What's new

Razor Emporium and Poor Service - READ POST 43

Lol, that's fine as I have no dog in the fight. I'm aware of his past indiscretions, but he's grown as has the community... if there was something new, good or bad, let's see it. Personally, he's been good to me, but I can see how others can feel differently about engaging with them. I'm curious what your issue is.
I for one will only say that imo, I fully disagree with what you posted above and he's not grown enough and has a very long way to go respectfully!!

I posted this in another thread about RE earlier in the day so I'll share it here also...

"I never had to buy anything from the **Arizona Shills as there were already, in place, enough bad reviews about poor service, quality, and dishonesty in they're daily business practices for me to make an educated decision that I wouldn't be the next victim for them to cheat!!"

**Arizona Shills = RE & PAA

Was it last year or the year before when he had a load of vintage Gillette replicas made in China and he was passing them off as replated originals on his site? I recall he made the description confusing and contradictory enough that he could claim it was a cut and paste error if he got into trouble. But he knew very well what he was doing. I think we only learned they were Chinese made because a member here inquired.

Edit: it’s in this thread, starting with this post, and it was just last year…
Post in thread 'Razor Emporium and Poor Service - READ POST 43'
Razor Emporium and Poor Service - READ POST 43 - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/razor-emporium-and-poor-service-read-post-43.274682/post-11825976

Was it last year or the year before when he had a load of vintage Gillette replicas made in China and he was passing them off as replated originals on his site? I recall he made the description confusing and contradictory enough that he could claim it was a cut and paste error if he got into trouble. But he knew very well what he was doing. I think we only learned they were Chinese made because a member here inquired.

Edit: it’s in this thread, starting with this post, and it was just last year…
Post in thread 'Razor Emporium and Poor Service - READ POST 43'
Razor Emporium and Poor Service - READ POST 43 - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/razor-emporium-and-poor-service-read-post-43.274682/post-11825976
Great memory @Mr. Shavington and great sleuthing on your part... I love how he even through PAA under the bus too!!

Based on RE's YT videos, I was initially impressed with the company. Now, I wouldn't dream of taking a chance purchasing any service or product from them. I've used BRG twice and have been impressed with the work, how quickly it's done, and how Chris is so generous with his time answering my questions.
Im fore sure never goin back to RE, im only gonna use BRG. Chris is the real deal, ive never heard anything negative about BRG

I have bought refurbed/re-plated Super Speeds from both RE and BRG. The one Chris sent had excessive knob drop, the one from RE was fine. I contacted Chris and he said to send it back and he'd fix it. He did. He apologized and wondered how he missed it in the first place. He returned it with some free blades for my trouble.

Late last year I sent an Aristocrat with missing end caps and worn plating to RE for a refurb/re-plate. I got it back last month with no problems.

I wonder how many people talking trash have ever been to Razor Emporium, or Spoke with Matt in person? This thread remind me of a person who habitually goes to same restaurant, get bad food, & service, but continue to complain about bad food & bad service.

Think in 30 years of business I blew it several times, always made it right, or fixed before good was noticed cover my behind, or assigmment.

No one work with public can make everyone happy, not even Santa Claus, kids who do not get everything the want from and on Santa's list even complain.

I wonder how many people talking trash have ever been to Razor Emporium, or Spoke with Matt in person? This thread remind me of a person who habitually goes to same restaurant, get bad food, & service, but continue to complain about bad food & bad service.

Think in 30 years of business I blew it several times, always made it right, or fixed before good was noticed cover my behind, or assigmment.

No one work with public can make everyone happy, not even Santa Claus, kids who do not get everything the want from and on Santa's list even complain.

YOU are keeping this thread alive and bumping it for others to see. The more people who read about their poor service the better.

So Thanks!

Last edited:
I just dropped a razor in the mail to RE for replating and expect a replated razor from their inventory this week. To say I am now nervous about everything is an understatement! I have one replated NEW OC Tech from RE that is pretty nice for a 1930s razor, and the price wasn't bad, so it's no big deal. If the razor coming from inventory doesn't look good, I'll probably return it and hopefully not have an issue. For the razor I sent in to be redone, I purchased a backup from eBay that I will send to Chris at Back Roads Gold to have replated. I wish I had encountered this thread sooner, and I hope I'll be one of the lucky ones with a good experience. Unfortunately, there is enough in this thread to keep me from shopping there in the future. Fingers crossed, this all works out, but at least I have a backup for the razor I sent for replating.

