What's new

Rapidographs

Are the fountain pens similiar to rapidographs in the sense that there is a ball that works as a check value and when pressed releases a certain flow of ink? Also, I was trained in the graphic arts field and when we used our rapidographs there were an array of different tip/head sizes...is that the same on these pens?

No, there is no ball to work as a check valve. Basically, they work like dipping a straw into your drink and putting a thumb on the end to hold in the liquid. Essentially, the ink just flows down the feed slowly.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
No, there is no ball to work as a check valve. Basically, they work like dipping a straw into your drink and putting a thumb on the end to hold in the liquid. Essentially, the ink just flows down the feed slowly.

Yep, that's exactly it -- capillary action. Held there against gravity by intermolecular forces. And keep your tiny tubes clean!

Windex.

Seriously. Soak the parts in Windex for a week, changing the solution every day.

Old thread, but I thought I'd throw this in. I had a bunch of old Rapidographis that sat unused for 10 years, and Windex unclogged them.

I used Koh-in-Noor Rapidographs for artwork (pointillist illustrations). Used the real dense fade-proof black inks too. Windex (well, the store housebrand equivalent) worked like a charm.

If you are mechanically inclined, you can successfully disassemble the larger rapidographs, clean the parts, and reassemble them. The smaller sizes become much harder to reassemble. I learned how to do so while running a computer with a plotter attached to it. The plotter was used frequently, but not frequently enough to keep all the sizes from clogging. At any given time, I would have several being soaked, in the ultrasonic cleaner, or disassembled.

Yes, that's what I did do. I fully disassembled the pens.

Am looking into an ultrasonic cleaner as well, which I can use for other purposes as well.

Top Bottom