any game released in the last decade but am curious about them as well.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
1706897432423.png

Top Bottom