I just dropped a razor in the mail to RE for replating and expect a replated razor from their inventory this week. To say I am now nervous about everything is an understatement! I have one replated NEW OC Tech from RE that is pretty nice for a 1930s razor, and the price wasn't bad, so it's no big deal. If the razor coming from inventory doesn't look good, I'll probably return it and hopefully not have an issue. For the razor I sent in to be redone, I purchased a backup from eBay that I will send to Chris at Back Roads Gold to have replated. I wish I had encountered this thread sooner, and I hope I'll be one of the lucky ones with a good experience. Unfortunately, there is enough in this thread to keep me from shopping there in the future. Fingers crossed, this all works out, but at least I have a backup for the razor I sent for replating.
You can't go wrong with Back Roads Gold ... there's a reason he has a rock solid reputation

You can't go wrong with Back Roads Gold ... there's a reason he has a rock solid reputation
I am backing up my purchases from eBay to be covered. Once everything plays out with RE, I will move ahead to replating with Chris. RE is replating a 1941 Ranger, and I hope they do a good job, but if not, I have another Ranger headed my way that I will have Back Roads Gold take care of.

In all fairness, I purchased an original-condition 1958 Super Speed Red Tip from RE that is in perfect condition. Their tracking and email confirmation have also been very professional. It doesn't mean I will go to them in the future, but so far I have had good luck.

I am backing up my purchases from eBay to be covered. Once everything plays out with RE, I will move ahead to replating with Chris. RE is replating a 1941 Ranger, and I hope they do a good job, but if not, I have another Ranger headed my way that I will have Back Roads Gold take care of.

In all fairness, I purchased an original-condition 1958 Super Speed Red Tip from RE that is in perfect condition. Their tracking and email confirmation have also been very professional. It doesn't mean I will go to them in the future, but so far I have had good luck.
Every business makes mistakes - I ran one for a few years - how one handles issues obviously makes or breaks everything.
For me, any unscrupulous practice (or history thereof) wipes said business off my map entirely.

Every business makes mistakes - I ran one for a few years - how one handles issues obviously makes or breaks everything.
For me, any unscrupulous practice (or history thereof) wipes said business off my map entirely.
I agree with you. Mistakes happen in every business and hopefully things get put right. A lack of integrity, however, is inherent in the individual’s personality and this rarely changes. A person with no integrity will still do the right thing most of the time, when it suits them. But as soon as their integrity is tested - when doing the right thing has a real cost - this person will once again prove to be untrustworthy.

This is the consistent theme with Rex Shaving / Razor Emporium and nothing has changed over the years insofar as how Matt will behave when his personal interests don’t align with the customer’s. Nobody is saying that Matt goes into every transaction with the intent to defraud - it’s just that you can’t trust him if there is a problem and it would cost him to resolve it.

Last edited:
I know that posting here bumps all the bad experiences to the top of the queue, but I wanted to update you on my experience with RE so far. I have a razor being replated, and they have sent regular emails updating me on the progress. The vintage razors I ordered from their inventory were either in original condition or replated by RE and have been fantastic. The Pinaud aftershave I ordered was shipped quickly. I purchased an identical razor to the one RE is working on and sent it to Chris at Back Roads Gold so that I will have an A/B comparison before long. RE is doing the razor in Rhodium, and Chris is doing it in mirror Nickel. If I had seen this thread before I started making purchases from RE, I never would have gone through with the purchases, and I definitely would not have used their service for replating. Everyone needs to make their own decision, and there are plenty of options to avoid RE if that is your choice. However, they have an excellent inventory of replated vintage Gillette razors; in my experience, ordering those was fantastic. They have a return policy, so it shouldn't be a risk. I'll update with pictures when I get my replated razor back, but so far, so good. I was nervous about having a problem, but their regular, professional communication has calmed me considerably. To each their own.

Top Bottom