What's new

Razor Emporium and Poor Service - READ POST 43

I called about a week ago and guess what they said oh its been sold by accident.

It's one thing if they screw up and lose a razor you bought on eBay. Quite another if it was your Grandfather's last razor that was passed down to you. This is what scares the crap out of me about this service. I used them once (coincidentally also a 59 Fatboy), and it came back looking nice but it doesn't close very well. What was supposed to be a shaver is now a display piece/dust gatherer.

The plating job looks perfect. I guess I am a bit confused, if they did a great job why wouldn't you use them again? As someone who has sent car parts off to platers, the wait to get parts back can be a year. Very few people do this anymore due to the toxic nature of the chemicals used in the plating process and EPA requirements. A 2-3 month wait doesn't seem so bad for what looks like an outstanding job. Certainly their website indicates a significant wait. I did the search on the past forums and saw the problems but this experience looks pretty good to me.
Rob

Well after doing more research and recommendations from other members, I have found another plate shop that can do it faster and for less money. Plus, there was an issue another member experienced in which he sent a cased fatboy for plating but instead of plating it, they sold it! So in order to avoid any future issues, I'd rather take my business elsewhere. I'm not upset with the replate whatsoever, it's just the "peace of mind" issue.

Last edited:
Well after doing more research and recommendations from other members, I have found another plate shop that can do it faster and for less money. Plus, there was an issue another member experienced in which he sent a cased fatboy for plating but instead of plating it, they sold it! So in order to avoid any future issues, I'd rather take my business elsewhere.

Just curious, who did you find for future plating and what does replacing cost these days?

That looks like a great site. What do they get on average for a razor re-plating job as I didn't see prices quoted anywhere.

That looks like a great site. What do they get on average for a razor re-plating job as I didn't see prices quoted anywhere.

Here's what they quoted to me about a month ago:

On Sunday, January 13, 2013, Reliable Plating <[email protected]> wrote:

> We routinely polish and plate razors in nickel,.rhodium, gold, or occasionally silver. .The twist-to-open razors are $45 in nickel, $55 in rhodium or silver and $65 in gold. .The 3-piece razors are $5 less in each finish and toggle razors are $10 more in each finish. .Shipping and handling would add $8 per package. .Our processing time is currently taking about 4-6 weeks. .If you'd like to send your razors for refinishing, our shipping and contact info is below. .We accept MasterCard, Visa, American Express, Discover, & PayPal, payable on completion.
> Thank you for your inquiry.
> Dale Broadbent
> Reliable Electroplating, Inc.
> 304 West Main St.
> PO Box 91
> Chartley, MA .02712
> 508-222-0620
> 508-222-0921 FAX
> www.ReliableElectroplating.com

Here's what they quoted to me about a month ago:

On Sunday, January 13, 2013, Reliable Plating <[email protected]> wrote:

> We routinely polish and plate razors in nickel,.rhodium, gold, or occasionally silver. .The twist-to-open razors are $45 in nickel, $55 in rhodium or silver and $65 in gold. .The 3-piece razors are $5 less in each finish and toggle razors are $10 more in each finish. .Shipping and handling would add $8 per package. .Our processing time is currently taking about 4-6 weeks. .If you'd like to send your razors for refinishing, our shipping and contact info is below. .We accept MasterCard, Visa, American Express, Discover, & PayPal, payable on completion.
> Thank you for your inquiry.
> Dale Broadbent
> Reliable Electroplating, Inc.
> 304 West Main St.
> PO Box 91
> Chartley, MA .02712
> 508-222-0620
> 508-222-0921 FAX
> www.ReliableElectroplating.com

wow - I like the sound of that!

The plating job looks perfect. I guess I am a bit confused, if they did a great job why wouldn't you use them again?

I find this thread to be rather odd as well. "The plating job came out great...There wasn't much of a hassle as others have experienced...I most likely won't be using them again for any future plating."

The third statement doesn't seem like a logical conclusion based on your experience. Rather than conclude you were lucky, or use other people's bad experience to taint your admittedly good experience, why not offer this up as a positive for this vendor? The fact that you thought it took too long is certainly valid, but it doesn't sound like the timeframe was that unreasonable.

Not that the discussion of other plating choices isn't warranted, but it seems a shame that the takeaway here comes off as a negative for a company who did a good job for you.

I find this thread to be rather odd as well. "The plating job came out great...There wasn't much of a hassle as others have experienced...I most likely won't be using them again for any future plating."

The third statement doesn't seem like a logical conclusion based on your experience. Rather than conclude you were lucky, or use other people's bad experience to taint your admittedly good experience, why not offer this up as a positive for this vendor? The fact that you thought it took too long is certainly valid, but it doesn't sound like the timeframe was that unreasonable.

Not that the discussion of other plating choices isn't warranted, but it seems a shame that the takeaway here comes off as a negative for a company who did a good job for you.

if you research and look, you will find more horror stories and many are not willing to take the chance. if i sent off a sentimental razor and they sold it on me, replated it incorrectly, send the wrong one back, i would not be impressed.

there are too many stories like this and you are better off with one of the B&B vendors who will do it quicker, better and cheaper.

everyone is free to replate where they want and RE is one i will never use based on reputation and feedback from B&B. i don't care how great they are talked about by a few people or on other smaller forums, to me it's not worth the risk.

This is my choice and my opinion. Take it for what it's worth. Nearly three months for a razor replate. Razor Emporium doesn't do their plating "in house", they are a storefront. They send razors off to a plate shop. This place: http://www.reliableelectroplating.com/index.html does theirs in house and have a 4 week turnaround. Additionally, communicating with Dale at Reliable is excellent. Their prices are cheaper. They have experience in plating a broad range of items. They've been in the business since '32. I can keep going. My fault is, had I queried the forum before jumping on board with the Emporium, I would have found out they were a banned vendor on this site. That says alot of a company that is banned from this site. The Administrators of this forum just don't haphazardly ban vendors on a whim.

Like I said, I consider myself lucky and didn't have a problem other than the wait, but, I will take my future business elsewhere for my own piece of mind. Everyday, for the 2 and a half months the razor was gone, I thought about it and if I made the wrong decision to use them, but, I already sent it and had to see the process through. I have a '65 Slim I sent off to Reliable, and guess what, I'm not thinking about it. That in itself, is worth the switch. As with anything on this forum, YMMV. You may, in the future, decide to use the Emporium for plating one of your razors and I hope you have a good experience like I did. But, then again, you may not.

Last edited:
I'm looking to have my fat boy adjustable replated, does Reliable clean the razor thoroughly before replating or is that my responsibility? Is there anyone else you guys recommend?

I'm looking to have my fat boy adjustable replated, does Reliable clean the razor thoroughly before replating or is that my responsibility? Is there anyone else you guys recommend?

I'm currently having my 58 Fatboy replated by Krona Kruiser. I've heard only great things about his work and he has a gallery of his work so you can see the quality of his work. He's been great so far, he sent me a razor to use in the interim while mine is away. I recommend him just based off his customer service alone!

Top Bottom